[MyAppleMenu] Apr 27, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Apr 27 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Apps You Can't Live Without <http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/04/apps_you_cant_live_without.html>
by Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Mac DeveCenter Blog
A brand-new Mac, plus those five additions, becomes a usable workspace for me.

**** How Well Is Apple Managing The Backdating Scandal? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2007/04/how_well_is_app.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
by Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek
Apple should have come clean about Jobs involvement earlier, rather than let it leak out in dribs and drabs &mdash; and SEC complaints.

**** Apple Confirms iTunes Films For Europe This Year <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17879>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Apple plans to offer films for sale through iTunes before the end of the year, a senior Apple executive has claimed.
/Hello, Apple? Singapore? Not even iTunes music yet.../

**** Apple Needs To Find A Finder Replacement <http://svenontech.com/2007/04/26/apple-needs-to-find-a-finder-replacement/>
by Sven Rafferty, SvenOnTech
As screens become larger and resolution independence becomes a standard, Finder will just become more and more archaic.

**** Is Apple Obligated To Pass On Commodity Savings? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=4931?tag=fdc1>
by Larry Dignan, ZDNet
Apple lowers prices once in a while, but for the most part it doesn't pass along savings to customers.

**** The World's Apple's Oyster <http://www.thestreet.com/_dm/newsanalysis/techgames/10353181.html>
by Priya Ganapati, TheStreet.com

**** Dot Mac Dead? <http://www.personalbee.com/227/12867243>
by Alan Graham, Personal Bee
I'm seriously getting fed up with the delays and obvious omissions from Apple's online strategy, and I tend to believe that if the iPhone has been responsible for delays in OS X Leopard... where are Apple .Mac/iLife priorities?

**** Speculation: Cheap Computers Coming From Apple
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Christopher Brennan <http://allpointsnorth.co.uk/2007/04/26/im-no-accountant-but/> reads between the lines of Apple, and speculates that something cheap is coming from Apple this upcoming quarter.
We know it's not the iPhone, and it's probably not iPods. MacBook Nano?
Dang, looks like I will need to postphone my computer purchase again in case Apple breaks my heart.

**** Why Switch From PC To Mac <http://www.switchingtomac.com/wp/why-switch-from-pc-to-mac/>
by Switching To Mac

**** MacBook Pro Health Report, November Through April <http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2007/04/macbook_pro_hea.html>
by Tom Yager, InfoWorld
The MacBook Pro has become the first notebook for which I carry with its charger no matter where I am.

**** The iPod Has Left The Trade Show <http://blog.clickz.com/070426-133355.html>
by Rebecca Lieb, ClickZ
A small but noticeable trend in the ad:tech expo hall is visble lack of "win an iPod" signs at vendor booths.
/Will we see "win an iPhone" soon?/

**** Good Bye Lenovo. Hello Mac <http://sixkidsandafulltimejob.blogspot.com/2007/04/good-bye-lenovo-hello-mac.html>
by Michael Eisenberg, Six Kids And A Full Time Job
Apple has certainly earned its brand by making great products.

**** Steve Jobs, Saved By The Rising Stock <http://gigaom.com/2007/04/26/apple-jobs-1q-2007-earnings/>
by Kevin Kelleher, GigaOM
I'm troubled by the very real possibility he participated in options fraud and is being treated as above the law.
An open, clean investigation would prevent this: If Jobs is innocent, the debate is over. If not, he makes amends while shareholder support will keep him as CEO. Either way, this image of Steve Jobs as above the law, a toxic one for the stock market, would go away.

**** The End Of "Desktop Vs. Web Apps" <http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=3406>
by Brent Simmons, Inessential.com
Most folks are going to make app-by-app decisions, and developers are going to try a whole bunch of different approaches.

**** Bad Days Ahead For FM Transmission <http://ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/bad-days-ahead-for-fm-transmission/>
by Jeremy Horwitz, iLounge

by Christopher Breen, Playlist
It's simply a matter of doing it right. Can you think of a company more qualified than Apple to take on the job?
/My guess is that Apple cannot find a suitable business model in providing subscription service. Customers win because they get their music. Labels win because they get their recurring income based on roughly the same pool of music. Apple loses because of the bandwidth cost./
/It seems to me offering subscription service only works if the company is not that as popular as iTunes./
/But, of course, never say never. :-)/

**** New Leopard iChat Feature Surfaces <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/26/new.leopard.ichat.feature/>
by MacNN
"The new version of iChat in Leopard opens up these capabilities to other applications on the system, allowing those applications to provide content through an iChat session."

**** The Phone, Email, Blog Interview Flap <http://www.wordyard.com/2007/04/26/phone-interviews/>
by Scott Rosenberg, Wordyard
This week saw a fascinating dustup as some of the blogosphere's notables tussled with some journalists over how to conduct an interview.

**** Simpler Programming For Multicore Computers <http://technologyreview.com/Infotech/18597/>
by Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review
A new programming language could make it easier to write software for multicore machines.

**** Sun Eyes A JavaScript Alternative To AJAX <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/04/26/HNflair_1.html>
by Paul Krill, InfoWorld
Company hopes to release an early version of Project Flair, a self-supporting programming kernel meant to streamline development and collaboration, later this year.

**** Where No-Frills Fast Food (The Real Thing) Was Born <http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/04/27/travel/escapes/27trip_ready.html?ex=1335326400&en=252db4f2496d8f22&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink>
by Joel Keller, New York Times
New Jersey may be the diner capital of the world, but Rhode Island is the diner's birthplace.

**** All This Fretting About Kids' TV Is A Real Turnoff <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/04/27/DDG8IPFERH1.DTL>
by Tim Goodman, San Francisco Chronicle
Since this is TV-Turnoff Week &mdash; one of the most reactionary, ill-advised movements in memory &mdash; now is the perfect time to better understand the hot-button issue of kids and television. "Teletubbies," for many people, was a flash point.

**** The New Book Burning <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/art-winslow/the-new-book-burning_b_46820.html>
by Art Winslow, Huffington Post
In the new book burning we don't burn books, we burn discussion of them instead. I am referring to the ongoing collapse of book review sections at American newspapers, which has accelerated in recent months, an intellectual brownout in progress that is beginning to look like a rolling blackout instead.

**** High Infidelity <http://nymag.com/news/features/2007/sexandlove/30914/>
by Caroline Leavitt, New York Magazine
Me, my ex, his siter, her ex, and his shrink. A true story about lies, in which no one escapes unscathed.

**** The Bearable Lightness Of Being <http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110009990>
by Taylor Dinerman, Wall Street Journal
Scientific heavyweight Stephen Hawking experiences weightlessness.

**** Up, Up And... Never Mind <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/26/fashion/26pilot.html?ex=1335240000&en=9937adab8d7c78ca&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Matthew L. Wald, New York Times
Plenty of people still go to school hoping for a job at the airlines flying the big jets, but experts fear that the hobbyist, who flies as an alternative to golf or boating, or perhaps to take the family 100 miles to a beach or maybe just an obscure restaurant, is disappearing.

**** Dymaxion Surprise <http://askpang.typepad.com/relevant_history/2007/04/dymaxion_surpri.html>
by Relevant History
Finally, it hit me: this is a gigantic Dymaxion Map &mdash; the map project developed by Buckminster Fuller in the early 1940s!
/Did you know there is a huge map on the floors of Suntec?/

**** One Is Not Born A Bigot But Becomes A Bigot <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/152968.html>
by Mollymeek
If we insist that gays are born gay and have equal rights as heterosexuals, aren't we falling into the trap of agreeing that gays only have equal rights subject to the precondition that homosexuality is biological and in-born.

**** Calculators To Be Allowed For Primary 5 &amp; 6 Maths Exams <http://news.asiaone.com.sg/a1news/20070427_story19_1.html>
by AsiaOne
Primary 5 and 6 students will be allowed to use calculators for their maths exams, as art of the revised syllabuses to enhance the teaching and learning of the subject at the primary level.

**** Airline Food Tasting - Jet Airways <http://kormmandos.blogspot.com/2007/04/airline-food-tasting-jet-airways.html>
by Blog By Pixels

**** Singapore Politician Plans May Day Protest Walk Across Nation <http://nationmultimedia.com/worldhotnews/read.php?newsid=30032790>
by AFP
A Singapore opposition politician will attempt a two-day walk across the island nation to draw attention to the plight of Singaporean workers on May Day, a fellow activist said Thursday.
Chee Siok Chin told AFP that she and her brother, Chee Soon Juan, would attempt the 150-kilometre journey beginning Sunday. They aim to finish by Tuesday, international labour day or May Day.

**** Are Homosexuals Truly Born Gay? <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:43a98fc76be22110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Agnes Chai Shiang Jen, Straits Times
With respect to possibly decriminalising homosexual behaviour in the upcoming penal code review, I urge the government to refrain from proceeding hastily in view of inconclusive findings on 'homosexual genes'.
/I think Ms Agnes Chai is terribly wrong. After all, precisely because we have no evidence that whether homosexual is in-built or not, we cannot discriminate and criminialise homosexual behavior./
/There is also no scientific evidence on the existence of god(s). Should we ban religions too? There is also no genes that make one prefer to wear red dress verus green dress. But, hey, we all know that people don't look good in green. Maybe we should ban wearing green dresses too?/
/On the record, I am opposed to criminialisation of homosexual behaviour, no matter if this is in-built or learnt behaviour./

**** Go For One Train And Many Bus Companies <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:fbc98fc76be22110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Paul Chan Poh Hoi, Straits Times
Hong Kong achieves fairly high ridership in public transport with eight independent bus and ferry companies and one MTR train operator. Shouldn't Singapore do likewise?
/There's no such thing as "route rationalisation" in Hong Kong either./

**** Censorship: What's The Way Forward? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/185404.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
Engage Singaporeans, let conrarian views find their voice and challenge the views of those who have different accounts.

**** No O-Level Cert? Civil Service Says Yes To ESS <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/185460.asp>
by Jasmine Yin, Today
The biggest employer in Singapore is opening its doors to people who did not finish secondary school, as long as they pass a skills training and certification scheme conducted by the Workforce Development Agency.

**** Lee Kuan Yew On Emigration <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/04/lee-kuan-yew-on-emigration.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
Lee Kuan Yew is fond of telling stories. Most of them, however, are left incomplete.

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** New York City Heat <http://www.deadheartbloom.com/html/music.htm?>
by Dead Heart Bloom
Click here to listen <http://www.deadheartbloom.com/mp3/04_New_York_City_Heat.mp3>.