[MyAppleMenu] Nov 19, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Nov 19 13:15:01 EST 2007

**** Is Apple Collecting Your iPhone Usage Data? <http://www.9to5mac.com/apple-collecting-iPhone-data-23654675445>
by Cleve Nettles, 9 To 5 Mac

**** The Arrogance Of Steve Jobs <http://www.zdnetasia.com/blog/pinoypost/0,3800005677,63001269,00.htm>
by Melvin G. Calimag, ZDNet Asia

**** Thin Vs Fat: Google's Plan To Kill Microsoft Office <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/19/47FE-microsoft-office-google-apps_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/19/47FE-microsoft-office-google-apps_1.html>
by Randall C. Kennedy, InfoWorld
Is the Redmond juggemaut running out of steam, just as Google revs up its suite of thin-client aps?

**** Amazon Reveals Kindle E-Reader <http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19711>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** EarthLink Takes Hard Look At Muni Wi-Fi Unit <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/19/EarthLink-takes-hard-look-at-muni-Wi-Fi_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/19/EarthLink-takes-hard-look-at-muni-Wi-Fi_1.html>
by Stephen Lawson, IDG News Service

**** First Snow <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2007/11/26/071126po_poem_gluck>
by Louise Gluck, New Yorker

**** This Is Janet. This Is John... All Over Again <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7092601.stm>
by Finlo Rohrer, BBC News
Forget the modern updates, this Christmas you may find yourself getting a little literary slice of the 1950s.

**** Woody Talks <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/books/review/Kamp-t.html?ref=books>
by David Kamp, New York Times
Eric Lax's new book of interviews with Woody Allen, along with recent collections of Allen's fiction and prose, helps burnish the director's legacy.

**** Sweeping The Clouds Away <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/magazine/18wwln-medium-t.html?ref=magazine>
by Virginia Heffernan, New York Times
Nothing in the children's entertainment of today, candy-colored animation hoppped up on computer tricks, can prepare young or old for this frightening glimpse of simpler times.

**** The Sleep-Industrial Complex <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/magazine/18sleep-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&oref=slogin>
by Jon Mooallem, New York Times
Sleep may finally be claiming its place beside diet and exercise as both a critical health issue and a niche for profitable consumer products.

**** Protest Singaore Style; 3 Marchers, 19 Media, 1,000 Police <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aHKiTH1ny.7Q>
by Stephanie Phang, Bloomberg
The three protesters were followed by 19 reporters and photographers in an area of the city surrounded by 1,000 armed police and soldiers.

**** "Solutions" That Come With A Price <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/173596.html>
by Mollymeek
If an additional surcharge causes a temporary drop in demand, then taxi drivers may be further driven to make money through dishonest means.

**** The Death Penalty: New Evidence From The United States <http://www.singaporeangle.com/2007/11/the_death_penalty_new_evidence.html>
by Singapore Angle

**** Why Singaporeans Are More Pessimistic Than Their Poorer Asian Neighbours <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/11/19/why-singaporeans-are-more-pessimistic-than-their-poorer-asian-neighbours/>
by Leong Sze Hian and Yeo Toon Joo, theonlinecitizen

**** RI Should Not Let Singapore Be Too Dominant In ASEAN: Observer <http://www.antara.co.id/en/arc/2007/11/19/ri-should-not-let-singapore-be-too-dominant-in-asean-observer/>
by Antara News
Indonesia must be smart and not let Singapore become too dominant in ASEAN as the association is becoming stronger in the global political and economic competition, a political observer said.
Hermawan Sulistio, a political scientist at the Indonesian Institute of Sciences made the statement here on Monday in response to a call by SIngapore prime minister Lee Hsien Loong for economic integratio in ASEAN.

**** Students Defy Police, March Along Singapore's Premier Boulevard <http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/11/19/regional/regional_30056679.php>
by The Nation

**** Indonesia Finds Singapore's Temasek Guilty Of Breaking Competition Law <http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/newstex/AFX-0013-21083621.htm>
by Thomson Financial
The Indonesian anti-monopoly watchdown known as the KPPU ruled Monday that the Singapore government's investment arm Temasek Holdings has violated Indonesia's anti-monopoly laws because of its cross-ownership in the country's two largest cellular carriers.
The KPPU also ruled that Temasek must divest its state in one of the two cellular operators &mdash; PT Telkomsel and PT Indosat &mdash; to remove its cross-ownership within two years.

**** Singapore, Malaysia Return To ICJ To Rebut Statements Made <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/312383/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia
Singapore and Malaysia have presented their arguments at the International Court of Justice in support of their claims over the sovereignty of a disputed island and its two outcrops.
Singapore will start off with two days of rebuttal from Monday, whle Malaysia will get the next two days from Wednesday.

**** A Home For Foreigners, Too <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/222854.asp>
by John Ekundayo, Today

>From my experience, most Singaporeans could earn a Third-World rating in their treatment of foreigners.

**** Ren Ci Chief In New Controversy Over PhD <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_178159.html>
by Theresa Tan, Straits Times
Venerable Ming Yi's resume says he holds a PhD in philosophy from a 'Mannin University' in Ireland, but checks by the Straits Times with the British COuncil, the Irish Emabssy here and the Irish education authorities showed that neither the university nor its qualifications were recognised there.

**** Budget Airlines Guilty Of Wrong Practices Cited By EU Watchdog <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_178072.html>
by Chia Boon Beng, Straits Times
Our budget airlines continue to practise with impunity two to three of hte five examples of misleading practices cited by the European Uion (EU) consumer affairs watchdog.

**** While LTA Wields Stick, MP Proposes Carrot - A New Taxi Surcharge <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/222876.asp>
by Hedirman Suplan, Today
MP Seng Han Thong has suggested an additional sum for busy places like clubs, pubs, hotels, shopping malls and Raffles Place.