[MyAppleMenu] Aug 16, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 16 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Grab Your iPod, Turn On, Tune In, And Drop By <http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/08/16/grab_your_ipod_turn_on_tune_in_and_drop_by/>
by John Dyer, Boston Globe
A school project delivers an oral history and walking tour of West Medford's African-American community.

**** I Smell Another OS X Leopard Delay <http://gracefulflavor.net/2007/08/16/i-smell-another-osx-leopard-delay/?from=myapplemenu>
by Graceful Flavor
If I had to guess &mdash; and I am guessing, so readers who like to read only a few sentences then go apeshit on me in the comments might want to pay attentio here &mdash; I think Apple is coming up to a go/no-go decision meeting and they need all the data they can get before they pull the tigger on another delay.

**** iPhone Is A Platform, iTunes Is A Platform: The Apple Strategy <http://blog.supernaturalagency.com/index.php/iphone-is-a-platform-itune-is-a-platform-the-apple-strategy/>
by Supernatural Agency
Apple owns the entire ecosystem: Content creation, content distribution, communciation across all channels.

**** What It Must Be Like To Not Have To Ask Questions <http://blog.hackingcough.com/2007/08/what_it_must_be.htm?from=myapplemenu>
by Hacking Cough
I think a number of people who really want to know the answers to those. It's unlikely that they will come from the mouth of Steve Jobs but that doesn't mean people should stop trying.

**** Apple Confirms That It Is Triggering (Or Unlocking) iPhone Updates Over The Network <http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/08/15/apple-confirms-that-it-is-triggering-or-unlocking-iphone-updates-over-the-network/>
by iPhone Atlas

**** New iMac Tempts A Windows User <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/15/AR2007081501567.html>
by Peter Svensson, Associated Press
The iMac deserves to be a strong contender for any PC user looking to get a new computer.

**** iWeb: Apple's Stillborn Application <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=758>
by Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet
iWeb is tolerable if you want to develop a single site and host it on Mac.com, but that's about it.

**** EA Is Not In The Game <http://www.macuser.com/games/ea_is_not_in_the_game_1.php?lsrc=murss>
by Dan Moren, MacUser
EA's behavior has almost become ridiculous to the point of hilarity. This is how they show their "commitment" to the Mac platform?
See Also:
EA Mac Games Still MIA <http://www.macobserver.com/gamingnews/2007/08/15.1.shtml>, by Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer.

**** C4 Conference Rethinks MacHack <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9121>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

**** Warning To Overseas Cell Travelers <http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/15/warning-to-overseas-cell-travelers/>
by David Pogue, New York Times
It's rip-roaring expensive.

**** Apple Lays AppleWorks To Rest <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9030839&source=rss_topic123>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Apple's venerable consumer application suite AppleWorks, which at one point was the industry's best-selling piece of software, beating even Lotus 1-2-3 on the PC, has finally been laid to rest at the age of 23.
See Also:
RIP AppleWorks <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/08/15/rip-appleworks>, by Charles Jade, Ars Technica. What does it say about Apple that the company includes iLife on every new Mac, but not iWork?
AppleWorks: The Death Of A Great Program <http://lowendmac.com/mail/mb07/0815.html>, by Dan Knight, Low End Mac.

**** Numbers <http://davidweiss.blogspot.com/2007/08/numbers.html>
by David Weiss
I think Apple's work on Numbers underscores that despite the large advances being made in web interfaces, there is still a place for rich client applications. Numbers specifically proves there's opportunity left for innovation in the productivity applications space.

**** First Look: iWeb '08 <http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/firstlooks/fliweb/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jason Cranford Teague, Macworld
Photo management tools, Web 2.0 technologies highlight update.

**** A Love Song For Aperture <http://www.macuser.com/ihnatko/ihnatko_a_love_song_for_apertu.php?lsrc=murss>
by Andy Ihnatko, MacUser
Never forget that a key part of the Mac's spirit is the way that it encourages its users to reach their full creative potential. In an era in which Apple's future is becoming increasingly fed by iTunes, Aperture is a most welcome thing.

**** Eighth iPhone Television Ad Appears Online <http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/eighth-iphone-television-ad-appears-online/>
by Charles Starrett, iLounge

**** Benchmarking In Your Pants <http://furbo.org/2007/08/15/benchmarking-in-your-pants/>
by Craig Hockenberry, furbo.org
Just how fast is the iPhone?

**** Apple iPhone Cost Is High, But She Still Loves It <http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2007/08/15/apple-aapl-iphone-co-t-is-high-but-she-still-loves-it/>
by Sheldon Liber, BloggingStocks

**** Audi Announces iPhone Support <http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9760304-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Kevin Massy, CNET News.com

**** When It Comes To IT, The Army Is Ready To Experiment <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201800362>
by J Nicholas Hoover, InformationWeek
Partners take note: The Army has been invovled with as many as 35 alpha and beta tests at once, all to make sure vendors fit its needs once things hit production.

**** Eclipse, A New Model For Open-Source Innovation <http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9760440-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Matt Asay, CNET News.com
Ecipse may be the most important open-source "project" that people outside the industry, and even some within it, have never heard of. Here's why.

**** How JavaScript Is Slowing Down The Web (And What To Do About It) <http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/how_javascript_is_slowing_down_the_web.php>
by Alex Iskold, Read/Write Web

**** Novell: We Have No Plans To Sue Anyone Over UNIX <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070815-novell-we-have-no-plans-to-sue-anyone-over-unix.html>
by Eric Bangeman, Ars Technica

**** Atom Is Not Better And Users Don't Care <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2007/08/15/atomIsNotBetterAndUsersDon.html>
by Dave Winer, Scripting News

**** Tiny Wind Engines Cool Computers <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6946042.stm>
by BBC News
Minuscule wind engines could help to take computing power to the next level, scientists believe.

**** Driving Home <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2007/08/20/070820po_poem_simic>
by Charles Simic, New Yorker

**** Swimming <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2007/08/20/070820fi_fiction_cooper>
by T Cooper, New Yorker
People say to me, "Didn't you hear anything?," or "Why didn't you stop when you felt somethng hit the bumper?" But I don't know how to answer either question. He was just there with us, alive, on eminute, as we were eating barbecue and watching the Super Bowl on TV at my brother-in-law's house, and then the next minute he was dead&mdash;very dead&mdash;under our car.

**** My Near-Death Experience <http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2007/08/20/070820sh_shouts_simms>
by Paul Simms, New Yorker
They say that your whole life flashes before your eyes when you're about to die, and I'm here to tell you that it's true.

**** Social Political Blogging: Singapore Vs US <http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2007/08/social-politica.html>
by Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart
We are still far from being able to take a step further in encouraging debate and diversity of views in Singapore.

**** Singapore, India And Pakistan <http://rana.typepad.com/weblog/2007/08/who-says-its-no.html>
by Blowin' In The Wind
Who says one can't run with the hares and hunt with the hounds? Look at Singapore landing plum deals in both India and Pakistan.

**** Farmers Hope To Overturn Government's Plans To Stockpile Granite At Lim Chu Kang <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/294375/1/.html>
by Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia
Farmers are worried about the possible impct on their crops, especially those located within 200 metres of the site.

**** Indonesia's Speaker Urges Government To Re-Evaluate DCA With Singapore <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/294376/1/.html>
by Sujadi Siswo, Channel NewsAsia
Indonesia's house speaker Agung Laksono on Wednesday called on his government to re-evaluate the Defence Cooperation Agreement (DCA) signed with neighbour Singapore.

**** FEER Answers Singapore Defamation Suit <http://asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=639&Itemid=31>
by Asia Sentinel

**** Singapore Air To Receive First Superjumbo On Oct 15 <http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070816/3/36h1c.html>
by Reuters
Singapore Airlines, the world's biggest airline by stock market value, said that it would pick up the superjumbo and take it to Singapore to allow crew and ground staff to familiarise itself with the plane before the first flight on Oct 25.

**** Real Estate Stoked In Singapore <http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/08/15/business/sxsing.php>
by Liza Lin and Jean Chua, Bloomberg News
Midrange to low-end home prices in Singapore could rise as much as 50 percent by 2012 after lagging behind gains in luxury apartments, said Kwek Leng Beng, chairman of City Developments, the country's second-largest developer.

**** Expats And The Rising Cost Of Living <http://singaporeandthestuff.blogspot.com/2007/08/expats-and-rising-cost-of-living.html>
by Singapore And The Stuff
The hardware has been set in place, we are now first-world in more ways than one. But the heartware is not installed properly.

**** Visitors From Gulf Boost Singapore Tourism <http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/business/2007/August/business_August296.xml&section=business&col=>
by Khaleej Times

**** We Can't Get What's Ours <http://songb.wordpress.com/2007/08/15/we-cant-get-whats-ours/>
by Think.
Now, if people do not take $700 a month and instead withdraw just $500, they can actually stretch their CPF an extra 8 years.

**** Going To School... In Singapore <http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=85997&paper=67&cat=104>
by Kim Centazzo, Loudoun Connection

**** Esplanade Reaches Out To Young <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_148687.html>
by Adeline Chia, Straits Times

**** How Long, The Arm Of The Law? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/205898.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
Can a suspect be detained without trial in Singapore for crimes he allegedly committed abroad?

**** Section 377A Should Be Repealed - Reputation In Legal And Multinational Community At Stake <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_148639.html>
by Jason Wee Kheng Hoe, Straits Times
Retaining section 377A will just keep this albatross on Singapore's neck forever.

**** ST Forum Is What It Is, Thanks To...? <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/162288.html>
by Mollymeek

**** The Problem With Social Mobility <http://kwayteowman.blogspot.com/2007/08/problem-with-social-mobility.html>
by The Kway Teow Man

**** Uncensored Singapore Lures The Young <http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,22254119-15306,00.html>
by Simon Canning, The Australian
Jennifer Lewis, editor of STOMP, told the X/Media/Lab conference in Melbourne last week that the portal had been able to define its own market in Singapore, in part by allowing readers to supply much of the content.

**** Why Don't Singaporeans Take 'No Eating' Sign Seriously? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,138860,00.html?>
by Andrew Chin, New Paper
The perception: Eating is a small matter.

**** Microfluidics: Like Computer Chips With Plumbing <http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/08/microfluidic-de.html>
by Aaron Rowe, Wired
Microfluidic devices are a lot like computer chips with plumbing. They will likely become an intergral part of all sorts of medical technology &mdash; once all of the tricky physics problems are worked out.

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** 7 Languages <http://www.archive.org/details/CVB2006-01-20sbd>
by Camper Van Beethoven
Click here to listen <http://ia310124.us.archive.org/1/items/CVB2006-01-20sbd/CVB2006-01-20d2t06_vbr.mp3>.