[MyAppleMenu] Nov 5, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Nov 5 13:15:00 EST 2007

**** Microsoft Changes Its Marketing Tune For Lackluster Zune <http://adage.com/article?article_id=121741>
by Alice Z. Cuneo, Advertising Age
Outgunned 8-to-1 in share by the unstoppable iPod, Microsoft is overturning its marketing strategy for Zune &mdash; and will rely more on traditional media to go after the white blight.
Good luck.

**** Teleport 1.0 Supports Multiple Macs <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19576>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Innovative software that lets users control several Macs using a single mouse and keyboard has been released.

**** O2 Scraps Data Cap On iPhone <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19578>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
O2 has stepped up its data plan for iPhone owners - offering truly unlimited data downloads, the company revealed this wekend.
/Was Apple working behind the scenes to get this changed?/

**** Leopard's Hits And Misses: A Spotty Record <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9045258&source=rss_topic123>
by Michael DeAgonia, Ryan Faas, Ken Mingis and Seth Weintraub, Computerworld
Now that we've used Apple's new OS for a week, what do we like and what falls short?

**** An Interview With Fake Steve Jobs And Review Of "Options" <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/fake-steve-jobs-options-review.ars>
by Charles Jade, Ars Technica

**** Is iTunes U For You? <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/31/AR2007103102521.html>
by Jeffrey Selingo, Washington Post
Now that Apple has amassed courses via podcasts from schools around the country, the offerings are uneven. But you can't beat the price.

**** Mac Market Share Slips, But Chip Milestone Passed <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9045478&source=rss_topic123>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
The slip &mdash; the first since July &mdash; may be due to sales slowing after the company wrapped up its annual back-to-school promotion in mid-September. The stagnation of Mac market share may also be connected to the release of Mac OS X 10.5, a.k.a. Leopard, On Oct 26, as some buyers postponed purchases until after Leopard's launch to ensure machines had the new operating system preinstaled.

**** Users At Risk Of Data Loss Thanks To 'Irresponsible' Apple <http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1523800412>
by Tom Jowitt, Techworld.com
A U.K. data recovery organization has warned Apple Macbook users that they risk potential data loss due to a design flaw on certain hard drives.
"The read/write heads are detaching from the arm and ploughing deep gouges into the magnetic platter," explained U.K. firm's managing director Duncan Clarke. "Apple are being utterly irresponsible and should launch a product recall."

**** NBC Has Hacked Their iPhone <http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/nbc-hacks-iphone/nbc-has-hacked-their-iphone-318634.php>
by Gizmodo

**** RAM Arbitrage <http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2007/11/ram-arbitrage>
by Mike Davidson
In configuring this MacBook at the online Apple Store, it struck me how much Appel /still/ charges for RAM, and gets away with.

**** Publishers See A Way To Track Their Content Across The Net <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/05/business/media/05paper.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Richard Perez-Pena, New York Times

**** Online Privacy Policies Don't Do Their Job, Critics Say <http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,139238-c,onlineprivacy/article.html>
by Grant Gross, IDG News Service
Online privacy policies need to be easier to understand and more conspicuous because few people now actually read them, said panelists at a U.S. Federal Trade Commission workshop on targeted online advertising.

**** A Firefighter's Theorem <http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2007/11/12/071112ta_talk_widdicombe>
by Liz Widdicombe, New Yorker
"It's simple, but the originality is to recognize that it's happening."

**** The Japanese Garden <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2007/11/12/071112po_poem_valentine>
by Jean Valentine, New Yorker

**** The Lost Art Of Leftovers <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7071501.stm>
by Denise Winterman, BBC News
We waste too much food and should return to the way we lived during the war, says a new campaign. It would save us money and help save the planet.

**** Bio Engineering <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/books/review/Donadio-t.html?_r=1&ref=books&oref=slogin>
by Rachel Donadio, New York Times
Few major living authors have a biography in progress. And that's just what most writers &mdash; and many biographers &mdash; prefer.

**** Most Singaporeans See Gambling As Harmful: Survey <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_173805.html>
by Irene Ngoo, Straits Times
"There were also increases in the proportion of Singaporeans who felt that it was possible to win lots of money if one had the right gambling skills, that one must not be afraid to take risks when gambling and that it made sense to continue gambling to win back the losses after losing money in gambling."

**** China Eastern 'About To Sign Singaproe Deal' <http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4262640a6026.html>
by Reuters
China Eastern Airlines said its Shanghai-listed A shares were suspended from today because it was about to sign a previously announced deal for Singapore Airlines to take a stake in it.

**** Gated Gardens <http://www.newsweek.com/id/67848>
by Sonia Kolesnikov-Jessop, Newsweek
Singapore has basically two kinds of real estate&mdash;luxury, or state-run.

**** An Open Letter To The Prime Minister <http://catherinelim.sg/2007/11/04/an-open-letter-to-the-prime-minister/>
by Catherine Lim
Here's where this idealised picture falls apart: it ignores the ineivitability of change through time.

**** TOC Report: WP 50Th Anniversary Dinner <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/11/04/toc-report-wp-50th-anniversary-dinner/>
by Choo Zheng Xi, theonlinecitizen
Moving forward: optimisim tempered with harsh political pragmatism.

**** Is This Why You Are Not Getting Any Cabs? <http://blog.simplyjean.com/2007/11/04/is-this-why-you-are-not-getting-any-cabs/>
by Simply Me. Simply Jean.

**** Revised Speed Limit Way Too Low On Nicoll Highway And KPE <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/220445.asp>
by Ong Yong Keat, Today

**** SMRT Found Lacking When It Comes To Public Bus Improvements <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_173009.html>
by Muhammad Hazique Salahudin, Straits Times