[MyAppleMenu] Jul 9, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 9 13:15:02 EDT 2007

**** FireWire Trade Group Rejects 'Stagnation' Claim <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18483>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Representative of the 1394 Trade Association Richard Davies said: "We disagree with the InStat report, and see good growth for FireWire deployment both now and in future."

**** Wacky Mini Golf <http://www.macworld.com/2007/07/reviews/wackyminigolf/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** 20+ Apps From iPhoneDevCamp <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/07/08/20-apps-from-iphonedevcamp>
by Charles Jade, Ars Technica

**** It Doesn't Matter <http://switchblog.com/2007/07/it-doesnt-matter.html>
by SwitchBlog
I can play out a scenario where Bill Gates says, "but we have all of this developer support", to which the obvious reply is, "it doesn't matter."

**** Apple Proves Proprietary Approach Still Has Legs <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/9B4197F5898E384ACC257310000C1270>
by Rob O'Neill Auckland, Computerworld
Is it time to venture that Apple's failure of the 1990s had nothing whatsoever to do with whether its products were proprietary or "open"? Its problems were that it was making lousy products and was innovating in the wrong places.

**** The MacBook Pro <http://erraticwisdom.com/2007/07/08/the-macbook-pro>
by Erratic Wisdom
Or how it is possible to fall in love with a machine.

**** Apple's iPhone Prompts Spirit Of Cooperation <http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-phonecamp9jul09,0,3989709.story?coll=la-home-center>
by Michelle Quinn, Los Angeles Times
Fueled by caffeine and curiosity, more than 300 laptop-wielding tech geeks filled a borrowed office this weekend to unlock the mysteries of Apple Inc.'s iPhone.
The enthusiasts planned the weekend gathering, which they called iPhoneDevCamp. They spent the weekend trying to make the iPhone bend to their will, to do things they wanted it to do and some things that Apple might prefer it didn't.

**** Open-Source Journalism: It's A Lot Tougher Than You Think <http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2007/07/view_from_crowds>
by Anna Haynes, Wired

**** Wrong On Hyperlocal: Google And Web 1.0 Killed Backfence <http://publishing2.com/2007/07/09/wrong-on-hyperlocal-google-and-web-10-killed-backfence/>
by Scott Karp, Publishing 2.0
The problem with all the thinking on hyperlocal is that it's focused on what we think people need, i.e. more local news reporting, not what they want, i.e. help getting things done &mdash; web publishers figured out 10 years ago how to give people what they want, and then Google stepped in and took care of the rest.

**** Katie Roiphe's Morning After <http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2007/07/09/katie_roiphe/>
by Rebecca Traister, Salon
With raves for her book dissecting modernist marriages and a hot new journalism job at NYU, has feminism's enfant terrible finally grown up?

**** The Boy On The Bus <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/06/AR2007070602008.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Joel Achenbach, Washington Post
Growing up in 1970s Florida, I was a small cog in America's Grand Integration Project. We thought it worked. Did it?

**** Tough Commute On A Train Not Meant For People <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/09/world/africa/09mauritania.html>
by Sharon LaFraniere, New York Times
One might ask why any sane person would ride 419 miles through the Sahara in a railroad hopper, scorched by a blazing sun, surrounded by goats, fated to pass 17 hours watching desperate companions relieve themselves over the side of the car.
For one, it is free. And two, it is virtually the only way to get to Zouerate.

**** You Can Play Sudoku Just About Anywhere, Really <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/07/you-can-play-sudoku-just-about-anywhere.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
It feels kinda strange, really. It's like Singapore isn't real. It's just a construct of my imagiation, an abstract puzzle with its own peculiar rules.

**** Youth Activism In Singapore <http://www.singaporeangle.com/2007/07/youth_activism_in_singapore_1.html>
by Singapore Angle

**** FEER Fails In Appeal For QC To Fight Defamation Case <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/287085/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
Singapore's Court of Appeal dismissed the appeal with costs and upheld an earlier High Court decision to disallow a Queen's Counsel to represent the magazine.
Senior Counsel Davinder Singh pointed out through various correspondence that at least two senior counsels had offered to take the case, but FEER did not follow up with them.

**** Indonesia-Singapore Relations: Strained Again? <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailheadlines.asp?fileid=20070709.B07&irec=6>
by Jusuf Wanandi, Jakarta Post
Singapore needs to better understand the changes happening in Indonesia. They create inefficiencies, but are important for Indonesia and the region's future. For that Singapore has to be patient, should seriously assist Indonesia and reach out to a lot more leaders and people than ever before. Soeharto's era and political system, including the role of the armed forces, is passed.

**** Marina Bay NDP <http://enigmaticalmist.livejournal.com/54329.html>
by Where Only The Wind Sees

**** Singapore Yet To Issue Pork Export Certificate <http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/gen/2007/07/09/bus/singapore.yet.to.issue.pork.export.certificate.html>
by Sun.Star
The scheduled shipment of the country's pioneer shipment of premium fresh frozen pork meat to Singapore last month failed to materialize, pending the validation of the condition of processing plants and piggeries in Mindanao, a top company executive said.

**** EPU In Final Stage Evaluating Kuala Lumpur-Singapore Bullet Train Proposal - Chan <http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=272007>
by Bernama
The Economic Planning Unit (EPU) in the Prime Minister's Department is in the final stage of evaluating the proposed RM8 billion train project between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. Transport minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said.

**** JB Umno Youth Wants MM Lee To Retract Remarks On IDR Support <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_137173.html>
by Straits Times
UMNO Youth Johor Baru wants minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew to retract his remarks which it said accused Umno Johor of not supporting prime minister Abdullah Badawi and the Iskandar Development Region (IDR).

**** CPF: The Point Of Higher Returns <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_137081.html>
by Chua Mui Hoong, Straits Times
Before the government contemplates locking up workers' CPF funds for a long period, it has to assure Singaporeans that the money is being put to good use n the first place.
In other words, look at the rate of return. In this respect, CPF's record has been solidly mediocre.

**** NKF Owed $1.8M In Unpaid Fees By Patients <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_137178.html>
by Radha Basu, Straits Times
The amount patients owe the NKF in unpaid fees has more than doubled in the two years since early July 2005, when an uproar over its then chief executive T.T. Durai's pay and perks landed the charity firmly in the public spotlight.

**** Getting A Cab? Easy, Say 3 In 4 Tourists <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/198912.asp>
by Lin Yanqin and Daphne Chuah, Today
Despite the brickbats from locals and the occasional foreign-writer for their alleged disappearing acts during peak hours, Singapore's taxi drivers didn't fare too badly in a Today poll of 100 tourists.
/Without knowing how the survey was conducted &mdash; the questions asked, and how the samples were chosen &mdash; I have no idea why the result of this poll differs so differently from the experiences of many Singaporeans, including me./

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** Last Train To Ithaca <http://www.josepharthur.com/av/index.htm>
by Joseph Arthur
Click here to listen <http://www.josepharthur.com/songs/Last%20Train%20To%20Ithaca.mp3>.