[MyAppleMenu] Jun 10, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jun 10 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Why An iTnes Track Record Needs To Finish WIth A Coder <http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,2099293,00.html>
by John Naughton, The Observer
Apple ought to encrypt the consumer data, and implement a system for checking that the data have not been tampered with.
/As far as I understand, nobody has determined whether Apple do have encrypted customer data inside the so-called DRM-free tracks./

**** Here Comes The iPhone <http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/other/06/10/10iphone.html>
by Bob Keefe, David Ho, Cox News Service
Beneath Apple's marketing savvy is a device that could shake up the cell phone industry.

**** The GM Shuffle <http://blogs.msdn.com/rick_schaut/archive/2007/06/09/the-gm-shuffle.aspx>
by Rick Schaut, Buggin' My Life Away
So, he gets the Mac, he gets Microsoft and he understands that running a successful business is measured in terms of the value of the product to users and customers. Best of all, he gets my twisted sense of humor.

**** iPhone Hopes And Dreams <http://stevenf.com/2007/06/iphone_hopes_and_dreams.php>
by ~stevenf
As desirable as the iPhone seems to be, very few people have actually used one. It does demo amazingly well, but then so does Spotlight.

**** WWDC 2007 Keynote Bingo <http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2007/06/08/wwdc-2007-keynote-bingo>
by John Siracusa, Ars Technica

**** An Anthropomorphized Brushed Metal Interface Theme Shws Up For THe WWDC Preview Build Of Mac OS X Leopard <http://daringfireball.net/2007/06/brushed_metal_leopard>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball

**** The Big Apple WWDC Secrets Revealed (Not) <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2143326,00.asp?kc=ZDRSS05089TX1K0001002>
by David Morgenstern, eWeek
Maybe some. Apple's deveoper get-together is upcoming and wild, strategic theories are being floated online. But as history proves,with Steve Jobs and Apple, anything is possible.

**** Whither .Mac? <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/06/09/whither-mac>
by Charles Jade, Ars Technica

**** Spectrum Warriors <http://www.forbes.com/home/digitalinfrastructure/2007/06/08/wireless-fcc-auction-tech-intel-cx_bc_0611wireless.html>
by Brian Caulfield, Forbes
Think Apple's iPhone is cool? You haven't seen anything yet, tech entrepreneurs promise&mdash;that is, if the phone companies would just get out of their way. And they're asking the Feds to help them out.

**** New York: Yours, Mine And Theirs <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/weekinreview/10powell.html?ex=1339128000&en=ea591e7944682d69&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Michael Powell, New York Times
We are reminded again of the strange ambivalence that comes with being a New Yorker in a post-9/11 world.

**** An Outsider's Camera Provides A Ticket Into A Secret World <http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/travel/10journeys.html?ex=1339128000&en=d61ef7c668a257ba&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Howard W. French, New York Times
I can still perfectly recall those moments, a handful of times late in my first year here in Shanghai, when the late afternoon light was at its limpid best and the very special beauty of this city seemed distilled for me in all its clarity.

**** Slacking Off In Singapore <http://bluefox808.blogspot.com/2007/06/slacking-off-in-singapore.html>
by Bluefox808 Adventures!
I didn't realize how much I'd adapted to China until I went to Singapore. I had major culture shock. Everything's in English! It's so clean! Cars don't try to run e down!

**** Hassle-Free Entry For Travellers From Singapore <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sunday/National/20070610081921/Article/index_html>
by Lau Meisan, New Straits Times
Travellers entering Malaysia through Singapore will no longer have to go through two separate immigration and customs checks.

**** Cautious Integration <http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/09Jun2007_focus05.php>
by Umesh Pandey, Bangkok Post
Asia, which is pursing a plan to establish a free trade bloc, should learn from the European Union and avoid overstretching its trading ambitions, says one of the region's most senior figures. "What Asia can do is to study the lessons learned from the EU and then take a step-by-step approach to any kind of integration," says Lee Kuan Yew, Singapore's minister mentor.

**** Four Supermarket Chains To Absorb GST Hike Temporarily <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_127921.html>
by Straits Times

**** Hediard Singapore, Tudor Court <http://eatbma.blogspot.com/2007/06/hediard-singapore-tudor-court.html>
by The Travelling Hungryboy
And gourmet it was indeed, straight down to the lofty prices.

**** Stop Right There, Mr Alfian Saat <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/06/alfian-saat-is-very-talented-person.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
Since the ministry gave such meaningless answers, we can only guess what the real reason behind Alfian's termination was.

**** There's Terrorism, And There's The Terrifying <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/158055.html>
by Mollymeek
No matter how much the ISD is contributing to Singapore's security, can't the system be refined to protect innocent people?

**** Citizen Journalism In Singapore <http://james.seng.sg/archives/2007/06/09/citizen_journalism_in_singapore.html>
by James Seng
"This special edition just prove why we need real citizen journalism in Singapore."

**** Lessons From Singapore <http://www.newindpress.com/sunday/sundayitems.asp?id=SEC20070608064731&eTitle=Columns&rLink=0>
by N Vital, Newindpress
Pragmatism and realism thus emerge as the secret of the success of SIngapore's transformation from a third world to the first world. Lee Kuan Yew is living proof that a pragmatic approach can lead to better results.

**** I'm Sorry I'm Slow But I'm Just A Giant Reflective Orange Triangle <http://satanery.wordpress.com/2007/06/10/im-sorry-im-slow-but-im-just-a-giant-reflective-orange-triangle/>
by SATan's Kingdom
The feeling of being on a motorbike and feeling it responds to your every movement and instruction is damn shiok.

**** GST Hike 'Unlikely To Raise Hawker, Cooked Food Prices' <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_127776.html>
by Sue-Ann Chia, Straits Times
Most hawkers and restaurants have not tried to take advantage of the impending Goods and Service Tax hike to jack up prices. Cooked food price index rose 0.4 per cent between October last year and April this year.
Minister of state for trade and indusry Lee Yi Shyan said they are a clear sign that prices are not likely to increase excessively with the GST hike.

**** Preserve Holidays: Close Schools For 2 Weeks <http://tnp.sg/columnists/story/0,4136,132685,00.html?>
by Santokh Singh, New Paper
We must agree that rest and recreation do have a place in our lives, as does the spending of leisure time with family and friends. So let us come to a compromise.
I propose that we have a cmpulsory two-week complete shutdown of all schools during the June holidays.