[MyAppleMenu] Aug 8, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 8 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Regarding iPhone Application Pricing <http://hivelogic.com/articles/2008/08/regarding-iphone-application-pricing>
by Dan Benjamin, Hivelogic
I believe that there's a shared responsibility here. Apple shouldn't restrict application pricing or availability (for non-malicious apps). Users need to be careful about the purchase they make - and Apple makes provisions for this. At the same time, developers should be conscientious, considerate, and kind when creating and pricing an application.

**** Review: Photoshop Lightroom 2.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/134898/2008/08/lightroom2.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Rick LePage, Macworld
What's most impressive about the update is how smoothly it works with you to organize and edit your photos; by focusing on improving the little things, Adobe has made an already good program even more usable.

**** TypeCast <http://www.macworld.com/article/134492/2008/08/typecast.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jason Snell, Macworld

**** It's A Core Location Blacklist <http://daringfireball.net/2008/08/core_location_blacklist>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
An informed soure at Apple confirmed to me that the "clbl" in the URL stands for "Core Location Blacklist", and that it does just that. It is not a blacklist for disabling apps completely, but rather specifically for preventing any listed apps from accessing Core Location - an API which, for obvious privacy reasons, is covered by very strict rules in the iPhone SDK guidelines.

**** Apple Prices Are Just Peachy <http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1799>
by Christopher Dawson, ZDNet.com
As Apple keeps cranking out high-quality, durable ,user-friendly, innovative products, I have to remember the words my old economics teacher used to ask: "How much should a company charge for a product?" We would all answer in unison, "As much as the market will bear."

**** How To Fix The DVD Drive
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
This is new to me: turn your MacBook sideway <http://www.techniqal.com/blog/2008/08/07/sideways-solution-for-macbook/> to fix the DVD drive.

**** Is The iPhone NDA About Patents? <http://daringfireball.net/2008/08/iphone_nda_patents>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
"Maybe <Apple's> lawyers believe there are patentable inventions described in the iPhone SDK and they are telling Apple to keep everything under NDA until they know provisional patents can be filed within a reasonable amount of time."

**** Much Ado About The iPhone's 'Kill Switch' <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10010070-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=OneMoreThing>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
Until Apple explains why it has included this function, or an application appears on the blacklist and is wiped from someone's phone, it's all just the usual leaping to conclusions on a sleepy Thursday in August.

**** Developers To Apple: Be More Transparent On App Store Standards <http://www.macworld.com/article/134887/2008/08/appstoredevs.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Wondering what goes into the process of determiing what iPhone applications make the grade for Apple's App Store? You're not alone&mdash;the developers who write those programs sometimes find themselves wondering the same thing.

**** The iCal Challenge <http://www.macworld.com/article/134894/2008/08/icalchallence.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by William Porter, Macworld
Eight calendars and organizers compete with Apple's scheduling app.

**** New iPod, Old Firmware <http://www.macworld.com/article/134891/2008/08/ipodtouch_firmware.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jeffery Battersby, Macworld
If you're planning on buying a touch, it may be a case of buyer beware&mdash;that "new" hardware may not be as new as you thought. And the price tag may be a few dollars more than what you thought you were going to pay.
/There's no 2.0 software on iPod touch, even if you buy it today from Apple Store./

**** Driving iTunes Daffy <http://www.macworld.com/article/134890/2008/08/daffyitunes.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Net Address Bug Worse Than Feared <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7546557.stm>
by Maggie Shiels, BBC News

**** Words The Internet Killed <http://www.livedigitally.com/2008/08/07/words-the-internet-killed/>
by Jeremy Toeman, LiveDigitally
We are currently in the midst of a transformation, caused in a large part by the evolutoin of social networking sites.

**** Demons Inner And Outer <http://www.nysun.com/arts/demons-inner-and-outer/83262/>
by Adam Kirsch, New York Sun
Almost seven years after the September 11, 2001, terror attacks, readers still display a surprising hunger for the definitive "9/11 novel."

**** A Literature Of Our Own <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/aug/08/gayrights.gender?gusrc=rss&feed=books>
by Julie Bindel, The Guardian
Eighty years after Radclyffe Hall wrote the radical novel The Well of Loneliness, is there still any need for novels to be categorised as lesbian?

**** Connect Singapore Was A Waste Of My Time <http://peabo4eva.wordpress.com/2008/08/08/connect-singapore-was-a-waste-of-my-time/>
by Theawesome Classblog Of The Year 4132008
Thanks for totally destroying National Day for me.

**** Johor To Draw Up Masterplan For Pulau Pisang <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/8/8/nation/20080808163051&sec=nation>
by V.P. Sujata, The Star
"We must be proactive in terms of its development and draw up a masterplan for the sake of our future generation," said foreign minister Datuk Dr Rais Yatim, adding that as Pulau Pisang fell under the jurisdiction of Johor, ideally the state government should plan its development.

**** Katong Laksa: Will The Original Katong Laksa Please Stand Up? <http://ieatishootipost.sg/2008/08/katong-laksa-will-original-katong-laksa.html>
by ieatishootipost
There is Laksa and then there is "Katong" Laksa.

**** Swede Quality Of Life <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_265616.html>
by Jan Sundstrom, Straits Times
Nine in 10 Singaporeans merely lease their homes. (HDB flats are typically 99-year leaseholds). Freehold ownership is higher in Sweden: Forty per cent live in landed property, 20 per cent in freehold condos and 40 per cent in rental flats. Swedish rental flats are akin to HDB flats. The main differences are that there is no downpayment, and the rental contract does not expire.
The United Nations' Human Development Index, based on 350 indicators, tracks 'a long and healthy life, knowledge and a decent standard of living'. Sweden ranks sixth worldwide, while Singapore trails at 25th.

**** DBS To Give New Push To POSB <http://www.straitstimes.com/Money/Story/STIStory_265690.html>
by Gabriel Chen, Straits Times
DBS Bank's new boss was certainly not mincing words when he spoke about the way the bank has run POSB: "We've disappointed Singaporeans and we plan to turn it around."

**** Singaporeans Pragmatic? Not Always <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/269492.asp>
by Adrian Tan, Today
I am not ridiculing our pragmatic asipirations. Rather, I want us to celebrate the fact we have ethical, unqunatifiable principles and that we are prepared to suffer the economic consequences of these principles. This is nothing to be ashamed about.
/One man's principle is another man's prison. If my principle is that green is ugly, will you stop wearing that ugly green dress tomorrow?/

**** Economic Growth May Remain Weak: Tharman <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/269490.asp>
by Today
"The situation now is different from what it was three months ago. The American economy is in a much mor eperilous state now and the risks facing the financial system, which is a global system and not just an American system, are still very substantial."

**** Chee Siok Chin Vs Official Assignee: Let's Judge For Ourselves Who Is Telling The Truth <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=408>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net
"How have I refused to verify the information requested?"

**** Why Are They Staring At Me During The Ghost Festival? <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2008/08/why-are-they-staring-at-me-during-ghost.html>
by Feed Me To The Fish
Dear PAP MPs, for the prevention of nausea and for the sake of sanity, please get your faces off!
Who's money do you use to glorify yourself?

**** Only Half Think Singapore A Good Place For Kids <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,172645,00.html?>
by Veena Bharwani, New Paper
The education system here was cited as a major reason for Singapore being unconducive for raising kids. Another reason was the difficulty in striking work-life balance.