[MyAppleMenu] Jan 13, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 13 13:15:00 EST 2007

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Hackers Look For iPhone Vulnerabilities
<http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=8080>
Robert McMillan, PC Advisor

*** Automakers Can Learn From Apple
<http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8MJU0KO0.htm>
Tom Krisher, Associated Press

*** Cisco Lost Rights To iPhone Trademark Last Year, Experts Say
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=236>
Ed Burnette, ZDNet

The trademark was apparently abandoned in late 2005/early 2006 because Cisco was not using it.

*** Feds Probing Stock Options Grant To Jobs
<http://www.topix.net/content/ap/1170206780428031412207728540982199062180>
Jordan Robertson, Associated Press

Federal investigators are still examining whether any of the accounting shenanigans at Apple Inc. rose to the level of criminal behavior, even though the company has cleared CEO Steve Jobs and all current executives of any wrongdoing in an internal stock options backdating probe, according to a person close to the matter.

*** Why Hollywood Snubbed Jobs At Macworld
<http://businessweek.com/print/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jan2007/db20070112_399642.htm>
Ronald Grover, BusinessWeek

Most of Tinseltown won't buy into the Apple chief's digital vision until he ponies up more money and gets more serious about protecting content.

*** Glenn Fleishman Schools Us, Wi-Fi Style
<http://www.macuser.com/people/mw07_glenn_fleishman_schools_u.php?lsrc=murss>
Dan Moren, MacUser

"First, I'm really pissed off that they didn't change the name."

*** Confirmed: Macworld Expo 2008 Dates
<http://www.macuser.com/events/confirmed_macworld_expo_2008_d.php?lsrc=murss>
Scott Silverman, MacUser

*** How Apple Could Fight Cisco
<http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6149755.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
Tom Krazit, CNET News.com

Settlement is the most likely outcome of this dispute, given the burden of proof on Apple needed to overcome Cisco's trademark registration, lawyers said.

*** Week In Review: Apple Steals The Show
<http://news.com.com/2100-1083_3-6149747.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
Steven Musil, CNET News.com

As two major tech conferences competed for the attention of the gadget-conscious world, it was Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs who stole the spotlight.

*** Parish Kohnaim: Paradise On Earth
<http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/kohanim/>
Bija Gutoff, Apple

*** Mark Becker: Living La Vida "Romantico"
<http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/becker/>
Nancy Eaton, Apple

[Opinion]

*** Ultimate iPhone FAQs List, Part 2
<http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/13/ultimate-iphone-faqs-list-part-2/>
David Pogue, New York Times

*** Why Can't Apple, Cisco Just Play Nice?
<http://news.com.com/Why+cant+Apple%2C+Cisco+just+play+nice/2100-1039_3-6149663.html?tag=newsmap>
Marguerite Reardon, CNET News.com

*** Apple TV Could Have Appeal -- Eventually
<http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?guid=%7B5A4B9B20%2DDDE5%2D46AA%2D8B73%2D9BBFEF4DFFB7%7D&dist=rss>
David B. Wilkerson, MarketWatch

Apple's new Apple TV product could eventually pose a challenge to cable and satellite providers -- but the hurdles are substantial, and won't be overcome any time soon.

*** Is Safari Headed For Windows?
<http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/01/is_safari_heade.html>
Scott Gilbertson, Wired News

It seems that the Mozilla Foundation thnks a Windows Safari port is a possibility.

*** Does The iPhone Need Patents?
<http://techdirt.com/articles/20070111/005550.shtml>
TechDirt

The downside is that Apple doesn't need to keep up the same pace of innovation now.

*** The Ultimate iPhone Frequently Asked Questions
<http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/the-ultimate-iphone-frequently-asked-questions/>
David Pogue, New York Times

*** Jobs On The iPhone Being A Closed System
<http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/gartenberg/archives/2007/01/jobs_on_the_iph.html>
Michael Gartenberg, Jupiter Research

*** Apple's Shrinking Magic Circle
<http://valleywag.com/tech/media-relations/apples-shrinking-magic-circle-227748.php>
Valleywag

The briefings were more limited this year than usual.

*** Pushing No Buttons With The iPhone
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/01/iphoneadvocacy/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Eric Suesz, Macworld

I've given up on trying to convince my PC-using friends to switch to the Mac.

*** Mac Superheroes To The Rescue
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/expo/2007/01/gaming/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

[Sidetrack]

*** You Want An Apple Phone Now? (Part I)
Heng-Cheong Leong

So, you are grumbling about having to wait for another six more months to buy and use an iPhone?

You should probably know that we Apple customers here in the rainy (for the past few months) Singapore are waiting for a) iPhoto photo book printing, b) iTunes Music Store, c) iPhone.

Now, your i-life isn't that bad, isn't it?

:-)

*** You Want An Apple Phone Now? (Part II)
Heng-Cheong Leong

How about this <http://www.flickr.com/photos/13752352@N00/351423383/in/photostream/>> (via Boing Boing <http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/12/apple_phone_no_need_.html>)

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Connecting The Digital Home
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/6254909.stm>
Dan Simmons, BBC News

It has long been promised that the PC will become the entertainment hub of the home. However, the problem with this vision is that our computers tend to sit in the bedroom and means getting those movies, music and pictures the last few metres to the living room is a real pain.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** The Art Of Being Shamless
<http://www.ft.com/cms/s/5832211e-a266-11db-a187-0000779e2340.html>
Chrystia Freeland, Financial Times

I suspect that part of the reason self-promotion makes some of us cringe is the lovely belief that if something is really good, it will naturally find an audience. But a recent study of what creates a cultural hit by Columbia University sociologists Matthew Salganik, Peter Sheridan Dodds and Duncan Watts suggests what I have always feared: "Success was only partly determined by quality."

*** Newspapers... And After?
<http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070129/nichols>
John Nichols, The Nation

The dinosaurs still have enough life in them to guide -- and perhaps even define -- our politics.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Post-Secondary Fund For Singaporeans To Do Higher Education Soon: Tharman
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/252351/1/.html>
Valarie Tan, Channel NewsAsia

Singaporeans may soon get extra funds from the government to pursue higher education.

*** AirAsia Hopes To Fly KL-Singapore Route As Early As June
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/252209/1/.html>
Johnson Choo, Channel NewsAsia

The Malaysian low-cost carrier AirAsia has given the clearest indication yet -- of when it hopes to be flying directly from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore.

*** Former Vice-Chairman Fingered For Contributing To Mismanagement Of NKF
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/252139/1/.html>
May Wong, Channel NewsAsia

*** 9 Picked As NMPs; 2nd Term For NMPs Eunice Olsen, Dr Loo
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/252196/1/.html>
Noor Mohd Aziz, Channel NewsAsia

[Opinion]

*** CSJ Refutes AG On The "Rule Of Law" In Singapore
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2007/01/csj-refutes-ag-on-rule-of-law-in.html>
Chee Soon Juan, Singapore Election Watch

No matter how shrill you scream from your pedestal, you will not change the fact that the system that we presently have makes a mockery of the rule of law.

*** ICT & Defence Budget
<http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2007/01/ict-defence-budget.html>
Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives

Huge amount of money is spent by Mindef to recall its NSmen back every year for training. Yet, Mindef does not feel that it is a waste of money if the facilities for training of critical skills like shooting is not maintained properly or up to date in roder to achieve the necessary standards?

*** The Wisdom Of The Crowd Would Have Known About NKF
<http://onthereddot.com/ian/2007/01/12/the-wisdom-of-the-crowd-would-have-known-about-nkf/>
Wonderings, Musings And Happenings From Ian On Singapore

I think if the knowledge of the people in Singapore with an opinion about NKF had been aggregated, we might have seen some clear flags to indicate maybe an investigation would be warranted.

*** How Did Durai Mislead MOH So Long?
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:69734bf2db610110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Maria Loh Mun Foong, Straits Times

*** Pay Back Damages In 'Flew First Class' Suits
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:3e434bf2db610110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Lau Guan Kim, Straits Times

Judging by the talk in coffee shops and elsewhere, the public experts Mr Durai and NKF to do the decent thing -- repay these three persons and apologise.

*** Why Did SPH And Straits Times Offer To Apologise And Pay Compensation?
<http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2007/01/why-did-sph-and-straits-times-offer-to.html>
Urbanrant

If SPH and Straits Times are invovled in the case, no mainstream media is going to pick on this point and ask the salient questions.

*** Who Are The Real Forum Letter Writers?
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2007/01/who-are-real-forum-letter-writers.html>
My Singapore News

*** Review Of Public Transport Networks
<http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/135272.html>
mollymeek

Oh sorry, maybe the external consultants aren't supposed to be looking at such trivial issues that only peasants concern themselves with.