[MyAppleMenu] Aug 20, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 20 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** iTunes Blocked In China After Protest Stunt <http://www.smh.com.au/news/off-the-field/tibet-tunes-i-dont-think-so/2008/08/20/1218911831534.html>
by Stephen Hutcheon, Sydney Morning Herald
Access to Apple's online iTunes Store has been blocked in China after it emerged that Lympic athletes have been downloading and possibly listening to a pro-Tibetan music album in a subtle act of protest against China's rule over the province.

**** Mac Conversion <http://www.brianjarrett.com/2008/08/19/mac-conversion/>
by Brian Jarrett
I love this thing! I like so much about it it's tough to know where to begin.

**** Joe Nocera Of The New York Times On Steve Jobs, Talking Business And His Blog <http://racetalkblog.com/2008/08/19/joe-nocera-of-the-new-york-times-on-steve-jobstalking-business-and-his-blog/>
by Kyle Austin, RaceTalkBlog
"I think <Steve Jobs> was trying to turn a potential adversary into a potential ally-by whispering in my ear, he would be co-opting me, and in so-doing, turn the argument I was going to make in my column in his favor."

**** Australians Switch On To Apple Macs <http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24205071-8362,00.html>
by John O'Brien, Courier Mail
Australians are switching to Macs at a faster rate than almost anywhere else in the world.

**** What Apple Can Learn From Microsoft <http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2008/08/19/what-apple-can-learn-from-microsoft.aspx>
by Tim Beyers, Motley Fool
Following the leader is easy. /Being/ the leader isn't. Apple is finally getting a taste of what Microsoft has had to live with for years. Welcome to the big time, Mr. Mac. Innovate aggressively, course-correct often, and place customers above all else, and you'll enjoy a nice, long &mdash; though probably not-so-relaxing &mdash; stay at the top.

**** Apple's Biggest Innovation For 2008? The iPhone App Store <http://blogs.computerworld.com/apples_biggest_innovation_for_2008_the_apps_store>
by Seth Weintraub, Computerworld
Apple looks to have moved up the value chain in software distribution and revolutionized the software industry.
/Is the App Store as revolutionary as when Bill Gates started charging real money for software? I don't think so, but I'll be interested in what lessons Apple has learnt and will apply to the Macintosh market./

**** iPhone Shortage Lingers At Apple, AT&amp;T Stores <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/19/BUAT12E7CK.DTL>
by Anastasia Ustinova, San Francisco Chronicle
More than a month after the rollout of the iPhone 3G, Apple and partner AT&amp;T are still scrambling to keep the hot gadget on store shelves, but analysts predict the shortage might ease with the phone's premiere in Best Buy stores Sept. 7.

**** Jobs Personally Acknowledges iPhone Third-Party App Bug And Upcoming Fix <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9743>
by Jeff Carlson, TidBITS
Jobs clearly isn't bound by the secrecy he's imposed upon his employees, and, frankly, it's refreshing.

**** Why Apple's "Push Notification Service" Is Not Enough To Replace Background Processing <http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/2008/08/19/why-apple&iacute;s-&igrave;push-notification-service&icirc;-is-not-enough-to-replace-background-processing/>
by Thomas Fitzgerald
Apple should look into at some kind of limited background processing, or better still, have a built in notification service, running on the phone rathe rthan a server, that developers can tap into.
/But, nevertheless, polling for data is expensive, and it may well be better for Apple to run a reliable service on a remote server that developers can rely on./

**** Hope You Didn't Plan To Actually Make Calls On iPhone 2.0.2 <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/08/19/hope-you-didnt-plan-to-actually-make-calls-on-iphone-2-0-2>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
We were able to confirm that the update addresses a few 3G-related issues (but not some of the major 3G problems people are having quite yet), and overall, users are reporting apparent improvements to signal level and the ability to make calls. It's that last part&mdash;the ability to make calls&mdash;that is tanking for some /other/ users, however, thanks to the iPhone 2.0.2 update.

**** Delicious Library 2 Review <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/index.cfm?RSS&ReviewID=2735>
by Macworld UK
If you're looking to clear out and sell the clutter from your shelves, this'll make a long and tedious job fly by in no time. It will also appeal to folks who just like to know where everything is.

**** Apple Blames Scorching iPods On Battery Problem <http://www.macworld.com/article/135096/2008/08/ipodbattery.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Elizabeth Montalbano, IDG News Service
Apple is blaming a problem with overheating iPods in Japan on faulty batteries, the company said in a statement Tuesday. This problem, which Apple said is extremely rare, causes "failure and deformation of the iPod nano."

**** AudialHub 1.07 <http://www.macworld.com/article/135089/2008/08/audialhub.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
The folks who brought us VisualHub, Techspansion, have applied their cosiderable talents to the field of audio. The result is AudialHub, a similarly-easy utility for converting audio files.

**** Review: KidsGoGoGo 12.6 <http://www.macworld.com/article/135021/2008/08/kidsggg12.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Roman Loyola, Macworld
I'd really like to say that there's a lot of potential in KidsGoGoGo, but this Mac-only program, at version 12.6, has been around for years. You'd think that over that time KidsGoGoGo would've evolved into a more sophisticated program. But it hasn't.

**** For Sale: Your Browser History <http://www.slate.com/id/2198119/>
by Farhad Manjoo, Slate
Behavioral ad targeting, web companies' favorite new way to invade your privacy.

**** NewsCred Goes Public With Credibility-Based News Source <http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/08/19/newscred-goes-public-with-credibility-based-news-source/>
by Jason Kincaid, TechCrunch
NewsCred allows users to rate each story, author, and publication's credibility, which is then plugged into an algorithm to determine the site's prominent headlines.

**** Keeping Innovative Alive At Microsoft <http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,39463020,00.htm>
by Victoria Ho, ZDNet Asia
As managing director of Microsoft Research Asia, Hsiao-Wuen Hon leads a 10-year-old organisation that is the software giant's flagship research arm in the region, responsible for some 350 researchers and engineers.

**** The Battle For A Country's Soul <http://www.nybooks.com/articles/21716>
by Jane Mayer, New York Review Of Books
Seven years after al-Qaeda's attacks on America, as the Bush administration slips into histroy, it is clear that what began on September 11, 2001, as a battle for America's security became, and continue to be, a battle for the country's soul.

**** How Utterly, Splendidly Ripping <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/aug/20/costabookaward?gusrc=rss&feed=books>
by Lucy Mangan, The Guardian
Blyton's gold medal positio in this table is evidence that it is the books we read, wholeheartedly, passionately, uncritically, in childhood to which we remain most firmly and irrevocably attached. The flaws we see in them as adults, the criticisms - and some pretty hefty ones, in the shape of accusations of sexism, racism and class snobbery have been flung Blton's way over the years - do not weaken those bonds.

**** Why We Love Doing The iPod Shuffle <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/aug/19/randomness.shuffle?gusrc=rss&feed=music>
by Naomi Alderman, The Guardian
Whether listening to music on our iPods, surfing the net, shopping or travelling, there's something seductive about randomness.

**** How To: Solve The New York Times Crossword Puzzle <http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F04E1DB113FF93BA35757C0A9679C8B63&pagewanted=all>
by Will Shortz, New York Times
A crosssword puzzle is a battle between the puzzle maker and editor on one side and the solver on the other. But unlike most battles, both sides here have the same goal &mdash; for the solver to win. A perfect puzzle may put up lots of resistance. It may, in fact, seem impossible at first. Ideally, though, in the end the solver should triumph and think, Oh, how clever I am!

**** Recommendations On Managing New Media To Be Posted Online <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/370071/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia
Recommendations on how new media should be managed would be posted online for public feedback. According to the Advisory Council on the Impact of New Media on Society, this will be done later this month on its new website. The council was appointed in March last year.

**** Consumer Confidence In Singapore Falls For The First Time Since 2005 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/370040/1/.html>
by Nicholas Fang, Channel NewsAsia
Singaporeans became less positive about spending because of soaring inflation and rising prices of basic necessities.

**** Government To Co-Fund IVF Treatment As Part Of Enhanced Parenthood Package <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/370003/1/.html>
by Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia

>From next month, the government will co-fund half of the treatment cycle in public hospitals, for up to three cycles.

**** Singapore Hangs Out Jobs-Vacant Sign <http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/JH21Ae01.html>
by Megawati Wijaya, Asia Times
The government of this island state, seeking to keep the economy globally competitive, is driving a shift in the country's population make-up. This carries with it the political risk that locals will object to the influx of white-collar foreign workers who in droves are taking up the island state's highest-paying corporate jobs.

**** Employers Have Mixed Reactions To Enhanced Marriage And Parenthood Package <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/369948/1/.html>
by Chan Eu Imm, Channel NewsAsia
A survey by the the manpower ministry has found that more employers have embraced pro-family policies. But some employers have concerns about how the enhanced package will impact their operations.

**** Many Want To Retire Abroad <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_270104.html>
by Theresa Tan, Straits Times
Two-third of Singaporeans surveyed have considered moving to another country to retire. A slower pace of life and the lower cost of living are key reasons why they have thought of moving.
/And you won't easily get kicked out of your apartment by the government or your neighbours./

**** Patriotism, Singapore-Style Leh! <http://astronsnotebook.livejournal.com/26043.html>
by Astron's Notebook
If free speech must be sacrificed for the sake of national unity, then hurrah for patriotism, Singapore-style.

**** National Day Rally 2008: Political Liberalisation, Really? <http://searchingforenlightenment.blogspot.com/2008/08/national-day-rally-2008-political.html>
by Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker
I cannot help but feel doubtful that political films critical of the local political establishment would be easily allowed.

**** SingTel Dangles 'Free' iPhone 3G <http://www.straitstimes.com/Money/Story/STIStory_269907.html>
by Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times
The Apple iPhone 3G, which goes on sale this Friday, will be given out free to those willing to commit to a two-year, $205-a-month SingTel contract.

**** It's A Matter Of Trust, Really <http://www.straitstimes.com/Prime%2BNews/Story/STIStory_270011.html>
by Zuradiah Ibrahim, Straits Times
You can't vote for an avatar, said Mr Lee Hsien Loong at the National Day rally on Sunday. "He has to be here in real life and you have to feel the person and then you will know. So that's how poltiics has to be done."
/Well, he did eventually showed up, but where was our prime minister when an alleged terrorist escaped from our prison?/

**** Mistake To Ignore Stay-Home Mothers <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_269886.html>
by Lee Sui Yi, Straits Times
I urge the government to consider a two-pronged approach to boost birth-rates. It is already bending over backwards for the working mums and should consider stay-home mothers too.

**** How To Boost Singapore's Birth Rate <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/271837.asp>
by Edmund Ng Say Eng, Reform Party, Today
Small and medium enterprises will probably be hit hard as they would need to cater for a replacement for another month.

**** Many Eagerly Await Outcome Of Relaxed New Media Rules <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/369761/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia
Many are anxious to see how rules on new media such as podcasting will be relaxed. They said it defeats the purpose if the committee studying this comes up with another level of restrictions.