[MyAppleMenu] Jun 25, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 25 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** iPhone: It All Comes Down To Buttons <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003761241_brier25.html?syndication=rss>
by Brier Dudley, Seattle Times
What's still unclear is the best way to manipulate tiny computers &mdash; the ideal combination of buttons, keyboards, touch screens and voice commands.

**** Apple's iPhone Will Chnage The Very Nature Of Mobile Communications With Its Dazzling Design And Interface <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/06/25/BUG4JQK9GO1.DTL&feed=rss.business>
by Ryan Kim, San Francisco Chronicle
Call it the iPhone effect.
That's what you get when you throw a potentially game-changing device from an innovative pioneer into an established but stil evolving industry. Apple's uber-phone, a media and internet device that goes on sale Friday, has the potential to create seismic shifts in the cell phone industry larger than the size of the iPhone's sales, analysts and observers said.

**** Apple Posts Security Update 2007-006 <http://www.macminute.com/2007/06/25/apple-security-update/>
by MacMinute

**** IT Braces For iPhone Debut <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=mobile_and_wireless&articleId=297410&taxonomyId=15>
by Matt Hamblen, Computerworld
As Friday's scheduled release of Apple Inc.'s iPhone draws ever closer, some IT managers are hustling to get ready to support the new devices, anticipating the moment when the CEO walks in with one and demands to read his corporate e-mail on it.

**** Will Apple's iPhone Connect? <http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-iphone25jun25,1,4548492.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
by Michelle Quinn, Los Angeles Times
The tech innovator will face a steep learning curve and powerful rivals as it enters a promising new market.

**** Microsoft's Anti-Virtualization Stance: Forget DRM, Think Apple <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070624-microsofts-anti-virtualization-stance-forget-drm-think-apple.html>
by Ken Fisher, Ars Technica
Microsoft, I suspect, is terrified of a world in which standard, Joe-Consumer Windows can be virtualized and made to play second fiddle to Mac OS X, or even (say) Ubuntu Linux.

**** Hollywood Seeks Ways To Fit Its Content Into The Realm Of The iPhone <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/25/technology/25iphone.html>
by Laura M. Holson, New York Times
Mobile phone makers are scurrying to offer new products to compete with the iPhone's touch screen. Wireless carriers also seem more willing to listen to their partners' advice. And in Hollywood, where Mr Jobs' convention-defying tactics are all too familiar, media executives are eagerly preparing for a new era as they hope to position more content where consumers want it: in their hands.

**** Prepare For The SAT Test, Or Play With Your iPod? Have It Both Ways <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/25/technology/25kaplan.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Maria Aspan, New York Times

**** N.Y. Geeks Drool For Cool iPhone <http://www.nypost.com/seven/06242007/news/regionalnews/n_y__geeks_drool_for_cool_iphone_regionalnews_angela_montefinise.htm>
by Angela Montefinise, New York Post
The city has gone iPhoen crazy, with gadget geeks willing to do just about anything to score one of the coveted Apple creations debuting Friday &mdash; including bribery, sexual favors and payoffs.

**** In Defense Of Ajax For The iPhone <http://www.ajaxperformance.com/2007/06/24/in-defense-of-ajax-for-the-iphone/>
by Ryan Breen, Ajax Performance
I believe that Ajax on the iPhone represents nothing less than the future of mobile development, and we'll look back on Apple's decision to forsake a 'Real SDK' as ana rticulation of a bold and correct vision that perfectly fits where the market is heading.
/I'm yet to be convinced that traditional operating-system API is dead, and developers should all be moving onto the web./

**** Get Over It. The Web Is The Platform <http://benlog.com/articles/2007/06/24/get-over-it-the-web-is-the-platform/>
by Benlog
If you're not writing apps in cross-browser-compliant HTML+JavaScript, the clock is ticking. Or maybe I'm just an Apple fanboy.

**** iPhone Developer Specs Leaked Online <http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=84480&src=site-marq>
by Shaun Nichols, CRN Australia
Delegates attending the session were told that the phone will not offer Flash or Java, the two technologies that developers commonly use for online and mobile applications.
JavaScript, meanwhile, will be limited to five seconds of runtime, and HTML pages will be limited to 10MB in size.

**** Release Of iPhone Has Industry Abuzz <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070624/ap_on_hi_te/apple_iphone>
by May Wong, Associated Press

**** Mac 101: The Lozenge Button <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/24/mac-101-the-lozenge-button/>
by Mat Lu, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
It's that little gem-like button on the top right of OS X windows, and what it does is reveal or hide toolbars.

**** Lower Prices Ahead For Wi-Fi Access? <http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/24/business/wireless25.php>
by Eric Sylvers, Internationa Herald Tribune
The market may be ripe for change.

**** What Is It About The Cooking Of Women Chefs That Makes It More Memorable, More Comforting Than That Of Men? <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/06/24/CMGCVQ6DAA1.DTL>
by Mike Weiss, San Francisco Chronicle
Why did I prefer women's cooking? The question was a persistent in its way as the sense memory of biting through the crunchy, piquant buttermilk-and-flour coating and experiencing the briney creaminess of the Hama Hama oysters heated up with a spark of fresh cayenne.

**** The Coolest Cruciverbalist <http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2007/06/24/the_coolest_cruciverbalist/>
by Billy Baker, Boston Globe
I remember my first time with a clarity that makes my fingers twitch. I was barely a teenager, 13, maybe only 12. Today, the whole affair seems slightly hilarious: the mad struggle to fit the proper parts in the appropriate places, the false starts, the naked anxiety. Forget ecstasy. This was painful and humiliating, and it took forever to finish. But when the deed was done, I couldn't wait to do it again. I'm talking, of course, about my first crack at the crossword.

**** Diners Say They Want More Than Just Food <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_132665.html>
by Straits Times
It takes more than just good food to satisfy customers these days. Based on direct feedback, more diners are now saying that good service is the deciding factor when they assess the overall quality of their dining experience.
The problem, however, is that the local service industry's performance in this area has been lacklustre.

**** Private Sector Can Urge Government To Help Them: SM Goh <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/284398/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
Singapore's senior minister Goh Chok Tong believes the private sector can play a role in urging governments to come up with pragmatic policies to create favourable business conditions.
/Is this a signal that political lobbying is now acceptable in Singapore?/

**** NETS Fee Hike Doesn't Infringe Competition Act: Competition Panel <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/284325/1/.html>
by Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia
The Competition Commission of Singapore has concluded that the impending fee increase by NETS is not an infringement of the Competition Act.
The Commission added that in this case, there are alternative payment methods such as credit, debit and EZ-Link cards that consumers can use.

**** 'Pirates Of The Caribeean': The Singapore-Borneo Connection <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20070625.R05&irec=6>
by Andrew Symon, Jakarta Post
The connection between Hollywood's /Pirates of the Caribbean/, set in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, and Singapore and its surrounding seas is more than just the fancy of screenwriters.

**** What Is So Unique About Singapore? <http://complex-simplicity-1988.blogspot.com/2007/06/9-what-is-so-unique-about-singapore.html>
by Complex Simplicity
Our 'knack' of mixing things seems to be the most outstanding feature of Singapore.

**** 'No Cause For Alarm' On Minimum Sum <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_132508.html>
by Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times
Labour chief Lim Swee Say yesterday urged workers not to be alarmed by the possibility that the draw-down age for the Central Provident Fund (CPF) minimum sum might rise from 62 to 65.
At a dialogue with residents of Mountbatten, he explained that the government's focus was to ensure that Singaporeans had enough savings for their old age. Key to this was to help workers beyond their current reitrment age of 62 so they would continue to receive an income.
/You know what, if we define retirmenet age to be life-expectancy age plus one, we will probably eliminate the problem of old age altogether. :-)/

**** Oasis To Make Way For Sports Hub? It's An Attraction Worth Preserving <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_132336.html>
by Jackson Chia Sze Soon, Straits Times
In building construction, demolition is the easiest job. Enhancing the existing value is the real challenge. Please don't always look for the easiest way out.