[MyAppleMenu] Aug 4, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 4 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Apple's Chatswood Store A Burden For Local IT Retailers? <http://www.crn.com.au/News/81802,apples-chatswood-store-a-new-burden-for-local-it-retailers.aspx>
by Lilia Guan, CRN Australia
Hardware vendor Apple has just announced that it plans to open a new Apple Store in Chatswood.

**** iPhone To Go On Sale In Russia In 2009 <http://www.kommersant.com/p-12965/r_529/iPhone_sale/>
by Kommersant
Apple iPhone 3G will officially go on sale in Russia in 2009, Vedomosti reported. The Apple representative didn't comment on the news.

**** Transmission 1.22 <http://www.macworld.com/article/134316/2008/08/transmission1gem.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

**** Not There Yet: The iPhone Has Some Growing To Do <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyId=15&articleId=323214&intsrc=hm_topic>
by Eric Lal and Matt Hamblen, Computerworld

>From a corporate iT standpoint, the 3G hardware and its companion iPhone 2.0 software remain less functional and mature than their BlackBerry and Windows Mobile counterparts.

**** Update: Apple Resurrects iPhone Tethering App, Then Kills It Yet Again <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9111479&source=rss_topic123>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Developer Nullriver Inc. had no idea why its software had been reposted to the App Store on Friday, or why it had been removed later in the day.

**** How Cloud Computing Is Changing The World <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2008/tc2008082_445669.htm>
by Rachael King, BusinessWeek

**** Video Microblogging Has Arrived <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/21162/?a=f>
by Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review
A San Francisco-based startup called 12seconds is a video version of Twitter, but how useful will it be?

**** Taking Social Networks Abroad - Why MySpace ANd Facebook Are Failing In Japan <http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/08/03/taking-social-networks-abroad-why-myspace-and-facebook-are-failing-in-japan/>
by Serkan Toto, TechCrunch

**** Superbugs <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/08/11/080811fa_fact_groopman>
by Jerome Groopman, New Yorker
The new generation of resistant infections is almost impossible to treat.

**** Trouble <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/08/11/080811po_poem_dickman>
by Matthew Dickman, New Yorker

**** The Dinner Party <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/08/11/080811fi_fiction_ferris>
by Joshua Ferris, New Yorker
On occasion, the two women went to lunch and she came home offended by some pettiness. And he would say, "Why do this to yourself?" He wanted to keep her from being hurt. He also wanted his wife and her friend to drift apart so that he never had to sit through another dinner party with the friend and her husband. But after a few months the rift would inevitably heal and the friendship return to good standing. He couldn't blame her. They went back a long way and you get only so many old friends.

**** Attabled With The Spinning Years <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/08/11/080811po_poem_ashbery>
by John Ashbery, New Yorker

**** Perspire To Retire! <http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/08/04/pinched_havrilesky/index.html>
by Heather Havrilesky, Salon
I was all fired up to svae for the future. Then I found out I was a day late and about, um, $90,000 short.

**** Why Won't You Blurb Me? <http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2008/08/04/blurbs/index.html>
by Rebecca Johnson, Salon
I had an agent and a book deal for my first novel. All I was missing was quotes for the back cover. Next time, remind me to suck up to more famous writers.

**** Malaysia And Singapore To Study JB-Singapore City Rail Viability <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=350507>
by Zakaria Abdul Wahab, Bernama
Malaysia and Singapore today agreed to carry out a more detailed study on the commercial and legal aspects of the rail linkages plan that will smoothen travels between Johor Baharu and the city-state.
Malaysia and Singapore now have three options in the rail plan, with the first one being a dedicated shuttle rail link, the second is that the train ends in Singapore and the third, the train stops in Johor Baharu.

**** M1 Enters Home Broadband Arena <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_264442.html>
by Alfred Siew, Straits Times
The new entrant is offering lower prices - a boon for home users looking for better deals.

**** Singapore Dissident Goes Awry? <http://gangasudhan.com/blog/2008/08/singapore-dissident-goes-awry.html>
by My Thoughts
It is very highly probable that Mr Nair would not have been arrested had the officers recognised who he was. I am certain that he was not single dout and had, on his own accord, invited trouble by banging on the bonnet of the police car...
These officers are restircted by the OSA (Official Secrets Act) and will not be able to defend themselves directly unlike Mr Nair who can post everything on his blog. Although I am not fond of things are they are in Singapore, I refuse to just stand by and watch my friends and ex-colleagues, who are honest tax-payers themselves, and who perform their jobs with dignity and honour, be subjected to such unfounded accusations and baseless distortions of the truth.

**** Why Law Society Should Not Join Political Debate <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_264228.html>
by S. Radha, Press Secretary To The Minister For Law, Straits Times
To argue for the Law Society to join the political debate is to misunderstand its nature and role. The society is a statutory body created by Parliament for a specific purpose, namely to oversee the governance and discipline of the legal profession. There is no reason to give it a special status beyond this to play a political role, especially when no other professional body has such a right.

**** Bandwidth Hogs May Force ISPs To Adopt Volume-Based Charges <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_264284.html>
by Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times
Such charging is already in force overseas and ISPs here studying that.
/There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth today - the amount of 'stuff' you can download and upload is already capped by the speed of the connection. ISPs are bascially caught in a situation where they can't provide the level of service as advertised, and they're just trying to find scapgoats to blame on./

**** Library Staff More Customer-Focused Now <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/268685.asp>
by Veronica Boudville, National Library Board, Today

**** Tortured By Bloc Head Bullies <http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,172324,00.html>
by Elgin Toh, New Paper
In the wake of the Laguna Park incidents, Singaporeans living in other private estates are coming forward with similar horror stories.

**** Temasek Aims To Join MBK Bid For HKT Stake: Report <http://uk.reuters.com/article/innovationNews/idUKPAT40490320080804>
by Jeffrey Hodgson, Reuters
Singapore's Temasek Holdings plans to join MBK Partners in a bid to buy a 45 per cent stake in PCCW Ltd's media and telecoms unit HKT Group Holdings, the South China Morning Post reported on Monday.

**** Where Culture, Cocktails And Chicken Collide: Singapore Dining <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=aHTwN0VtuSfM&refer=muse>
by Adam Majendie, Bloomberg
The National Museum, a neo-classical building dating from 1887, provides the three ground-floor restaurants &mdash; Novus, Muse and Chef Chan's &mdash; with attractive high-ceilinged spaces. Yet the building is removed from the shopping, dining and business areas that supply walk-in customers.

**** Building Bridges: Indignation 2008 <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/08/building-bridges-indignation-2008/>
by Selene Cheng, The Online Citizen

**** More Changes To Electoral System In The Offing? <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-912.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
We shouldn't be fooled into thinking that GRCs are the only way to be sensitive to minority-race citizens. It's only one of the many possible ways, but also, it's one with very deleterious effects on the health of a democracy.