[MyAppleMenu] Oct 31, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 31 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** New iPod Ad Created By 18-Year-Old <http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/10/30/business/adco.php>
by Stuart Elliott, Internationa Herald Tribune
The idea that you do not have to be a professional to create a good commercial is becoming widespread, a trend known as consumer-generated content. Leave it to Apple to - paraphrasing the company's old slogan - think differently.

**** Leopardphobia <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9808231-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by The Macalope, CNET News.com
Forum postings and blog comments suffer from self-selection and are not a valid indicator of whether or not a piece of software is teh sux0r.

**** Analysis: Leopard A Key Part Of Apple's Business <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/10/30/leopard_impact/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Don't be fooled by Apple's ever-widening business interests, analysts say&mdash;the Mac OS remains a critical part of Apple's overal strategy. And Mac OS X 10.5 in particular figures to play an essential role in the company's ongoing success.

**** Upgrade Or Not? <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/10/leopardreasons/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
Take it from me: You should definitely upgrade right away, because of five amazingly cool features. Or not&mdash;you could also put off upgrading to Leopard because of five really dubious things about the OS X update.

**** A Roundup Of Leopard Security Features <http://www.matasano.com/log/981/a-roundup-of-leopard-security-features/>
by Thomas Ptacek, Matasano Chargen

**** How Leopard Changed My Workflow <http://cavemonkey50.com/2007/10/how-leopard-changed-my-workflow/>
by cavemonkey50.com
Past habits are being modified, old applications are being trashed, and new features are being taken advantage of.

**** Is Leopard's Firewall Insecure Or Broken? Maybe Not. <http://gp.darkproductions.com/2007/10/is-leopards-firewall-insecure-or-broken.html>
by Geek Precis

**** The iPhone Dilemma - A Victim Of Its Design Success? <http://www.nitibhan.com/perspective_20/2007/10/the-iphone-dile.html>
by Perspective 2.0
You will not be able to control what will be done to it or with it around the world.

**** Some Leopard Early Adopter Bitten By Installation Bugs <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071030-some-leopard-early-adopters-bitten-by-installation-bugs.html>
by Eric Bangeman, Ars Technica

**** Satisfying UI Design Is Often Illogical <http://theocacao.com/document.page/513>
by Scott Steven, Theocacao
If history can be used as a benchmark, the UI discussion cycle we're currently in with Leopard is a natural part of the process. Any sort of change will bring disagreement from some users, but eventually it all settles down as people get used to it and various tweaks are made.
See Also:
Leopard UI Vs. Usability <http://reinventedsoftware.com/blog/2007/10/31/leopard-ui-vs-usability/>, by Reinvented Blog.

**** The Way It Woz: Steve Wozniak On All Things Apple: Apple And Beyond <http://laptopmag.com/Features/The-Way-it-Woz-Steve-Wozniak-on-All-Things-Apple.htm?Page=1>
by Laptop Magazine

**** Benchmark: Leopard Needs 64-Bit Intel To Beat Tiger <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/10/30/benchmark-leopard-needs-64-bit-intel-to-beat-tiger>
by Iljitsch van Beijnum, Ars Technica

**** Leopard Has More Holes Than Spots <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2209676,00.asp>
by Lisa Vaas, eWeek
Security has slipped backwards on the evolutionary ladder in Apple's latest Mac OS X release, security researchers say, with Leopard's firewall having more holes than its namesake cat has spots.
See Also:
Holes In Leopard's Firewall <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9807471-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>, by Robert Vamosi, CNET News.com.

**** Leopard's Gems Replacements, Part 1 <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/10/leopardgems1/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
With the release of Leopard, I went through the Mac Gems Catalog to see which products have sene some&mdash;or all&mdash;of their features make their way into the latest version of the OS.

**** Top Ten Leopard Tips <http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2007/10/top-ten-leopard.html>
by Guy Kawasaki
Back up first!

**** Menu Bars So Clean, They Seem To Disappear <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9276>
by Matt Neuburg, TidBITS
/We all simply know that, real soon now, there will be third-party applications galore to tackle this menu-bar problem. For me, it just mean choosing a 'sensible' desktop picture for now./
/Update: OpaqueMenuBar <http://www.eternalstorms.at/utilities/opaquemenubar/>. (No, I haven't try this yet.)/

**** Shipping Means Prioritizing <http://daringfireball.net/2007/10/shipping_means_prioritizing>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
Perl, Python, and Ruby pretty much compile out of the box on Mac OS X. Apple doesn't have to do much at all &mdash; at least relative to Java &mdash; to include them on Mac OS X. Why? Because that's how these tools are designed and engineered &mdash; they're made to "just build" on any Unix-like OS. It's not Apple's responsibility that Java isn't like that &mdash; it's Sun's.

**** Wireless Slowly Dies After Leopard Upgrade, Users Report <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9044782&source=rss_topic123>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Mac users are reporting a number of problems with their wireless connections after updating to Leopard, according to traffic on Apple Inc.'s support forums.

**** E-Paper Displays Video <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/19646/?a=f>
by Duncan Grahame-Rowe, MIT Technology Review
A new type of MEMS-based electronic paper for cell phones is fast enough to show video.

**** The Ghosts Of Halloweens Past <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/31/opinion/31boylan.html?_r=1&ex=1351569600&en=9233a050fd7c6d76&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Jennifer Finney Boylan, New York Times
The house in which I grew up was haunted by a cloud of cold mist, a mysterious woman in white, and an entity we called "the conductor," since he walked around wearing a mourning coat and carrying a baton in one hand.

**** Huge Black Holes May Hold Keys To Galaxy Formation <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/30/AR2007103002073.html?nav=rss_nation/science>
by Marc Kaufman, Washington Post
With many promising areas to research, the supermassives are drawing astronomers and astrophysicists back into the black hole research.

**** You Too - Yes, You! - Can Be A Food Blogger <http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-dish31oct31,1,7588421.story?track=rss&ctrack=2&cset=true>
by Regina Schrambling, Los Angeles Times
Cooking up a delicious blog is much easier than you might think.

**** The Lost Art Of The Rant <http://www.slate.com/id/2176968/fr/rss/>
by Daniel Seidel, Slate
How the web revived a storied tradition of expletive-laced tirades.

**** Errant Cab Drivers May Get Licence Revoked As LTA Steps Up Crackdown <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/308811/1/.html>
by Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

**** Temasek Submits Final Defence In Anti-Monopoly Case <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/308838/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** Opening Up Of Singapore-KL Route Will Have Positive Impact: Analysts <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/308833/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore Unemployment Rate Falls To Near 10-Year Low As Economy Booms <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/ap/20071031/tbs-as-fin-eco-singapore-unemployment-3c8dc0d.html>
by Associated Press
Singapore's unemployment rate in the third quarter fell to 1.7 percent, its lowest level in almost a decade, as robust economic growth underpinned demand for new staff, the Minstry of Manpower said Wednesday.
That's down from 2.3 percent in the second quarter and the lowest rate since the first quarter of 1998, just as the Asian financial crisis spread across the region.

**** A Harassed And Defamed Dr. Thio <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/169805.html>
by Mollymeek

**** Give Up <http://wonderingchris.blogspot.com/2007/10/give-up.html>
by Wondering Wanderer
How can we as a society move ahead and be truly gracious?

**** Children = Happy? <http://theuntoldlegacyofrenaldy.blogspot.com/2007/10/children-happy.html>
by Brighten Your Day With A Smile (:

**** View From The Top: Flying In Southeast Asia <http://joeinsingapore.blogspot.com/2007/10/view-from-top-flying-in-southeast-asia.html>
by Joe In Singapore

**** YouTube, Others Succeed In Singapore <http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2007/10/30/youtube-others-succeed-in-singapore>
by Doug Caverly, WebProNews

**** iPSLE Now Hot Regional Export <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,146313,00.html?>
by Celine Lim, New Paper
While complaints about overly difficult or confusing questions are becoming an annual refrain at home, the PSLE is going places in the region.

**** Chan To Discuss AirAsia's Request With Singapore <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/10/31/nation/19334236&sec=nation>
by The Star
Transport minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy will dsicuss AirAsia's request to start flights between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore with his counterpart at the Asean Transport Ministers Meeting in the republic tomorrow.

**** Harvest Time <http://www.dailybacktrack.com/index.php?/archives/612-Harvest-time.html>
by Joel Tan, The Daily Backtrack
You reap what you sow. Why does she reel in disgust at the same manure she's spewed from her ideological mouth?

**** iPhone In Demand On Grey Market Here <http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article-southeastasia.asp?parentid=80752>
by Alfred Siew, Straits Times
Apple's much-hyped iPhone is finding buyers in early-adopter geeks who will pay $800 to $1,500 for the lastest gizmo to show off.

**** Will NMP Sue Poet For Defamation? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/219599.asp>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today
See Also:
'Expression Of Opinion' Was In Fact Harassment <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_172147.html>, by Thio Li-ann, Straits Times.