[MyAppleMenu] Nov 30, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 30 13:15:00 EST 2007

**** Report: Talks Bringing iPhone To China Fail <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/11/30/chinaiphone/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Sources claim the real reason talks have not gone well to this point is because of differences the companies have over revenue sharing.

**** Apple's iPhone A Tougher Sell In Europe? <http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9825348-37.html?tag=nefd.top>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
Apple's learning fairly quickly that Europe is a very different place, espeically when it comes to mobile phones.

**** When Networks Collide: AT&amp;T Suddenly Doesn't Like Apple So Much <http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20071129_003521.html>
by Robert X. Cringely, PBS
I don't think AT&amp;T CEO Randall Stephenson's statement was by accident and I don't think he is out of touch with reality. I think, instead, he was sending a $1 billion message to Apple CEO Steve Jobs.
What I believe is troubling the relationship between AT&amp;T and Apple is the upcoming auction for 700-MHz wireless spectrum and AT&amp;T's discovery that &mdash; as I have predicted for weeks &mdash; Apple will be joining Google in bidding. AT&amp;T thought its five-year "exclusive" iPhone agreement with Apple woul dhave precluded such a bid, but that just shows how poorly Randall Stephenson understood Steve Jobs. Steve always hurts his friends to see how much they really love him, so AT&amp;T probably should have expected this kind of corporate body blow.

**** Leopard The New Vista? No, But It's Not Manna, Either <http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9826744-16.html>
by Matt Asay, CNET News.com

**** Why Oh Why, Apple Of My Eye? <http://evanrud.typepad.com/weblog/2007/11/why-oh-why-appl.html>
by Evan Rudowski: Web Transplant
It almost make me feel nostalgic for Dell &mdash; a company that was just as uncool as I am, but which would at least send somebody geeky to my premises to fix my computer, leving me in continued, uninterrupted operation.

**** Iona College Confident In Mac Switch <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/11/29/iona.college.mac.switch/>
by MacNN

**** Don't Give Up On Leopard (Despite The Bugs) <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/28/dont-give-up-on-leopard-despite-the-bugs/>
by Saul Hansell, New York Times

**** The Exact Right Angle
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Some photographs require lots of efforts from the photographer. Some require lots of luck. And then some that require both.
Presenting: 20 photographs taken at the exact right angle <http://sawse.com/2007/11/28/20-photographs-taken-at-the-exact-right-angle/>.

**** Open Source Mac Gaming: 10 Free Games Reviewed <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9335>
by Neale Monks, TidBITS

**** Dear Apple: The iPhone Isn't The iPod. Be Sure To Keep Up <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/11/29/dear-apple-the-iphone-isnt-the-ipod-be-sure-to-keep-up>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

**** What Would Steve Jobs Do?
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
As the saying goes, the time for Bill Gates to stop and pick up an one-dollar bill on the floor is worth much more than that one-dollar bill.
What if, instead of a one-dollar bill, it's a bunch of interns <http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2007/11/29/6588498.aspx> on their first day of work to contribute to the Microsoft Empire?

:-)

**** Will Open Networks Force Apple To Unlock The iPhone? <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/11/will_open_netwo.html>
by Stephen Wellman, InformationWeek
The writing is on the wall. The future iPhone should be 3G, run outside applications, work on both CDMA and GSM networks, and be fully unlocked.

**** Yes, Steve Jobs Is Like Marc Jacobs <http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2007/11/29/yes-steve-jobs-is-like-marc-jacobs.aspx>
by Tim Beyers, Motley Fool
Jobs' Apple has been a hit machine. More Beatles than Bangles. More U2 than Ugly Kid Joe. For more than three decades, Apple has oozed innovation &mdash; except, of course, in the years when the maestro was away.

**** Advertisers Spend $1 Billion On Word-Of-Mouth Marketing <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071129-advertisers-spend-1-billion-on-word-of-mouth-marketing.html>
by Nate Anderson, Ars Technica

**** Facebook Reevaluating Beacon After Privacy Outcry, Possible FTC Complaint <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071129-facebook-reevaluating-beacon-after-privacy-outcry-possible-ftc-complaint.html>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** Wall Street Beat: Stormy Ride For Tech <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/29/Stormy-ride-for-tech_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/29/Stormy-ride-for-tech_1.html>
by Marc Ferranti, IDG News Service
The turbulence in the housing, mortgage, credit, and financial services sectors is spilling into the tech sector.

**** Nintendo's Koizumi On The Path From Garden To Galaxy <http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16386>
by Gamasutra

**** Coomoditizing Our Future <http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2007/11/commoditizing_our_future.html>
by Charlie Stross, Charlie's Diary
The dirty little fact everybody in the consumer computer trade have been trying to ignore is that the computer biz is overdue for commoditization.

**** Dan Rather's Last Big Story Is Himself <http://nymag.com/news/features/41283/>
by Joe Hagan, New York Magazine
This is Dan Rather's last big story, his crusade to save his reputation as one of the late-twentieth century's great TV newsmen. But with much unproved, Rather's claims have left him standing alone.

**** The Hard-Boiled Bard <http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/biography/0,,2218470,00.html>
by Richard B Woodward, Guardian
Film noir plots often hinge on secrets and guilt, sexual fixation and ambiguity, and these same elements riddled Raymond Chandler's life in the view of biographer Judith Freeman.

**** James Fenton: 21St Century Renaissance Man <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/11/18/sv_fenton.xml&page=1>
by Paul Quinn, Telegraph
James Fenton has been shot at, kidnapped, forced to eat his own dog and even dabble din West End musicals. He's also the most talented poet of his generation.

**** What A Bunch Of Losers <http://www.slate.com/id/2178717/fr/rss/>
by Josh Levin, Slate
Engraving "N/A" onto a crystal football might look ridiculous. What's far sillier is the sports world's fixation on looking out for No. 1. Consider: The pulitzer boar doften decides that no play, novel, or syphony is deserving of its yearly honors. The Nobel Prize also on occasion goes unawarded.

**** Singapore's Right-Side-Of-The-Brain Move <http://www.lunchoverip.com/2007/11/fes07---singapo.html>
by Bruno Giussani, Lunch Over IP

**** Ex-NKF Board Member Matilda Chua Fined $10,000, But No Jail <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/314787/1/.html>
by Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singaore Economy Will Stay Robust Amid Inflationary Pressure: Analysts <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/314805/1/.html>
by Pamela Almeda, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore And Indonesia Hold Talks On Maritime Boundaries <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/314797/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** New Disputes Could Hurt Busienss In Singapore <http://www.forbes.com/home/business/2007/11/29/singapore-disputes-malaysia-biz-cx_1130oxford.html>
by Oxford Analytica, Forbes
A new dimension in cross-border disagreements is emerging that may prove far more damaging for SIngapore's long-term future.

**** AVA Revises Regulations On Plant Imported From West Malaysia <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/314739/1/.html>
by Chio Su-Mei, Channel NewsAsia

**** Temasek Writes To India PM On Mobile Rules - Paper <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSBOM19544920071130>
by Reuters
Temasek Holdings, the Singapore state investment agency, has sought the Indian prime minister's intervention in a dispute over new rules on the allocation of mobile phone spectrum, the Economic Times said on Friday.

**** Singapore Premier Lee Quits As Finance Minister <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119637449246108517.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
by John Jannarone, Wall Street Journal
Many observers have long expected Mr. Tharman to become finance minister, and they don't expect significant policy changes at the ministry.

**** A Passionate Poet From Straitlaced Singapore <http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1688895,00.html>
by Ishaan Tharoor, Time
It is one of the most delicious working of karma that Singapore, which criminalizes homosexuality, should have as its leading young poet an openly gay man.

**** A Singapore 'Social Contract'? <http://blueheeler.wordpress.com/2007/11/30/a-singapore-social-contract/>
by BothSidesOfTheJohorStraits
Like my Singapore Indian friend told me, everything is meritocratic in Singapore, until an Indian/Malay gets rejected in an interview because he can't speak Mandarin.

**** Singapore's Education Under Tharman <http://rana.typepad.com/weblog/2007/11/who-will-be-sin.html>
by Blowin' In The Wind
On the whole, Singapore has done well with Tharman Shanmugaratnam as education minister.

**** On Journalism 101
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
This article by Jon Swift, Journalism 101 <http://jonswift.blogspot.com/2007/11/journalism-101.html>, is meant to be a satire.
The exercise, dear readers, is to identify how many of these "rules" are official Straits Times policies.

**** Singapore ST Telemedia Will Not Sell Indosat Stake <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSSIN28728220071129>
by Reuters
Singapore Technoogies Telemedia, a unit of state investor Temasek Holdings, said it will not sell its stake in Indoensian telecom Indosat and would contest a controversial ruling by Indonesia's anti-monopoly agency to protect its investment.

**** Malaysia And Singapore To Forge Closer Cooperation In Education <http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=299414>
by Bernama

**** Low-Cost Air Services To Singapore From More Malaysian Cities <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Thursday/NewsBreak/20071129190814/Article/index_html>
by Bernama
After opening the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore route to low-cost airlines, the governments of both countries are to look into allowing them additional routes from other destinations in Malaysia to the island republic, transport minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said today.

**** Singapore - So Who's Lying? <http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/archive/2007/11/29/singapore-so-who-s-lying.html>
by Singapore Democrats, Singabloodypore
The controversy over a mistake made by the prosecution team deepened on the third day of Dr Chee Soon Juan's and Mr Yap Keng Ho's trial at the Subordinate Courts.

**** SingTel Hangs Up Dial-Up Service <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/224919.asp>
by Joseph Yadao, Today
In June, StarHub discontinued its Surf For Free dial-up service. Now, SingTel is following suit, having announced it would shut down its subscription-free mySingTel Internet service on March 31 next year.

**** Reconsider Mandatory Death Penalty <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_181899.html>
by Choo Zheng Xi, Straits Times
Are we going to be a society that is blindly tough on crime at the expense of the famous dictum, Let the punishment fit the crime?
See Also:
That Capital Punishment Saves Lives Is Not Enough <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_181686.html>, by Paul E. Staes, Straits Times. It takes more than a good effect before we can justify an extreme remedy, something that could be used 'for the worst of the worst'.
Misleading Evidence In Support Of Death Penalty <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_181684.html>, by Clement Wee Hong En, Straits Times.
/Personally, I am opposed to the death penalty as it assumes the justice system never makes a mistake, honest or otherwise. There is no chance of reversal, of correction, of misjustice./

**** Singapore Education System Works - With Tuition <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_181887.html>
by Ng Kim Yong, Straits Times
See Also:
Too Many Tuitions <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl071130_507.html>, by Xu Aiyun, Lianhe Zaobao.