[MyAppleMenu] Aug 27, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 27 13:15:02 EDT 2008

**** Password Protected iPhones Can Be Unlocked Without A Password <http://www.macworld.com/article/135236/2008/08/iphonepassword.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Sayer, IDG News Service
Private information stored in Apple's iPhone and protected by a lock code can be accessed by anyone with just a few button presses.

**** Mystery 'iPHone Girl' Generates Internet Intrigue <http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iwOX_zw8yRRF6BVPJZSpLiujQiYw>
by The Canadian Press
Pictures of an Asian factory worker found on a new iPhone sold to a British customer have generated keen discussion on the internet about her identity - and her fate.

**** Apple's Corporate Food Court O' Plenty: Reviewed! <http://www.maclife.com/article/feature/apple&iacute;s_corporate_food_court_o&iacute;_plenty_reviewed>
by Jon Philips, Mac|Life
Caffe Mac&mdash;legend or fact? Does this Shangri-la of no-compromise corporate consumables actually exist? And if Caffe Mac does exist, does its menu roundly trump the "food" we /Mac|Life/ staffers must hunt and gather within the hostile-to-haute-cuisine hinterlands of our own corporate HQ?

**** The Cute "iPhone Girl" In Apple iPhone 3G! <http://www.liewcf.com/blog/archives/2008/08/the-cute-iphone-girl-in-apple-iphone-3g/>
by LiewCF.com

**** After The Core 2 Duo Chip, What's Next For Apple Laptops? <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9113542&intsrc=news_ts_head>
by Dan Turner, Computerworld
Hitting the sweet spot between too slow and fast enough is critical.

**** iTunes App Store: Mobile Revolution? <http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=23171>
by Kathleen Richards, Application Development Trends
Could the App Store do for mobile software what iTunes did for music and video?

**** Why Does Apple Get A Break? <http://blogs.computerworld.com/why_does_apple_get_a_break>
by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, Computerworld
In a way, these most proprietary of all platforms, Macs, iPhones and iPods, are also the most successful of all open-source platforms.

**** Call For Content Ratings On Apple's App Store <http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20252/1151/>
by Stephen Withers, iTWire
Apple already tag tracks in the iTunes Store that are unsuitable for children and it sells R rated movies, so why isn't there something similar for content such as books and comics in the App Store?
/Or maybe Apple is preparing for a e-book store, so the 'problem' will be sovled come September?/

**** 'Think Different' Is What Makes Apple Stand Out <http://www.livemint.com/2008/08/27003633/8216Think-Different8217.html?h=B>
by Michael Lee Stallard, Wall Street Journal
Apple stands out in a world of bland corporate identities and product designs. Its visual identity, store design and product design are inspiring. They touch people on an emtional level when most products fail to inspire.

**** Apple Misled iPhone Users Over Web Access, Says Watchdog <http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10529240>
by Martin Hickman, New Zealand Herald
The Apple iPhone fails to give users complete access to the internet, the British govenment's media watchdog rules today.
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said the combined phone, music player and computer is flawed because of the absense of two common websit eprogrammes, Flash and Java. As a result, the ASA said Apple's claim that the iPhone gave access to 'all parts of the internet' misled customers about its power as a web browser.

**** Business Suddenly Discovers The Mac <http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/business/appleaday/blog/2008/08/business_suddenly_discovers_th.html>
by David Zeiler, Baltimore Sun
Somewhere along the way the efforts to win over consumers, particularly its emphasis on ease of use, began to sway opinions in the enterprise.

**** Mac Clone Maker Sues Apple, Plays Antitrust Card <http://www.macworld.com/article/135226/2008/08/psystar.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
The Mac clone maker sued by Apple last month fired back Tuesday with a countersuit charging Apple with restraint of trade, unfair competition and other violations of antitrust law.

**** Apple Bans Murderdrome iPhone App <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/08/26/apple.pulls.another.app/>
by MacNN
Apple has banned the comic book iPhone app Murderdrome, its creators claim.

**** Whipping The Apple TV Into Shape <http://www.macworld.com/article/135217/2008/08/whipappletv.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Sound Studio 3.5.7 Released <http://www.macworld.com/article/135213/2008/08/soundstudio.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Promising Prospect: FlexCal 1.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/135201/2008/08/prospectflexcal.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
Since installing FlexCal, I find myself rarely opening iCal to create events and tasks; I look forward to future versions for bug fixes and new features.

**** Next Steps For E-Texts <http://insidehighered.com/news/2008/08/26/etextbooks>
by Andy Guess, Inside Higher Ed
Developments in hardware accompany a batch of new initiatives and partnerships from colleges as well as stakeholders not popularly associated with radical change in the industry: textbook publishers themselves, and independent bookstores.

**** How Hard Could It Be?: How I Learned To Love Middle Managers <http://www.inc.com/magazine/20080901/how-hard-could-it-be-how-i-learned-to-love-middle-managers.html?partner=fogcreek>
by Joel Spolsky, Inc
I hoped to create a utopian workplace. Instead, I caused an employee revolt.

**** The Anti-Restaurants <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/27/dining/27boar.html?ref=dining>
by Melena Ryzik, New York Times
Mainstream it's not &mdash; and that's just how the organizers like it.

**** Love Food? Think Twice Before Jumping In <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/27/dining/27fail.html>
by Micheline Maynard, New York Times
Running a restaurant has perhaps never been so tempting, thanks in part to the Food Network and celebrity chefs, but statistics show it is still very easy to fail.

**** Spell It Like It Is <http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php?/site/article/5574/>
by Frank Furedi, Spiked
Celebrating variant truths, like variant spellings, is presented as a pluralistic gesture of tolerance.

**** First, Crack Them Open (Like Americans Do!) <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/27/dining/27fortune.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Jennifer 8. Lee, New York Times
The instructions on the red wrapper are very explicit: (1) Open the packaging. (2) Use both hands to break open the fortune cookie. (3) Retrieve and read the fortune. (4) Eat the cookie.
In China, such details are necessary, it seems.

**** Why We Shouldn't Still Be Learning Catcher In The Rye <http://www.goodmagazine.com/section/Stimuli/anne_trubek_on_why_we_shouldnt_still_be_learning_catcher_in_the_rye>
by Anne Trubek, Good
Don't some of Holden's younger siblings deserve the end-of-the-year spot in sophomore English?

**** Yom Kippur <http://www.slate.com/id/2196656/?from=rss>
by Philip Schultz, Slate

**** Parliament Rejects Motion To Fine-Tune Electoral System <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/372092/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Parliament has rejected a motion tabled by Nominated MP Thio Li-Ann for amendments to the Parliamentary Elections Act to allow by-elections to be called in a Group Representation Constituency (GRC) when a member vacates his or her seat for any reason.
Prime minister Lee Hisen Loong, who joined the debate in Parliament on themotion, stressed that there are no practical problems with a vacant seat in Jurong GRC and that the party, which the poeple had voted for, will still take care of residents - a benefit of the GRC system.
/However, Jurong GRC citizens will have one less voice in Parliament. More seriously, one less vote in Parliament./

**** No Change To 24-Week Limit For Unrestricted Abortions <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/372089/1/.html>
by Lynda Hong, Channel NewsAsia
Health minister Khaw Boon Wan on Wednesday said that one less abortion does not mean one more baby for Singapore.

**** MOM Rejects Call For Parent-Care Leave <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/372046/1/.html>
by Valarie Tan, Channel NewsAsia
Giving employees additional days off on top of their annual leave to care for sick parents will increase business costs and discourage companies from setting up in Singapore, said senior parliamentary secretary for manpower Hawazi Daipi.

**** Free Fruits In Singapore: Yishun Park <http://seenthisscenethat.blogspot.com/2008/08/free-fruits-in-singapore-yishun-park.html>
by Seen This Scene That
The most difficult to lay hands on at Yishun Park are the durians.

**** Of Dual Citizenship, National Service, Exemptions And Your CPF Money <http://blog.simplyjean.com/2008/08/26/of-dual-citizenship-national-service-exemptions-and-your-cpf-money/>
by Simply Jean

**** The Condescension Of A Ruler Towards His Peasants <http://chiatilik.wordpress.com/2008/08/27/the-condescension-of-a-ruler-towards-his-peasants/>
by Chia Ti Lik

**** Temasek Loves Wall Street <http://dealbreaker.com/2008/08/temasek_loves_wall_street.php>
by John Carney, Dealbreaker
Temasek probably has too much money to invest. It has far more assets than is necessary for hedging government portfolios against cyclical downturns. It would arguably do better to return a large portion of its wealth to the people of Singapore as a dividend, where indivduals at different stages in their lives could spend and invest the dividend to suit their needs.

**** Ring In The Rise Of The 3G <http://www.straitstimes.com/Digital%2BLife/Play/Story/STIStory_272164.html>
by Grace Chng, Straits Times
Not only does Apple's 3G iPhone have 100 new features, the craze over it will also up mobile data usage.

**** Passed, But Passed Over <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_272244.html>
by Koh Hwee Choo, Straits Times
Do not blame them or call them 'quitters' for not coming back to Singapore, as they were rejected by our local universities first.
See Also:
Local Universities, Not Students, Decide <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_272245.html>, by Lim Hui Chin, Straits Times. Not all of us decide against an education in NUS. It is NUS who decides against us.

**** Brains And Batteries Included <http://www.xtralicious.com/2008/08/26/missing-integrity/>
by Xtralicious
The trust, relationship, partnership, faith, goodwill and morale in question have already been destroyed.

**** The Ever Redundant Opposition <http://youngpapblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/ever-redundant-opposition.html>
by Nicholas Lazzarus, Young PAP Blog
The opposition seems to have no part in this interaction between the people and their govenment. And there is no need too.
/This is an extremely shortsighted view of the role of oppostion, the role of Parliament, and the role of the democratic process./

**** Life As A Competition <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/08/youth-life-competition-and-stress.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
In the psychological landscape of Singaporeans, parenthood has become the equivalent of "CCAs". It's the thing you might really, really love to do. But your kiasu instincts are telling you that you can't take the /risk/; you might not have the /time/; you might not have the /money/; and it's much safer to just concentrate on your <strike>final-year exams</strike> career.

**** K Shanmugam's Remarks On Acquittals In Law Could Open A Pandora's Box <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=545>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net
The Law minister's rehashing of the subject could open a pandora's box in which the public is given free reign to speculate on cases already closed and openly challenge verdicts. THat would wreck havoc on the lives of those who are factually innocent but had to endure a trial to clear their name.

**** Dr Lily Neo Speaks Out Vociferously Over Aid For Poorest Households <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=540>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net
It is sad that amongst all the voices in Parliament, Dr Lily Neo's is only one of the very few who speakout vociferously on behalf of the poor and lower-income families who have been marginalized by the "growth at all costs" policies of the PAP government.

**** For Lack Of Databases <http://www.dailybacktrack.com/index.php?/archives/719-For-lack-of-databases.html>
by Joel Tan, Daily Backtrack
It's just so bizzarre that with all the personal data we have to submit to /various databases/ over the course of our lives, something as simple as proving your student status eludes the power of MINDEF and inter-ministry data sharing.
/On the other hand, data privacy is also very important; we really should think carefully about maintaining our privacy before bitching about doing something as simple as asking a document from one body to submit to another./

**** Cepas-Compliant Ezlink Card 'Test-Rid' Volunteers Wanted Or Unwanted? <http://blog.alicecheong.com/?p=342>
by Alice Cheong In Wonderland
I really wonder why is there a need to make volunteering so difficult.
/I blame this on PR. This 'test-ride', to me, more like a test, not a PR exercise. And any test will need to have selection criteria so that the test is complete. (For example, you'd want commuters on both trains and buses.)/

**** No, LTA Did Not Say That
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
When I first linked to this Straits Times article <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_272050.html>, the article said: "The LTA said there is little to prevent a card issuer from giving the <new ez-link> card free of charge."
Now, the article has been edited to, instead, say: "Observers said there is little to prevent a card issuer from giving the card free of charge - like credit cards."