[MyAppleMenu] Jul 26, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jul 26 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** The Mac Mini Is Dead: Why It Missed The Target <http://lowendmac.com/musings/mm07/0726.html>
by Dan Knight, Low End Mac
The Mac mini was not a realistic solution to Apple's problem of expanding into the consumer market.

**** Why Apple Profits Pack Such Punch <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2007/tc20070725_639063.htm?campaign_id=rss_tech>
by Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek
SUre, the tech company showed strong revenue growth. But its profit potential is what really matters.

**** Apple Tips Its Hand <http://www.forbes.com/technology/2007/07/25/apple-3q-earnings-markets-equity-cx_bc_0725markets38.html?partner=rss>
by Brian Caulfield, Forbes
Translation: Apple is going to shake up its product lineup.

**** Me And My Mac <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2162397,00.asp>
by John C. Dvorak, PC Magazine
That's right. I'm using a Mac, and, surprise, I like it. Deal.

**** Apple: "Product Transition" In Sept. Quarter <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/07/26/product.transition.in.q4/>
by MacNN
The higher revenue guidance and lower earning sguidance could indicate a new product introduction with lower margins or a high capitalized R&amp;D cost.

**** AT&amp;T, Apple Differ On The iPhone Gap <http://news.com.com/ATT%2C+Apple+differ+on+the+iPhone+gap/2100-1047_3-6198884.html?tag=nefd.lede>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
The back-and-forth calls into question just how widespread those initial activation problems were among the iPhone early adopters.

**** AquaPark <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=837>
by Michael Wuerthele, Inside Mac Games
Casual games are still games, and as such, need to be fun to play! More work ont he concept, developers! As it stands this game isn't worth the money.

**** The Best Mac Quarter, Ever <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2007/07/aaplresults/index.php?lsrc=macwordblog>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
It seems to be a pretty good time to be a Mac user. And it appears that there are a whole lot more of us today than there were just a few years ago.

**** Apple Changes Retail Accounting Rules <http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2007/07/25/apple-changes-retail-accounting-rules/>
by ifoAppleStore
The changes tend to increase the profit that stores report, but also decrease reported revenues as they're spread over a longer period of time.

**** What Apple Copied From Microsoft <http://www.zeldman.com/2007/07/25/what-apple-copied-from-microsoft/>
by Jeffrey Zeldman
My iPhone has made me stop using calendar, contact, and e-mail applications I've used day and night for over a decade, and switch to the free&mdash;and in some ways less capable&mdash;applications that come bundled with Macintosh OS X.

**** Apple Reports $818 Million Profit, Record Mac Sales <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/07/25/appleearnings/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
The highly anticipated iPhone was released on June 29, the next-to-last day of the third quarter. Apple reported 270,000 units sold. That figure is higher than the 146,000 iPhone activations AT&amp;T reported for its quarterly earnings, suggesting that activation delays during the iPhone's weekend may have depressed AT&amp;T's figures.

**** Apple, Sony Sued For Alleged Battery Burns <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/07/25/battery.suit/>
by MacNN

**** Get Creative <http://www.macworld.com/2007/07/features/gems_creative/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Macworld
You've taken the pictures and done your editing. Now it's time to put your work into action. These tools will help you get your original artwork and designs ready for prime time.

**** Premiere Pro CS3: Adobe Restores Its Video-Editing Software To The Mac <http://www.macworld.com/2007/07/reviews/premiereprocs3/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Antony Bolante, Macworld
Premiere Pro CS3 is a good value, especially compared with the more expensive Avid Xpress. But although its capabilities and price are similar to Final Cut Pro 6's, its features alone won't convert Final Cut Studio's adherents.

**** What It Took To Hack The iPhone <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=mobile_and_wireless&articleId=9027858&taxonomyId=15>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
The iPhone vulnerability that could let hackers steal data or commandeer the device also exists in the desktop edition of Apple Inc.'s Mac OS X operating system, the exploit's researchers said today.

**** Hide The Button: Steve Jobs Has His Finger On It <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118532502435077009.html?mod=hps_us_pageone>
by Nick Wingfield, Wall Street Journal
When it comes to product design, Mr Jobs functions like an exacting editor, challenging hardware engineers and industrial designers to trim unnecessary features that don't add value to a product, says one former Apple executive.

**** Possible Evidence That Leopard Could Bring True iPhone Apps <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/25/possible-evidence-that-leopard-could-bring-true-iphone-apps/>
by David Chartier, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

>From what we hear, evidence has been found that references to the ARM architecture appear in several of Leopard's standard include files.

**** The Submerged Cathedral <http://www.poetrylondon.co.uk/index.htm?poems/crumens.htm>
by Carol Rumens, Poetry London

**** Essentials <http://www.thepedestalmagazine.com/Secure/Content/cb.asp?cbid=5155>
by Grant Tracey, The Pedestal Magazine

**** Comparative Shopping <http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/comparative-shopping/>
by Theodora Brack, 3:AM Magazine

**** HBO: It's Not TV, It's A Fancier Lifetime Movie Network <http://www.avclub.com/content/blog/hbo_its_not_tv_its_a_fancier>
by Steve Hyden, A.V. Club
Based on the hoity-toity "It's Not TV" image HBO likes to promote for itself, shouldn't I expect more as a subscriber?

**** Chicken Price War Between Supermarkets Hurting Smaller Stallholders <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/290564/1/.html>
by Lynda Hong, Channel NewsAsia
Major supermarkets have been slashing prices for chicken since February, with the heat of this price war rising in the past one to two months.

**** Singapore - PAP Feeling Heat From The Democracy Campaign <http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/archive/2007/07/26/singapore-pap-feeling-heat-from-the-democracy-campaign.html>
by Singapore Democratic Party, Singabloodypore

**** StarHub To Launch New Malay Cable Entertainment Channel <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/290462/1/.html>
by Zul Othman, Today

**** Quicker Action Needed To Head Off SEZ Competition <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailbusiness.asp?fileid=20070726.L04&irec=3>
by Andi Haswidi, Jakarta Post
"Quick action is needed due to the increasing competition from other SEZs and the availability of alternative investment destinations," Singapore Chamber of Commerce secretary Mark K. Y. Wong told the discussion on SEZs Wednesday.
Wong said that Singaporeans were actually keener to cooperate with the Malaysian authorities in an SEZ development in Johor.

**** Weekend Revellers Urged To Party In Singapore <http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/86824.html>
by DPA
Revellers from neighbouring countries are being lured to Singapore to party through the weekend in the latest pitch to attract more visitors, the tourism board said on Thursday.

**** Singapore: E-Govt Succes Lures Cyber Terrorists <http://www.zdnetasia.com/smb/news/0,39043754,62029329,00.htm>
by Lynn Tan, ZDNet Asia

**** Rehab, Not Jail, For Early Cannabis, Cocaine Offenders <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/202325.asp>
by Today
First- and second-time abusers of cannabis and cocaine will, from next month, get a shot at rehabilitation, without having to bear the stigma of a criminal record.
Cannabis and cocaine are two of the more commonly abused drugs in Singapore, and the government's plan is to gradually include all durgs under the DRC rehabilitation and long-term imprisonment regime.

**** Singapore Air To Auction Seats On Inaugural A380 Flight Through eBay <http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2007-07-25-singapore-a380-ebay_N.htm?csp=34>
by Associated Press
Singapore Airlines, the first carrier in the world to fly the new superjumbo Airbus A380, will auction all seats on its inaugural flight on eBay, and donate the proceeds to charities, the airline said Wednesday.

**** Did Officers Break The Law? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/202271.asp>
by Lionel De Souza, Today
Use of laser pointers in breach of law for security agencies.
See Also:
Jacky's Security Shouldn't Have Used Lasers <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/201825.asp>, by Camie Chua, Singapore Indoor Stadium, Today.
Concert Truly A Sight Sore Eyes <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/200489.asp>, by Kuang Jingkai, Today.

**** Youngest Dengue Death Confirmed <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/202323.asp>
by Tan Hui Leng, Today
The Ministry of Health yesterday confirmed that 25-year-old sportsman Ian Ng is the fourth dengue death this year.

**** New Cameras To Catch Errant Drivers On The Cards <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_142548.html>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
Street cameras will soon be taking pictures of motorists who stray into bus lanes, park illegally, make illegal modifications to their vehicles, or stop or drive where they shouldn't.
The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is sourcing for camera technology that will capture all these violations.

**** Why Should We Pay 50 Cents For A Glass Of Iced Water At Restaurants? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_142535.html>
by Adeline Yap Mei Ling, Straits Times

**** Not at Orchard For Now <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/202317.asp>
by Ngiam Ying Lan, Today
Escalating Orchard Road rents mean there will no longer be a library in Singapore's prime shopping district &mdash; for the next few years, at least.
See Also:
The Library at Orchard To Close <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/290279/1/.html>, by Channel NewsAsia.

**** Hospital Bills Up 10% To 30% Across All Ward Classes! <http://disgruntledsporean.blogspot.com/2007/07/hospital-bills-up-10-to-30-across-all.html>
by Useless Rantings Of A Few Disgruntled S'poreans...
The only reason why more and more SIngaporeans are choosing to stay in class C wards for serious illness is because they are increasing unable to afford-stay in better class of wards!