[MyAppleMenu] Apr 8, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Apr 8 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Another Convert To The Cut Of iPod <http://www.salisburypost.com/opinion/290716579405109.php>
by Elizabeth Cook, Salisbury Post
Yes, the iPod is for every age and worth every penny. It can even be a time machine.

**** Why Apple Wants Freedom To Cost A Little Bit More <http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,2052346,00.html>
by John Naughton, The Observer
By bundling the lock-in freedom with something else (higher fidelity) Apple might obscure the fact that it is charging a premium for lock-in-free music.

**** Steve Jobs Is Whispering, 'Buy A New 80GB iPod...' <http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/reviews/chi-0704060290apr08,1,2592698.story?coll=chi-technologyreviews-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true>
by Mark Caro, Chiacgo Tribune
I called and e-mailed two different press reps at Apple last week asking the typical life expectancy of an iPod hard drive.
No response.

**** IRCC Embraces iPods As Learning Tools <http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/article/0,2545,TCP_16736_5471210,00.html>
by Charlie Reed, TCPalm
iPods are more than just a gadget to listen to music or watch a movie. At Indian River Community College, Apple's digital media player can help you get a degree.

**** Everyone I Knew
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Miranda July <http://noonebelongsheremorethanyou.com/>: Ok, here I go, I'm going to make this whole Website right now on this dry-erase board.
(Yes, I've just watched /You And Me And Everyone We Know/ <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0415978/>, so it was a pleasant surprise for me to have stumbled on this interesting web site.)

**** Apple's Worst Product <http://gregmaletic.wordpress.com/2007/04/07/apples-worst-product/>
by Greg Maletic
It took a phone call, a trip to System Preferences, and about three minutes to figure out how to use it. It's a case of Apple putting up a ridiculous barrier to Windows users learning the Mac, and it's as sily &mdash; though more confounding - than their refusal to put a second button on their laptops.
/My view: I do not want Apple to put a second mouse button on their laptop. I've used many Windows laptop, and every single one of them is a failure, in my opinion, in this department. I only have one thumb to click, and I don't want to have to move or strain my thumb to select either the left button or the right button./

**** Apple's Role In Microsoft's Downfall <http://gracefulflavor.net/2007/04/07/apples-role-in-microsofts-downfall/>
by Graceful Flavor
Apple made the platform the nucleus while every other OEM couldn't &mdash; because they didn't own the platform.

**** Is Microsoft Dead? Feh. <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2007/04/07/isMicrosoftDeadFeh.html>
by Dave Winer, Scripting News
What's happening with MS is not death, but being pulled back to earth by gravity.

**** Note To Content Owners: DRM Doesn't Work <http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/96>
by Mark Shuttleworth
There are some ideas that are broken, but attractive enough to some people that they are doomed to be tried again and again.
DRM is one of them.

**** Is Copyright Violation Stealing? <http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2007/04/is_copyright_vi.html>
by Scott Adams, Dilbert Blog
When you violate a copyright, you take something valuable from the copyright owner that he can't get back. You take his right to control where his creation is viewed and how. It might be your opinion that the "free publicity" you provide outweighs the loss &mdash; and you might be right &mdash; but you've taken from the creator the right to make the publicity-versus-overexposure decision himself.

**** Pearls Before Breakfast <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html>
by Gene Weingarten, Washington Post
Can one of the nation's great musicians cut through the fog of a D.C. rush hour? Let's find out.

**** Pass The Excuses, Please <http://diodati.omniscientx.com/2007/04/08/pass-the-excuses-please/>
by E Pur Si Mouve
Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I think half of all this is an excuse for the Singapore censors to grub at the online world.

**** A Durian Is A Durian Is A Durian
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
You can't really buy durians anymore in Singapore if you don't own a car. You cannot bring it onto MRT trains or public buses, and you probably cannot bring it onto many taxis. Therefore, you're really reduced to buying those packaged stuff from your local supermarket within walking distance...
But, what if you can remove the smell <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/08/world/asia/08durian.html?ref=dining> (or odour, depending on your point of view) from the king of fruit? Will it still taste as good?
(Disclaimer: I don't like to eat durians.)

**** Net Over E-News Sites <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/columnists/2007/4/7/insightdownsouth/17369665&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
With online newspapers and broadcasting becoming a regular global feature, Singapore may soon have laws that could require anyone operating an internet newspaper to have a license.
It will, however, not be done under censorship laws, but to ensure fair market competition between the traditional print and broadcast industry and the new media.

**** We Only Like Talents That Earn A Lot
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
One possible reason why Lee Hsien Loong feels that he can't attract enough "talent" to join his government is because of his lack of leadership skills in attracting good followers.
Yet, another possibility is that PAP believes that only people who can earn a lot of money are talented. If you are not earning millions of dollars annually in your job, don't even think of joining Lee's government.

**** The First Tier Of The First World: Beyond The Bottom Line <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/04/06/the-first-tier-of-the-first-world-beyond-the-bottom-line/>
by Leong Sze Hian and Choo Zheng Xi, theonlinecitizen
The eroding ideals of egalitarianism are reflected in the ever increasing Gini coefficient, the socio-economic right to have a house over your head is being undermined by increasingly common foreclosures, and the ever increasing ex-offenders' population may, in a sense, be putting paid to the rhetoric of a 'kindler, gentler Singapore'.

**** Wet Markets Can Help Community Bonding: HDB Residents <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/269065/1/.html>
by Valarie Tan, Channel NewsAsia
Build more wet markets if you want better community bonding: residents in the eastern part of Singapore made this call at a feedback session in Tampines on Saturday.