[MyAppleMenu] Aug 11, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 11 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Apple's Jobs Confirms iPhone 'Kill Switch' <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2008/08/11/dlapplephone111.xml>
by Claudine Beaumont, Telegraph
"Hopefully we never have to pull that lever, but we would be irresponsible not to have a lever like that to pull."

**** Black Ink 1.1.2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/134518/2008/08/blackink1.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jonathan Seff, Macworld
If you're a fan of crossword puzzles, like I am, then you should definitely consider adding Red Sweater Software's Black Ink to your software arsenal.

**** Doctor Campaigns For iPhone Drug Application <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/11/BUEQ122U6R.DTL&type=tech>
by Victoria Colliver, San Francisco Chronicle

**** iPhone Software Sales Take Off: Apple's Jobs <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121842341491928977.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
by Nick Wingfield, Wall Street Journal
In the month since Apple opened an online software clearinghouse called the App Store, users have downloaded more than 60 million programs for the iPhone, chief executive Steve Jobs said in an interview at Apple's headquarters. While most of those applications were free, Apple sold an average of $1 million a day in applications for a total of about $30 million in sales over the month, Mr. Jobs said.
See Also: iPhone App Downloads Are Up. What About Their Usage? <http://gigaom.com/2008/08/10/iphone-app-downloads-are-up-what-about-their-usage/>, by Om Malik, GigaOM.

**** Apple's Great Customer Service: The $249 Difference <http://johntaylorcommunications.wordpress.com/2008/08/10/apples-great-customer-service-the-249-difference/>
by Dilbert Is Funny For A Reason
One of the reasons Apple has legions of devotees is their extraordinary customer service. Their retail store employees are given wide latitude to do whatever it takes to delight the customers.

**** Many Fail To See The Humor In 'I Am Rich' For The iPhone <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/11/technology/11apple.html?ref=business>
by Eric A. Taub, New York Times
Created by a German software developer, Armin Heinrich, it was written pretty much as a joke. "I found that some users complain about prices for iPhone applications above 99 cents," Mr Heinrich said. "I regard it as art. I did not expect many people to buy it and did not expect all the fuss about it."

**** Apple Store Chatswood: This Time It Is Just A Store <http://apcmag.com/apple_store_chatswood_this_time_it_is_just_a_store.htm>
by Seamus Byrne, APC
Apple tried to recreate the fanfare that accompanied the opening of the Sydney CBD Apple Store, but in a suburban mall it all felt out of place.
See Also: Chatswood Apple Store: Massive "Door", Launch A Bore? <http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19952/1103/>, by Alex Zaharov-Reutt, iTWire.

**** Why Microsoft And Intel Tried To Kill The XO $100 Laptop <http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article4472654.ece>
by Bryan Appleyard, The Times
For three reasons the XO turned out to be a gross provocation to the big players in the computer industry.

**** Salon Builds It &mdash; But Will Anyone Come? <http://www.mathewingram.com/work/2008/08/11/salon-builds-it-but-will-anyone-come/>
by Mathew Ingram

**** Uncommon Knowledge <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2008/08/10/uncommon_knowledge/>
by Kevin Lewis, Boston Globe
Surprising insights from the social sciences.

**** Is Google A Media Company? <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/11/technology/11google.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Miguel Helft, New York Times
While Knol is only three weeks old and still relatively obscure, it has alread rekindled fears among some media companies that Google is increasingly becoming a competitor.

**** Why Laptops Will Kick Desktop PCs To The Curb <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080810-opinion-why-laptops-will-kick-desktop-pcs-to-the-curb.html>
by Don Reisinger, Ars Technica

**** Chee's Sister Seeks Court's Okay To Go To US <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Courts%2Band%2BCrime/Story/STIStory_266897.html>
by Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times
Opposition politician Chee Siok Chin has taken to court her tussle with the Official Assignee's office over permission to leave the country.

**** Why They Like Singapore <http://xenoboysg.blogspot.com/2008/08/why-they-like-singapore.html>
by A Xeno Boy In Sg
Waltzing on a glass floor, looking down on the rest of the country, the rest of the world.

**** Employers Say Job Creation In H2 2008 Likely To Slow Down <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/366860/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
Expect a slowdown in job creation and hiring in the second half of this year, said manpower planners and employers in view of mixed economic signals and a general global slowdown.

**** Nurture Locals With Foreigners Or Import Foreigners And Make THem Local? <http://youngpapblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/nurture-locals-with-foreigners-or.html>
by Nicholas Lazzarus, Young PAP Blog
I feel a little pity for our local athletes who would definitely feel that they were not supported entirely by their nation.
/But, fundamentally, why chase golds and metals and records?/

**** My Thoughts On Chua Lee Hoong's Article "Why They Hate Singapore" <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=436>
by Sgpolitics.net
Singapore succeeded economically not because it lacks basic rights, but in spite of the fact that it lacks basic rights. There is a crucial distinction here.

**** Singapore's Q2 GDP Shrinks, Exports To Weaken <http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2008/08/10/afx5307774.html>
by Saeed Azhar and Charmian Kok, Reuters
Singapore's economy contracted at a annualised rate of 6 percent in the second quarter after seasonal adjustments, and the government now expects key exports to shrink this year as a global downturn bites.
The government said on Monday it expects full year growth at the lower end of a 4-5 percent forecast, as it sees the city-state's non-oil domestic exports shrinking 2-4 percent this year without any pickup in major economies anytime soon.

**** The POSB Ticket To DBS' Expansion <http://www.straitstimes.com/Money/Story/STIStory_266691.html>
by Goh Eng Yeow, Straits Times
To many investors, the DBS chief executive's admission marked a refreshing change from the traditional stiff upper-lipped boss whose default setting is to maintain a stony silence over any mistakes - past or present.

**** Singaporean Tourists Flocking To US <http://www.straitstimes.com/Singapore/Story/STIStory_266777.html>
by Jessica Lim, Straits Times
Singaporean tourists are heading to the United States in the largest numbers since the Sept 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

**** Singapore Prisons: Spartan, With Humane Touches <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_266793.html>
by Teh Joo Lin, Straits Times
There seems to be little dispute that prisoners in Singapore have it tougher than their western counterparts.

**** Let's Not Call It Racial Discrimination
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Racial discrimination? Racists? Such big words. Let's call it positive discrimination <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_266658.html>, or preference instead.
Some people don't even know they are racist...