[MyAppleMenu] Aug 18, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 18 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Review: ContentBarrier X4 <http://www.macworld.com/article/135020/2008/08/contentbarrierx4.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Roman Loyola, Macworld
ContentBarrier X4 offers several valuable tools that Parental COntrols lacks, such as hour-by-hour scheduling, an IM anti-predator filter, media stream blocking, and keyword filtering. If you have a hard time keeping up with your kids and maintaining Parental Controls, or if you have a small business where you want to cut down on non-work-related surfing, ContentBarrier X4 can be a big help.

**** MobileMe Webmail Security - There Is None <http://mooseyard.com/Jens/2008/08/re-mobileme-webmail-security-there-is-none/>
by Jens Alfke, Thought Palace
MobileMe's web apps are quite insecure &mdash; they won't protect you against DNS forgery or phishing attacks, and they leave your email traffic wide open for others to read.

**** Wow: Apple's MobileMe Going Third Party?! <http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20085/1151/>
by Stephen Withers, iTWire
Just as Apple sells third-party software for the iPhone and iPod touch trough the App Store, it could offer MobileMe add-ons that were created outside the company.

**** Get The Most Out Of iPhoto 08 <http://www.cnet.com.au/software/imaging/0,239035345,339291322,00.htm>
by Brendon Chase, CNET.com.au
We'll move right on to some of the more advanced features of the program that will help you get more out of the program and make it a stablemate on your Mac dock.

**** Signal Gripes Mount Over New iPhone <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/26af69b6-6c8c-11dd-96dc-0000779fd18c.html>
by Kevin Allison, Financial Times
The ranks of unhappy iPhone users continued to swell at the weekend as Apple customers complained about problems maintaining a signal on the company's new 3G handset.

**** Push Mail Is The iPhone's Most Pressing Achilles Heel <http://mashable.com/2008/08/17/iphone-push-email/>
by Paul Glazowski, Mashable
It has underperformed, plain and simple.

**** Amid Conference Halls And Keynote Speakers, A Rivalry Forms <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/18/technology/18crunch.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1219024985-X2vDN9Fd+dUKbJTsP+G1OQ>
by Brad Stone, New York Times

**** Click To Translate <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2008/08/17/click_to_translate/>
by Matthew Battles, Boston Globe
Millions of people are deciphering vintage texts without knowing it - and forging a new path for computing.

**** Isola Bella <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/08/25/080825po_poem_stead>
by C. K. Stead, New Yorker

**** Here The Birds' Journey Ends <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/08/25/080825po_poem_darwish>
by Mahmoud Darwish, New Yorker

**** Awake <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/08/25/080825fi_fiction_wolff>
by Tobias Wolff, New Yorker

**** Confidence Game <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2008/08/17/confidence_game/>
by Drake Bennett, Boston Globe
How imposters like Clark Rockefeller capture our trust instantly - and why we're so eager to give it to them.

**** Singapore To Ease Bans On Political Films And Demos <http://www.reuters.com/article/filmNews/idUSSP27900920080818>
by Neil Chatterjee, Reuters
Singapore, which currently bans political films and demonstrations, may ease curbs on both to keep up with the spread of video and other free expression on the intenret, its prime minister said in remarks released on Monday. "We've got to allow political videos but with some safeguards," said prime minister Lee Hsien Loong in a televised address recorded on Sunday. "I think some things should still be off limits... there will be grey areas."

**** Singapore's Main Exports Decline Again: Government <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gJmda4zxkLpDFhlkB42KXhZa1y7w>
by AFP
Singapore's main exports tumbled for the third straight month in July, hurt by weak demand for electronic goods in key markets including the United States, the government said Monday.

**** $700M New Deal <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_269460.html>
by Straits Times
Another $700 million will be spent on new ways to encourage Singaporeans to marry and to have babies. In all, the government will spend $1.6 billion a year, announced prime minister Lee Hsien Loong.

**** KL's Warning On Pedra Branca <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_269415.html>
by AFP
Malaysia said on Monday it has issued an official warning to Singapore over its territorial claims surrounding a disputed rocky outcrop, in the latest quarrel between the neighbours.
"Singapore's claims of up to 12 nautical miles of their maritime borders and an EEZ for Batu Puteh is unacceptable and unreasonable and contradicts the principles of international law," foreign minister Rais Yatim said.

**** 50% More Growth Dividends <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_269451.html>
by Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times
The higher-than-expected inflation and uncertain economic outlook have made it necessary for the government to give $256 million more in aid, said prime minister Lee Hsien Loong who announced the higher payouts at the National Day rally at the University Cultural Centre on Sunday.

**** LTA To Review ERP Rates For Gantries Around Singapore River <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/369368/1/.html>
by Lian Cheong, Channel NewsAsia
The Land Transport Authority (LTA) will review the rates for the five Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) gantries around the Singapore River in October - a month ahead of its usual quarterly review. The ove came in response to recent feedback that busineses in nearby Chinatown have seen a slump in sales since the ERP charges were introduced in July.

**** Commuters Think SMRT Should Improve On New Initiative <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/369346/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
/My gut feeling is that we will be seeing higher peak-hour fares soon./

**** Singapore's Temasek Courts Disaster <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1387&Itemid=32>
by Asia Sentinel
The bull market tide goes out, leaving the lion city's sovereign wealth firm gasping on the shore.

**** Portable Peace Of Mind For Older Workers <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/369190/1/.html>
by Alicia Wong, Today

**** Overcrowded Maid Shelter To Close <http://www.straitstimes.com/Singapore/Story/STIStory_269230.html>
by Tan Wei Zhen, Straits Times

**** The Dangers Of Insensitivity <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/271453.asp>
by Today
Chinatown Complex needs to be more disabled-friendly.

**** 35,000 Jobs - Or 20,000 Jobs? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/08/35000-jobs-or-20000-jobs/>
by Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen
Why the discrepancy? What happened to the 15,000 jobs? Was the projection wrong?