[MyAppleMenu] Apr 30, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Apr 30 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Analyst: Mac To Gain More Market Share <http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2007/04/30.1.shtml>
by Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer

**** Star Wars: Empire At War <http://www.macobserver.com/review/2007/04/30.1.shtml>
by Chris Barylick, Mac Observer
Despite its rough edges, Empire At War is a genuinely fun strategy-based Star Wars title with enough of George Lucas' vision in place to keep fans of both the game genre and film saga happy.

**** A Year With A Mac <http://messiah.blogs.tentonhammer.com/?p=48>
by Messiah @ Ten Ton Hammer
Everything seems easier on the Mac.

**** Reid To Approach Apple And Sony In Fighting Crime <http://www.javno.com/en/world/clanak.php?id=39886>
by Reuters
Home Secretary John Reid wants manufacturers of mobile phones and MP3 players to concentrate as much on anti-crime functions as on other design features.
/Just make sure it doesn't punish the honest customers, please?/

**** Apple Redesigns Support Site <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/04/29/apple-redesigns-support-site/>
by David Chartier, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Next-Generation Toys Read Brain Waves, May Help Kids Focus <http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/games/2007-04-29-mindreadingtoys_N.htm>
by Rachel Konrad, Associated Press
Technology from NeuroSky and other start-ups could make video games more mentally stimulating and realistic. It could even enable players to control video game characters or avatars in virtual worlds with nothing but their thoughts.

**** When Seeing Is Disbelieving <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/29/AR2007042901152.html?nav=rss_nation/science>
by Shankar Vedantam, Washington Post
Bush is not the first president to have convinced himself that something he wanted to believe was, in fact, true.

**** Saved By The (Later) Bell <http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2007/04/29/saved_by_the_later_bell/>
by Lisa Prevost, Boston Globe
Ten school sin Massachusetts are testing a first-in-the-nation initiative to extend learning time. Believe it or not, the students (after initial grumbling) seem to like it, and so do their parents. Shouldn't every school rethink its schedule?

**** Young, Gifted, And Not Getting Into Harvard <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/29Rparenting.html?ex=1335499200&en=dfe5fd94e391e8d7&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Michael Winerip, New York Times
I came to understand that my own focus on Harvard was a matter of not sophistication but narrowness. I grew up in an unworldly blue-collar enviornment,. Getting perfect grades and attending an elite colleage was one of the few ways up I could see.

**** NSP Press Release - Labour Day Message 2007 <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2007/04/nsp-press-release-labour-day-message.html>
by Singapore Alternatives
The National Solidarity Party (NSP) stands in solidarity with the workers in Singapore. We are strongly of the view that each and every Singapore workers has contributed tremendously and significantly to the building of this nation. We lament however the lack of sincere treatment by the PAP government towards the hands which toiled to keep Singapore afloat.

**** Continue To Work Together As One Team: PM's May Day Message <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/273404/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong, in his May Day message, has urged Singaporeans to work together as a team.
Mr Lee added that one of his government's top priorities is to equip all workers for new jobs emerging in the country's economy.

**** Can Indonesia Bring Back Corruptors From Singapore? <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=259510>
by Bernama
The extraditio deal received mixed reactions at home &mdash; optimism and pessimism &mdash; on its effectiveness to bring back the money of the state stashed away somewhere in Singapore, Indonesia's Antara news agency reported.

**** Thai Information Minister Says Singapore's Temasek Should Not Be Prosecuted <http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/04/30/business/AS-FIN-Singapore-Thailand-Temasek.php>
by Associated Press
The Thai government does not want Singapore's Temasek Holdings to be prosecuted even if it broke Thailand's foreign ownership laws when it bought a stake in Shin Corp., the telecom company previously controled by the former Thai prime minister's family, a senior Thai official said Monday.
Thai information &amp; communications technology minister Sittichai Pokaiudom's comments in an interview with Dow Jones Newswires indicate that the divisive deal will be resolved in a way that preserves Thailand's foreign investment reputation and keeps one of Temasek Holdings Pte Ltd.'s biggest investments in the region largely intact.

**** Human Capital <http://tonypua.blogspot.com/2007/04/human-capital.html>
by Tony Pua, Philosophy Politicis Economics
How is it even possible for a country with a sheer lack of resources and land mass to do so well? How did a country that was barely half our economic size in the early 1980s catch up within such a short period of time?
Through a simple exercise of elimination, it all boils down to a simple single factor &mdash; human capital.

**** Extradition And Eradication <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20070430.F05&irec=4>
by William A Sullivan, Jakarta Post
It will be very instructive to see whether or not, in fact, an extradition treaty with Singapore makes any discernible difference to the progress of the current Indonesian government (or, perhaps more correctly, the lack thereof) in eradicating corruption in Indonesia.

**** Singapore Q1 Jobless Rate Jumps Unexpectedly <http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070430/3/313e9.html>
by Reuters
Singapore's unemployment rate rose unexpectedly in the first quarter to the highest level in more than a year as more people entered the job market, preliminary government data showed on Monday.
Analysts said that the increase in the jobless rate, to a seasonally adjusted 2.9 percent, was not a big concern because Singapore's economy is still adding plenty of new jobs.

**** Sexism Watch #4: The Singapore Government Thinks Mothers Just Need To "Adjust To Lower Jobs With Lower Pay" <http://www.toomanythoughts.org/blog/2007/04/sexism-watch-4-singapore-government.html>
by Tym Blogs Too!
A working mother is not innately unable (as the above statement would suggest) to do her job at the same level as she used to.

**** Fantastic Support For CSJ's May Day Walk <http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2007/04/fantastic-support-for-csjs-may-day-walk.html>
by Singapore Election Watch
My conclusion can be none other than that he is just like all of us here who are disgusted with the PAP. However, unlike us he has enough conviction to sacrifice a comfortable future to fulfill our dream of a fully democratic which has a level field for all political parties.

**** Thoughts On Optimisim And Pessimism <http://pitstopcafe.blogspot.com/2007/04/thoughts-on-optimisim-and-pessimism.html>
by Pitstop Blog
My point is mainly trying to figure out if using the formula actually helps to paint a realistic picture. Is the intention fo the article just to grab the readers' attention? I do not know.
/I've read the same article in Sunday Times, and my impression is that the reporters are really lazy is all they can do to 'guess' a hawker's revenue is to just sit around and count plates for only an hour./

**** Island Sits In An Ocean Of Economic Turbulence <http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/business/island-sits-in-an-ocean-of-economic-turbulence/2007/04/29/1177787972669.html>
by Eric Ellis, Bisbane Times
Yet more instability. What an area to do business.

**** High Averages Are Not Enough <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/185913.asp>
by Sheralyn Tay, Today
Singapore must measure itself against other countries' peaks: Tharman.

**** Concept Of Buses Complementing Trains Not A Good One - Commuters Must Be Given A Choice <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:8d4870fcb1732110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Toh Teng Mok, Straits Times
<The concept of buses complementing trains> denies those who rely on public transport a choice and, as a result, compels most train commuters to waste time and spend more money on transfers.

**** Library Etiquette: User Education The Best Way <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:c124d0cb87d32110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Amy Gay, National Library Board, Straits Times
We believe education is more effective than punitive measures to manage customer behaviour in the long run.

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** Butterfly Nets <http://www.bishopallen.com/>
by Bishop Allen
Click here to listen <http://www.bishopallen.com/music/ButterflyNets.mp3>.