[MyAppleMenu] Apr 22, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Apr 22 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Apple's Steve Jobs Likely To Avoid Criminal Charges In Options Probe <http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_5722967?source=rss&nclick_check=1>
by Howard Mintz and troy Wolverton, San Jose Mercury News
A Mercury News examination of a massive 2001 stock-options grant to Jobs that was backdated through bogus documentation &mdash; the central focus of the federal probe &mdash; shows there is scant evidence, if any, to support criminal charges against the Silicon Valley icon.

**** Hot Off The Matasano SMS Queue: CanSee MacBook Challenge Won <http://www.matasano.com/log/806/hot-off-the-matasano-sms-queue-cansec-macbook-challenge-won/>
by Thomas Ptacek, Matasano Chargen
Turn off Java.

**** Media 2.0 <http://curry.podshow.com/?p=613>
by Adam Curry
Our strategy has always been the investment in people who create content.

**** Get An Earful Of Mac News With These 14 Podcasts <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/04/21/get-an-earful-of-mac-news-with-these-14-podcasts>
by Iljitsch van Beijnum, Ars Technica

**** Adult Entertainment? <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/04/22/svgames22.xml>
by Peter Lyle, Telegraph
Shoot 'em ups, death-defying racing games and battles with sub-tolkien monsters were once the preserve of 15-year-old schoolboys. But video game designers have found a surprising new market.

**** The Iron Archives <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/books/review/Donadio.t.html?ref=books>
by Rachel Donadio, New York Times
Since the end of the cold war, historians have mined the Russian archives for insights into the nature of the Soviet empire and its global reach. But after a golden age in the early 1990s, archival access eroded.

**** Singapore Must Remain Cosmopolitan To Survive: MM Lee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/271837/1/.html>
by Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia
Singapore has to be as cosmopolitan as other world class cities like New York and London, for its own survival and success.
Minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew told a gathering of Young PAP members, Singapore society will continue to synthesise, as more immigrants and foreigners settle in the republic.

**** Time To Move Up The Ladder <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/time-to-move-up-the-ladder.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
It seems that we are still stuck in the 1960s mode of thinking today, i.e. the best way to deal with political problems is by providing people with jobs and housing.

**** Politics Of A Different Hue <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/columnists/2007/4/21/insightdownsouth/17493154&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
With the lure of super-remuneration, politics in Singapore may become a powerful magnet for people who can't make it in business to take a crack at standing for office.
It could attract smart, crafty people with little interest or passion in public service to try their luck in politics, instead of investing in an entreprenuerial value.

**** Singapore Day In New York
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Madaboutwatches <http://madaboutwatches.blogspot.com/2007/04/singapore-day-central-park.html>: Someone on stage quipped "We brought the people from Singapore, we brought the food from Singapore and we even brought the weather from Singapore." It was a /hot/ day.
Sanctuary For The Senses <http://wildcatlancer.blogspot.com/2007/04/playground-and-jungle.html>: I didn't have a chance to try any of the foods just simply because the queues were simply too long, but rather the main value of the event was just meeting up with alot of familiar/old/vague faces.
Quixotism <http://sappworld.blogspot.com/2007/04/morning-comes-around-and-i.html>: Singapore Day started in a manner that reminded me of National Day. It opened with dancers moving to the beat of "There was a time when people said that Singapore wouldn't make it... but we did!"
An Unusual Day <http://www.unusualday.com/2007/04/day-21-singapore-in-new-york-brilliant.html>: Can't say enough of how well the government of Singapore has done to make Singaporeans abroad feel connected, via their craving for their unique street food.
More pictures: Marisa's Blog <http://marisaanddave.blogspot.com/2007/04/singaporean-food-fest.html>, New York Towkay <http://newyorktowkay.blogspot.com/2007/04/singapore-day-2007.html>.

**** Bring Your Own Bag Day <http://singapore.metblogs.com/archives/2007/04/bring_your_own_bag_day.phtml>
by Metroblogging Singapore
As an Earth Day tribute, what better way to start my foray at Metblogs than to ponder at Singapore's attempt to minimise waste over the years.

**** Film Ban Strange, Says Said Zahari <http://singaporerebel.blogspot.com/2007/04/film-ban-strange-says-said-zahari.html>
by Wong Yeen Fern, Malaysiakini
Said, who is the former editor-in-chief of Utusan Melayu, said the main reason could be that Singapore does not want its younger generation to know the political history of the state during the 50s and 60s.
"The (Singapore) government is afraid that more and more people will know about the nation's history," he added when contacted today.

**** MR4 Benchmark - Is Retaining Talents In The Civil Service The Only Reason? <http://www.singaporeangle.com/2007/04/mr4_benchmark_is_retaining_tal.html>
by Singapore Angle
This increment has a greater impact on the party than it'll have on Singapore.