[MyAppleMenu] Apr 11, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Apr 11 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Apple Catches The Eye Of Corporates <http://www.itweek.co.uk/itweek/comment/2187493/apple-catches-eye-corporates>
by Martin Veitch, IT Week
There are still sizeable obstalces before Apple can take on business in a way at all comparable to Microsoft. But Apple in 2007 is back in business or at least at the edge of it.

**** iPod Untouchable, But Apple Laptops Slip <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17716>
by Karen Haslam, Macworld UK
Market figures show iPod is the only MP3 player, but Apple laptops slip off the chart.

**** Apple TV Commercial Follow-Up <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/04/11/appletv-commercial-follow-up/>
by Erica Sadun, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Eagle-eyed TUAW reader Klemens noticed that the Apple TV in the commercial had only a power-cord and no connections to a TV.
Here are a few other things you may (or may not) have noticed.

**** MGM Flicks Arrive On Apple's iTunes Store <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/04/11/mgm_flicks_arrive_on_apples_itunes_store.html>
by AppleInsider
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (MGM) and Apple announced Wednesday that MGM is now offering titles from its catalog of feature films for purchases and download on the iTunes Store.

**** Clock Is Ticking On Apple's Boot Camp Beta <http://news.com.com/Clock+is+ticking+on+Apples+Boot+Camp+beta/2100-1012_3-6174887.html?tag=nefd.lede>
by Ina Fried, CNET News.com
The software is licensed only until Apple comes out with a commercial release of Boot Camp, or until September 30, whichever comes first.
The rub is that Apple has not said whether it will issue a final version of Boot Camp for Tiger users, though there have been rumors that Apple will offer a paid Tiger version of Boot Camp.

**** HD Video Podcasts Come To iTunes &mdash; And Apple TV <http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9706878-1.html>
by John Falcone, CNET Crave
/The Washington Post/ announced today that its online HD video podcast&mdash;which is shot in 720p high-definition&mdash;will now be available through iTunes.

**** Behind The Scenes: Why Apple's Customer Base Is So Loyal And Enthusiastic <http://www.blackfriarsinc.com/blog/2007/04/behind-scenes-why-apples-customerbase>
by Blackfriars' Marketing
Apple simply has a large group of /very satisfied/ customers &mdash; and that's the secret ingredient left out of nearly every analysis or op-ed piece that mentions these "zealots."

**** Apple TV Gets Some Airtime <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/04/atv_tvad/index.php>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld
I think it's a pretty effective ad, but then again, it pretty much mirrors what I was going to suggest. (No, really!)

**** Upgrading Ourselves Towards Obsolescence <http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=5706>
by James Massola, On Line Opinion
We as a society need to stop and think about all the landfills and waste dumps which are soon to hold our broken-down electronic paraphernalia.

**** Can An iPod Bring Down Your Company? <http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130577-c,techindustrytrends/article.html>
by Cara Garretson, Network World
IT managers need to treat these devices like any other removable media.

**** Some Facts About AAC <http://daringfireball.net/2007/04/some_facts_about_aac>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
AAC is not "unique" to Apple. It's not even controlled or invented by Apple, or any other single company.
See Also: John Gruber <http://daringfireball.net/2007/04/wee_bit_more_on_aac>, Daring Fireball: A Wee Bit More On AAC, Ogg, and MP3.

**** By Any Other Name: Please, Apple Inc. &mdash; Don't Forget About The Computer <http://www.macworld.com/2007/04/opinion/mayspotlight/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Andy Ihnatko, Macworld
Companies often fail because they forget who they are.

**** SpamSweep 1.5: Spam Catcher Is Simple To Use But Not Configurable <http://www.macworld.com/2007/04/reviews/spamsweep15/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
SpamSweep 1.5.3 is a reasonable choice if you prefer an effective filter that doesn't require much in the way of setup or maintenance. It's not a good choice, however, if you want to get into the guts of your spam utility to configure its lists and filters.

**** Hands On: Parallels Desktop For Mac 2.5 'A Must Have' <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9016118&source=rss_topic123>
by Scot Finnie, Computerworld
It's the best tool for running Windows on Intel Macs.

**** Five Ways To Mark Up The Web <http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/04/10/5-ways-to-mark-up-the-web/>
by Nick Gonzalez, Tech Crunch
The idea of web page annotation didn't die with Third Voice. New services, each with unique features, have carried on.

**** The Perfect Bacon Sandwich Decoded: Crisp And Crunchy <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/world/europe/11bacon.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Alan Cowell, New York Times
Should it be slithery or scrunchy, glutinous or grilled? The answer, British scientists say, may be divined by a formula: N = C + {fb(cm) . fb(tc)} + fb(Ts) + fc. ta.

**** Iraq: Why The Media Failed <http://www.salon.com/opinion/kamiya/2007/04/10/media_failure/index_np.html>
by Gary Kamiya, Salon
Afraid to challenge America's leaders or conventional wisdom about the Middle East, a toothless press collapsed.

**** Is A Singpaore Sling At Raffles A Cliche? <http://www.dancingmango.com/blog/2007/04/11/is-a-singapore-sling-at-raffles-a-cliche/>
by Dancingmango
I'm older and wiser and I hit the Long Bar in Raffles and like almost everyone else, I do the tourist thing and order the Sling. And the experience was appropriate to my circumstances.

**** Of Bonuses And GDP <http://atlasofmymind.blogspot.com/2007/04/of-bonuses-and-gdp.html>
by No Name Necessary
What I'm questioning is this blind following of quantitative economic growth.

**** Financial Sacrifice In Public Service Needed: PM Lee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/269765/1/.html>
by Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia
Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong says he agrees with some members of parliament that as leaders of Singapore, financial sacrifice is necessary.
Still, Mr Lee feels that a leader's pay must not be too far from what someone with similar ability is paid. Otherwise, the system will not work.

**** PM Lee's Huge Five-Year Sacrifice <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/151550.html>
by Mollymeek
But what we do know is that PM Lee is 55 this year. And we know what happens when ministers turn 55.
See Also: Associated Press <http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/04/11/asia/AS-POL-Singapore-Prime-Minister-Salary.php>: Singapore prime minister will donate controversial pay increase to charity.

**** Are We Being Heard? <http://www.mrbiao.com/blog/are-we-being-heard.html>
by This Lush Garden Within
Can the government for once respect Singaporeans' opinions against the increment?

**** 12% Of Land Acquired Yet To Be Developed: Jayakumar <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/269701/1/.html>
by Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia
Land acquisition is not done without thought, and currently only 12 percent of land acquired have yet to be redeveloped.
Deputy prime minister and law minister S Jayakumar assured MPs that proposals to acquire land for development are considered carefully and must be submitted to the cabinet for approval.

**** Everything Counts <http://tankokseng.blogspot.com/2007/04/everything-counts.html>
by Tan Kok Seng, Son Of Singapore
Sometimes around midnight, taking long slow drives by yourself down a sodium-lit Shenton Way just for the hell of it, looking up to see some office windows still burning bright, wondering to yourself what everyone's working so hard for, these days.

**** Why Now?: Good Time <http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,127234,00.html>
by Woon Wui Tek, New Paper
Now here's a question that we should pose: if this is not the best time for unveiling the pay hike, when would be a good one?
(Those who reply 'Never', may want to stop reading.)

**** Here's How To Improve Transport System <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/182537.asp>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today
Public transport should be nationalised, whereby a central body plans bus routes and tenders them out to private operators.
These were some of the views that surfaced yesterday as some 60 stakeholders &mdash; including transport operators, academics and taxi-drivers &mdash; met with the authorities at the first focus group held amid an ongoing review of hte public transport system.
/My view: This is an excellent idea that I agree with. There are some business &mdash; and public transport is one of them &mdash; that may not make sense to have free and totally open competition in Singapore. However, we must be careful what parts of the business should be awarded to companies to hold monopoly position or be performed by the government, and what parts of the business should be open for free competititon./

**** Singapore PM's Salary Stuns White House Official <http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070410/pl_afp/ussingaporegovernment_070410224859>
by AFP
A senior White House official on Tuesday admitted he was floored by the news that Singapore's prime minister earned five times more than US president George W. Bush.
"I'm going to emigrate and run for office in Singapore," the official said on condition he be identified only as "a senior administration official who sits in disbelief after reading that story."
See Also: This Lush Garden Within <http://www.mrbiao.com/blog/singapore-pms-salary-stuns-white-house-official.html>: It is no wonder that many other countries simply hate us, when our leaders make <scorching> remarks like this.

**** Ikea To Start Charging Customers For Plastic Bags <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:f6593b4fcacd1110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Tania Tan, Straits Times
Homeware store Ikea will become the first retailer in Singapore to charge for plastic bags in a bid to reduce waste.
To make sure the company is not accused of profiteering, proceeds from the sale of the bags will be donated to the World Wide Fund for Nature to fund conservation efforts in Indonesia.

**** A Question Of Motivation <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/182530.asp>
by Lee U-Wen, Today
Have ministers undermined their moral authority by giving themselves such large pay increases?
This was the line of questioning advanced by at least three MPs.

**** Why The GDP Link? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/182533.asp>
by Derrick A Paulo, Today
Few would probably take issue with the fact that a minister's pay &mdash; in fact anybody's pay &mdash; should be linked to his performance. But when his pay packet is also tied to Singapore's economic performance &mdash; the higher the gross domestic product (GDP), the bigger the bonus &mdash; even some ruling party MPs question the wisdom of such a link.

**** Continuing The Justification... <http://www.mrbiao.com/blog/continuing-the-justification.html>
by This Lush Garden Within
Why does a ministerial payrise require weeks and weeks of non-stop, daily dose of defense and justification from ministers? Is it that Singaporeans are too stupid to understand the important of an increment, or is it the opposite &mdash; that Singaporeans are no longer as guillible as before?

**** Singapore's Economy Was Surprisingly Strong In The First Quarter <http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/10/news/singecon.php>
by Reuters
Singapore's economy was surprisingly strong in the first quarter, slowing only marginally from the previous quarter as domestic activity offset weaker exports, prompting the central bank to keep its moderately tight policy.

**** Pay And Pay <http://charissaishere.blogspot.com/2007/04/pay-and-pay.html>
by A Little Fish Finding Her Way In The World
You see ladies and gentlement, this is the art of wayang.

**** On Abstraction <http://xenoboysg.blogspot.com/2007/04/on-abstraction.html>
by A Xeno Boy In Sg
There is a breakdown when the representatives start to represent the party they belong to. Rather than act as the conduit to represent the citizens, they end up representing the party.
/My view: I don't think this is how the 'system' works. We elect party, not individuals./

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** Don't Die Before Your Day <http://www.arrogants.com/songs.html>
by The Arrogants
Click here to listen <http://www.arrogants.com/sounds/arrogants_bye_09_dontdiebeforeyourday.mp3>.