[MyAppleMenu] Nov 21, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 21 13:15:00 EST 2007

**** T-Mobile Says To Sell iPhone Without Contract <http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071121/tc_nm/tmobile_apple_iphone_dc>
by Reuters
Deutsche Telekom's T-Mobile will allow customers in Germany to buy Apple's iPhone without having to sign a a T-Mobile contract after rival Vodafone obtained a court injunction against it.

**** The Apple Of My Eye <http://www.greatwhatsit.com/archives/1953>
by Lisa Parrish, The Great Whatsit
Every friend I know who has made "the switch" has raved about Apple products. "I wish I'd done it sooner," is the mantra. Everything's so easy! There are no viruses! Apple products are beautiful! They'll improve your social life! THey've been known to cure cancer! So, why not make the change?

**** Diary Of A New Apple Mac Switcher <http://www.myfirstmac.com/index.php/mac/articles/diary-of-a-new-apple-mac-switcher/#When:05:57:00Z>
by Craig Alan Williamson, My First Mac

**** Apple Mail Bug Rises From The Dead To Menace Leopard Users <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=204200552>
by Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek
An attacker exploiting the security flaw could create an e-mail attachment that appears to be, for example, a JPEG image file, but executes malicious code when clicked on, without the warning dialogue that should be present.

**** Apple's iPhone Gets Legal Challenge In Germany <http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2007/11/19/daily29.html>
by Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal

**** Shareholders To Amend Apple Options Case <http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071120/apple_shareholder_lawsuit.html?.v=2>
by Associated Press

**** Apple Addresses European .Mac Speeds <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/11/20/apple.tackles.mac.speeds/>
by MacNN

**** Apple Plans 'Black Friday' Sales Special <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/11/20/apple.black.friday.event/>
by MacNN
Apple has announced a special sales event planned for this Friday, November 23rd.

**** Leopard Opens Dialog With Your iLife Library <http://www.macuser.com/tips/leopard_opens_dialog_with_your.php?lsrc=murss>
by Dan Moren, MacUser

**** So, Apple Is Not Spying On iPhone Users After All <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/11/so_apple_is_not.html>
by Stephen Wellman, InformationWeek

**** Promising Prospect: Quay <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/11/quaybeta/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
Quay nearly replicates Tiger's folder-in-Dock functionality, but also adds a few often-requested options.

**** Let's Hope Kindle Is Only Chapter One <http://www.forbes.com/technology/personaltech/2007/11/19/kindle-ipod-amazon-technology-personaltech-cx_ag_1119kindle.html>
by Forbes

**** Understanding Web Design <http://www.alistapart.com/articles/understandingwebdesign>
by Jeffrey Zeldman, A List Apart

**** The Google Set-Top Box (Think Android For TV) <http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/11/20/the-google-set-top-box-think-android-for-tv/>
by Erick Schonfeld, TechCrunch
Deep in the Googleplex there is an engineering team thinking about how to extend Google's reach into your TV.

**** The Economic Consequences Of Mr. Bush <http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/12/bush200712>
by Joseph E. Stiglitz, Vanity Fair
When we look back someday at the catastrophe that was the Bush administration, we will think of many things: the tragedy of the Iraq war, the shame of Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib, the erosion of civil liberties. The damage done to the American economy does not make front-page headlines every day, but the repercussions will be felt beyond the lifetime of anyone reading this page.

**** Singapore Police Abducts Activists In Daylight <http://singaporerebel.blogspot.com/2007/11/singapore-police-abducts-activists-in.html>
by Martyn See, No Political Films Please, We're Singaporeans

**** Temasek Ruling A Blow To Economic Democracy <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20071121.E02&irec=1>
by Habiburokhman, Jakarta Post
Among the controversy a very important suspicion has arisen: there may have been at least two legal violations in the case by the KPPU. These violations not only have criminal consequences, but could also completely cnacel KPPU's case against Temasek.

**** The Science Behind Pedra Branca Pictures - Photo Techniques And Perspective Compression <http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/rehashplus/post.htm?id=63001307>
by Michael Tan, CNET Asia

**** Burmese Good, Chees Bad <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/174560.html>
by Mollymeek

**** Does The Government Own Taxi Drivers A Living?
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
There are talks &mdash; such as this <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl071121_502.html> &mdash; that ask the government to do more to ensure taxi drivers can earn a decent living. Unfortunately, I feel that this sentiment is misplaced.
Being a taxi driver is, ultimately, a private business deal between the taxi driver and the taxi company. The cost of rental /and/ the selling price of the taxi service are set by the taxi company. The government has rightly, in my opinoin, deregulated this aspect of the business, and shouldn't interfere or subsidise.
It may seems harsh, but if one finds that one cannot make a decent living driving a cab, one should get out of this business. Do another business, or, perhaps, work for others. The government should create enough jobs for everyone. The government shouldn't need to create enough taxi-driving jobs for everyone.
To solve the taxi shortage problem, in my opinion, requires the government to do something that many taxi drivers will probably object: give more taxi licenses. De-regulate further by reducing the barrier to entry. Remove most of the current regulations such as call-booking minimum standards, fleet sizes, etc, so that more players can come in with innovative ideas. The LTA shouldn't dictate how to run a taxi company.

**** On The Student Demonstrations At Orchard <http://searchingforenlightenment.blogspot.com/2007/11/on-student-demonstrations-at-orchard.html>
by Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker

**** Activists Test Singapore With ASEAN Protests <http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=99818>
by AFP
Activists in Singapore challenged the city-state's tough laws on public demonstrations at a regional summit Tuesday, with three separate incidents including a gathering of 40 Myanmar protesters.

**** Singapore Stings Arguments With Facts To Show Sovereignty Over Pedra Branca <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/312768/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia
On the final day of its rebuttal, Singapore Tuesday strung all its arguments with facts and evidence to prove that it has sovereignty over Pedra Branca, which is also known as Pulau Batu Puteh in Malaysia.
Singapore's ambassador-at-large Professor Tommy Koh maintained that Peda Branca was no man's land in 1847, when the British went there to build the Horsburgh Lighthouse. He said Malaysia has failed to produce any evidence to show that it owns the island.
See Also:
Public Sitting <http://www.icj-cij.org/docket/files/130/14199.pdf>, Held On Tuesday 20 November 2007, At 10 a.m., At The Peace Palace, Vice-President Al-Khasawneh, Acting President, Presiding, In The Case Concerning Sovereignty Over Pedra Branca/Pulau Batu Puteh, Middle Rocks And South Ledge (Malaysia/Singapore).

**** Why All The Brouhaha Over Venerable Ming Yi's PhD? <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_178624.html>
by Jeffrey Law Lee Beng, Straits Times

**** Sustainable Business Plan For The Gardens <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_178837.html>
by Kenneth Er, National Parks Board, Straits Times
We are working out a sustainable busienss plan for the Gardens, while mindful that we need to keep it accessible to all Singaporeans.

**** No Threat To Security But Cops Threatened To 'Remove' Duo <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_178836.html>
by Leow Zi Xiang, Straits Times
Surely, I had a right to know why my freedom of movement was being proscribed. It is alarming that all I got in response were subtle threats and pure assertions of authority, without proper explanation.
See Also:
Two Singapore Democratic Party Leaders Arrested, Police Refuse To Give Reason <http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/archive/2007/11/20/two-singapore-democratic-party-leaders-arrested-police-refus.html>, by Singapore Democrats, Singabloodypore.

**** Orchard Road Sees Red <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/223243.asp>
by Nazry Bahrawi, Today
See Also:
In Singapore, Myanmar Activists Keep Within The Law <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_178750.html>, by Zakir Hussain and Tracy Sua, Straits Times.

**** Major Changes To Exec Condo Rules <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/223222.asp>
by Today
It has just become much more attractive to own an Executive Condominium (EC).

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** Seeds Of Wonder <http://jescahoop.com/music/>
by Jesca Hoop
Click here to listen <http://jescahoop.com/music/mp3/Seed_Of_Wonder.mp3>.