[MyAppleMenu] Jan 21, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 21 13:15:01 EST 2007

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Apple's Way To The Living Room
<http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3655066>
David Needle, InternetNews.com

Apple is using QuickTime to fast-track its way to your living room, and it's pushing support of the emerging MPEG 4 standard, which is partly based on the player, to get there.

*** Figuring Out The P.E. Ratio Of Steve Jobs
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/20/business/20values.html?ex=1169874000&en=991cb53bb1239c67&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS>
Conrad De Aenlle, New York Times

While Mr Jobs' ideas do not always work out, he has been on a spectacular winning streak this decade, and the company would not be the same without him. Unfortunately, investors have had to contemplate that possibility since Apple acknowledge irregular prctices involving stock options.

[Opinion]

*** Thoughts On Apple In The Big Apple
<http://www.thetrendjunkie.com/2007/01/20/apple-in-the-big-apple/>
The Trend Junkie

This thing rocks, I have a long way to go, but all in all my first week of being a MacBook Pro owner, it's two thumbs up from this PC veteran.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Considered iPod Rival, Apple Partnership
<http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=MSFT:US&sid=anhaQOstu83g>
Dina Bass and Bob Van Voris, Bloomberg

Microsoft as early as 2003 considered a partnership with Apple or creating its own digital music player to rival Apple's dominant iPod.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Big Media's Crush On Social Networking
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/21/business/yourmoney/21frenzy.html>
Richard Siklos, New York Times

Don't get me wrong. I like people, and interacting with so many of them is one of the great pleasures of my job. And, heck, all the journalists do all day long is call people who may not want to hear from them. But that said, I have always recoiled at the use of the word "network" as a verb. I wouldn't want to join any social networking web site that would want me as a member. You might say that I am into antisocial networking.

*** Software Savior?
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16692270/site/newsweek/>
Rana Foroohar, Newsweek

When you think of technology visionaries, Hasso Plattner's name probably doesn't spring to mind. But it should. As the founder of the German company SAP, the world's third largest software maker after Microsoft and Oracle, Plattner has been every bit as influential as better-known peers like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs. Now Europe's software giant is at the heart of another shift, as the rise of the internet turns the software industry on its head.

*** Google, Yahoo!, Microsoft And Vodaphone Display Some Cojones
<http://rconversation.blogs.com/rconversation/2007/01/google_yahoo_mi.html>
Rebecca MacKinnon, RConversation

Google, Yahoo!, Microsoft and Vodaphone are now committed publicly to a process "which aims to produce a set of principles guiding company behavior when faced with laws, regulations and policies that interfere with the achievement of human rights."

*** Most RSS Readers Are Wrong
<http://www.scripting.com/2007/01/20.html#mostRssReadersAreDesignedWrong>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

Most RSS readers remind the user, all the time, how wrong he or she is. Or inadequate or lazy or behind in their work.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Featherhood
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2007/01/21/featherhood/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Globe+Magazine>
James Sullivan, Boston Globe

After almost four decades on Sesame Street, Caroll Spinney -- the man who brings Big Birad and Oscar the Grouch to life -- still has a spring in his giant step.

*** The Sound And The Fury
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/21/nyregion/thecity/21heat.html?ref=thecity>
Noah Marcel Sudarsky, New York Times

Night life and noise are always a fraught topic in the city, but they are particularly so now. An overhaul of the city's noise code, the first in more than 30 years, will take effect on July 1. Moreover, in light of the growth of bars in gentrifying areas and the spillover of smoking patrons onto sidewalks because of the no-smoking laws, officials are taking a close look at night-life regulation.

*** Looking For My Father In Las Vegas
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/21/magazine/21Gambling.t.html?ex=1327035600&en=e59eb89520a6a28a&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Pat Jordan, New York Times

My father never worked a day in his life. He was a gambler and a con man and a grifter for all of the 65 years that I knew him. He gambled on pool, cards, dice, horses, sports events, two ipgeons sitting on a fence, anything -- as long as he could find an edge.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Manpower Minister Says Govt Looking At Tweaking CPF Rate
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/253833/1/.html>
Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

Manpower Minister Ng Eng Hen's assessment is that it will take some 10 to 15 years for wages of the low-income workers to go up.

*** Thai Workers In Singapore Unaffected By Soured Bilateral Rrelations
<http://etna.mcot.net/query.php?nid=27417>
TNA

About 45,000 Thai workers currently employed in Singapore are unlikely to be affected by the sagging bilateral relations between the two neighbouring countries, a senior Thai official said Sunday.

*** MM: At Least 1-Point Cut In Corporate Tax
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:4080ba19f7040110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Peh Shing Huei, Straits Times

Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew yesterday disclosed the impending cut from the present rate of 20 per cent, saying it had to be done to keep Singapore attractive to investors.

*** Amnesty Issues Appeal To Stop Singapore Execution Of Nigerian Drug Trafficker
<http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/01/20/asia/AS-GEN-Singapore-Amnesty-Death-Penalty.php>
Associated Press

Amnesty International's appeal suggested that the judge who convicted Iwuchukwu "appears to have accepted that he might not have realized the substance he was carrying was heroin."

[Opinion]

*** Heads To Roll In CNA?
<http://singaland.blogspot.com/2007/01/heads-to-roll-in-cna.html>
Singaland

Though the "mistakes" were rectified almost immeidately it failed to prevent some of its ardent readers from discovering the gems and publicised them in some internet forums and blogs.

*** Religion And Singapore
<http://uzyn.com/2007/01/21/religion-and-singapore/>
uzyn.com

What good are the imporvements of education system in the country and the facilities and infrastructures to pomorte a thinking society... when most and increasingly more of its people are not thinking.

[Entertainment]

*** Singaporeans Poke Fun At Themselves In Satire
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20070121.O01&irec=21>
Nauval Yazid, Jarkarta Post

Singaproeans really have a good time making fun of themselves -- on the stage, that is.