[MyAppleMenu] Nov 23, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 23 13:15:00 EST 2007

**** Apple Slashes Prices On Macs And iPods For 24-Hour Sale <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/23/apple_slashes_prices_on_macs_and_ipods_for_24_hour_sale.html>
by AppleInsider
Apple Computer early Friday morning kicked-off the 2007 holiday shopping season with its annual "Black Friday" sale, offering significant discounts on Macs, iPods and accessories.

**** Eight Things To Do After Buying A Mac <http://www.appleotaku.com/2007/11/22/eight-things-to-do-after-buying-a-mac/>
by Apple Otaku

**** My Switch To Touch iPod <http://www.ewilson.net/?p=13>
by Willys eLearning Corner

**** Leopard. <http://althouse.blogspot.com/2007/11/leopard.html>
by Ann Althouse
Ah! I'm so happy with Leopard, which I've just installed in my MacBook, and I can boil my reason for happiness down to one word: /Buttons!/

**** Mac Shares Climbs, iPhone Dominates US Smartphone Sales <http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19752>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Citing a report in the Chinese-language Commercial Times, DigiTimes reveals research from Taiwan's Topology Research which claims Apple will see volume sales climb 30 per cent year-on-year in 2008.

**** Bursted Dreams: Why Would Burst.com Let Apple Off The Hook For Only $10 Million? <http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20071122_003480.html>
by Robert X. Cringely, PBS
Apple may actually be on the hook for more money than it appears here, but structuring the deal this way allows the company to claim victory.

**** Memo To Steve Jobs: Java On The Mac Isn't Dead Just Yet <http://www.crn.com/software/204201520>
by Ed Moltzen, CRN

**** Microsoft's Open-Source Rhetoric Remains Dangerously Inconsistent <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071122-microsofts-open-source-rhetoric-remains-dangerously-inconsistent.html>
by Ryan Paul, Ars Technica

**** Six Things To Be Thankful For In Technology, 2007 <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071122-six-things-to-be-thankful-for-in-technology-2007.html>
by Eric Bangeman, Ars Technica

**** Is The Social Graph Web 3.0? <http://www.roughtype.com/archives/2007/11/is_the_social_g.php>
by Nicholas Carr, Rought Type

**** Where The Votes Are, So Are All Those Calories <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/23/us/politics/23food.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin>
by Jodi Kantor, New York Times
Running for president is like entering a competitive eating contest and a beauty pageant all at once. Candidates are expected to eat local specialities often and with gusto, yet still look attractive and fit.

**** What Makes Us Moral <http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1685055_1685076_1686619,00.html>
by Jeffrey Kluger, Time
If the entire human species were a single individual, that person would long ago have been declared mad. The insanity woul dnot lie in the anger and darkness of the human mind&mdash;though it can be a black and raging place indeed. And it certainly wouldn't lie int he transcendent goodness of that mind&mdash;one so sublime, we fold it into a larger "soul." The madness would lie instead in the fact that both of those qualities, the savage and the splendid, can exist in one creature, on person, often in one instant.

**** I Went To Africa And All I Got Was Malaria <http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=445160>
by Jennifer Yael Green, The Stranger
But I read a great book about Africa while I was there.

**** Old Media Still Has Vital Role: Minister <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_179813.html>
by Li Xueying, Straits Times
Dr Lee Boon Yang, minister for information, communications and the arts, believes the mainstream media can stand up to the challenge of new media with what he sees as its 'strongest value proposition' to consumers: professionalism and objectivity.

**** Yo! Singapore Censor Rap Hits YouTube <http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2007-11-23T083421Z_01_SP166360_RTRIDST_0_ENTERTAINMENT-SINGAPORE-RAP-COL.XML&archived=False>
by Reuters

**** Police Playing The Dangerous Game Of Politics <http://pseudonymity.wordpress.com/2007/11/23/singapore-police-playing-the-dangerous-game-of-politics/>
by Singapore Democrats, Pseudonymity

**** Budget Carrier Flights Between Singapore And KL To Take Off By Feb <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/313318/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia
In one of the most long-awaited announcements, low cost carriers have finally been given the green light to operate the lucrative Singapore-Kuala Lumpur route from 1st February next year. However these will initially be limited to four flights daily - two from each side.

**** Pinoys In Singaproe Generally Satisfied - Embassy <http://www.pia.gov.ph/default.asp?m=12&fi=p071123.htm&no=19>
by ES Subong, PIA

**** Straits Times Quotes Temasek As Seeking To Avoid Nationalist Obstacles <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5glAzzcCpPFuQinWrw31ZQMIp0xNw>
by AFP
Singapore state-linked investment firm Temasek Holdings, whose purchase of Thailand's Shin Corp last year strained relations between the two countries, will try to avoid nationalist obstacles when investing abroad, a newspaper reported Friday.

**** Singapore October CPI Rises Faster Than Expected On Soaring Costs <http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2007/11/23/afx4367616.html>
by Thomson Financial
Singapore's consumer price index in October rose 3.6 percent compared to a year ago as soaring fuel prices boosted the cost of transportation as well as housing, the Department of Statistics said Friday. The rise was faster than the 2.7-3.0 percent annual increase forecast by economists polled by Thomson Financial.
The cost of transportation rose 4.3 percent in October compared to a year ago due to higher car price, petrol and bus fares.

**** I Love Cab Drivers! :) <http://violetlim.com/2007/11/22/i-love-cab-drivers/>
by Violet Lim
Even thought there are many errant cab drivers out there, there are many that are very nice too! :)

**** Bye Bye, Temasek... <http://wetardeds.blogspot.com/2007/11/bye-bye-temasek.html>
by Jiayu
Okay, I did badly for my PSLE. Oh god, I didn't take PSLE seriously. Last minute than I study. Zzz.

**** Temasek Seems To Bow Indonesia Law - Legislator <http://www.antara.co.id/en/arc/2007/11/23/temasek-seems-to-bow-indonesian-law--legislator/>
by Antara News
An Indonesian lawmaker said on Thursday he had the impression that Singapore's Temasek Holdings was trying to abide by the Business Competition Supervisory Commission (KPPU)'s ruling that it had practiced monopoly in the country's mobile phone business.
"I think Temasek is showing its intention to bow to and abide by the KPPU's decision by exercising its right to appeal the ruling," Andreas H Pareira, a member of the House of Representatives Commission for defnese, information and foreign affairs, said.
See Also:
President Did Not Discuss Temasek Issue With Singaporean PM <http://www.antara.co.id/en/arc/2007/11/22/president-did-not-discuss-temasek-issue-with-singaporean-pm/>, by Antara News.

**** Asean Over, Singapore Shuts Burma Patriots <http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=123857>
by DPA
The Burmese Buddhist temple in Singapore has stopped activists from using the venue to stage pro-democracy activities on behalf of their homeland, officials said Friday.

**** Singapore OKs Concert By US Gay Couple <http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071122/wl_asia_afp/lifestyleentertainmentsingaporegaysmusic_071122224247>
by AFP

**** Gani: Singapore Has Not Proven Its Case <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/11/23/courts/19559852&sec=courts>
by The Star
While Malaysia has proven its case that Pulau Batu Puteh was not /terra nullius/ (No Man's Land), Singapore has merely rested its claim on the inference that the island belonged to no one when it took possession of it in 1847 to 1851, the International Court of Justice heard.
Attorney-General Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail said Malaysia, however, has demonstrated that Johor consented to the constructio of the Horsburgh Lighthouse, as evidenced by the permission letters of Nov 25, 1844 from the Sultan and Temenggong of Johor.
See Also:
Rebuttals By Malaysia Turn Out To Be A Surprise <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_179806.html>, by Straits Times. In its final pleadings on Pedra Branca before an international court, Malaysia surprisingly rebutted few of the fresh points raised by Singapore earlier this week. It chose instead to restte its chief argument that the Johor sultanate possessed the original title to Pedra Branca.
Malaysia Says Johor Government In 1953 Didn't Have Right To Disclaim Disputed Island <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/313236/1/.html>, by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia. Malaysia's Attorney-General Abdul Gani Petail zoomed in on the 1953 letter, pointing out that Johor's Acting State Secretary then did not have the authority and no legal capacity to renounce, disclaim or confirm ownership of any of its territories.
Johor Official 'Had No Legal Authority To Disown Island' <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Friday/National/2091461/Article/index_html>, by V. Anbalagan, New Straits Times.
Singapore's Claim On Pulau Batu Puteh Flawed <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=298023>, by Nor Faridah A. Rashid, Bernama.
Public Sitting <http://www.icj-cij.org/docket/files/130/14203.pdf>, Held On Thursday 22 November 207, At 3 p.m., At The Peace Palace, Vice-President Al-Khasawneh, Acting President, Presiding, In The Case Conerning Sovereignty Over Pedra Branca/Pulau Batu Puteh, Middle Rocks And South Ledge (Malaysia/Singapore). (Note: PDF document.)

**** The Disappearing Subsidy... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2007/11/disappearing-subsidy.html>
by Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

**** Incredible Peeing Wall! <http://coolinsights.blogspot.com/2007/11/incredible-peeing-wall.html>
by Walter Lim, Cooler Insights

**** More Than Just A Sports Hub <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/223580.asp>
by Marilyn Ho, Singapore Sports Council, Today
The Sports Hub is more than a replacement for the existing National Stadium. It will be Singapore's premier sports, entertainment and lifestyle destination for Singaporeans as well as tourists.

**** Blogs 'Help Plug Gaps In News' <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/223588.asp>
by Tan Hui Leng, Today
While internet discussions and blogs contribute to the democratisation of societies, there is some way to go before online chatter becomes "real", said Malaysian newspaper columnist and activist Marina Mahathir.

**** 'Shattered' By Maths Paper, But They Did Fine <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/223618.asp>
by Lin Yanqin, Today
Pass rate for subject not much different from previous year, says a director from examinations board.

**** Chee Siok Chin Writes To Wong Kan Seng, Singapore Democrats, 21 Nov 2007 <http://pseudonymity.wordpress.com/2007/11/22/chee-siok-chin-seeks-clarifications-from-minister-for-home-affairs/>
by Pseudonymity
"The actions of the police in the mentioned incident is a grave violation of our constitutional rights, individual liberties and personal security."

**** Taxi Problem The Result Of 3 Deadly Sins <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-812.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
I believe the taxi problem reflects 3 of the biggest ills of Singapore: Elitism, over-regulation, and protection of government-linked companies. I suspect it's been hard for the government to solve the taxi problem precisely because the problem has grown out of their own worst instincts.

**** Mayhem Calls Into Question Aim To Be Cruise Hub <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_179576.html>
by Chang Kay Hoi, Straits Times