[MyAppleMenu] Apr 6, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Apr 6 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** A Disturbing Trend At The NY Auto Show <http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/a-disturbing-trend-at-the-ny-auto-show-250178.php>
by Matt Buchanan, Gizmodo
All they give you for the iPod is the cable. No protected pocket, pouch, stand, or any way to lock down your precious.

**** Will Macs Take On The Enterprise? <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2111689,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03079TX1K0000585>
by Tim Bajarin, PC Magazine
I do think that the Mac's new ability to run Windows as well as OS X has to be viewed as a potential disruptive force within IT departments. At the very least, it should get Apple broader attention within traditional Windows-only IT operations.

**** Apple's Golden Era: Over And Out <http://www.watchmojo.com/web/blog/?p=1420>
by HipMojo.com
The shield has been broken. Apple is on the descent.

**** Apple: No, You Can't Have Your Data Back, We're Keeping It <http://consumerist.com/consumer/apple/apple-no-you-cant-have-your-data-back-were-keeping-it-249967.php>
by Consumerist
If Apple can't fix the hard drive and restore your data they'll replace the disk, but they'll also keep your old drive. Even if you ask for it back. Even if you try to /buy/ it back.

**** Harvard IIC: Science + Computing = Innovation <http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/harvard/?sr=hotnews.rss>
by Tim McIntire, Apple
"I'd say 95% of the people most directly involved with Harvard IIC choose Mac as their primary platform. It is funny; if you walk in here, you would think we were sponsored by Apple."

**** The Long And Winding Road Of Apple Notebooks <http://www.macuser.com/hardware/the_long_and_winding_road_of_a.php?lsrc=murss>
by Scott Silverman, MacUser
I think the Core 2 Duo MacBook is one of the best notebook computers Apple has ever made. It's small, beautiful, powerful, durable, and even inexpensive.

**** Apple's Not Fighting Back Against Apple TV Hacks <http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/05/apple-not-fighting-back-against-apple-tv-hacks/>
by Ryan Block, Engadget
Apple's stance is more along the lines of: it's your box, do with it what you please &mdash; but be mindful of voiding that warranty.

**** Web 2.0: End Of Innocence <http://gigaom.com/2007/04/05/web-20-end-of-innocence/>
by Om Malik, GigaOM
Innovators, entrepreneurs and even larger players have to take off the rose-tinted glasses, and worry about web giants' ability to go from friend-to-foe almost overnight.

**** Half Rack <http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=191708>
by Trisha Ready, The Stranger
I lost my breast and my nephew to cancer, but not my bullshit detector.

**** Mommy And Daddy's Little Life Coach <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/05/fashion/05advice.html?ex=1333425600&en=d7d3d5bde6977f24&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Stephanie Rosenbloom, New York Times
Parents have long depended on their children to be in-house experts on fashion, technology and pop culture, to introduce them to fresh music, purge their closets of ghastly apparel and troubleshoot household electronics.But the nature and pervasiveness of child-to-parent advice has reached new proportions for a variety of reasons.

**** Malaysia, Singapore Media Urged To Explore Opportunities To Collaborate <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=255341>
by Jackson Sawatan, Bernama
Malaysia's and Singapore's information ministers have urged the media sector in the two countries to broaden and explore new opportunities for collaboration, leveraging on the talent pool available on both sides of the causeway.

**** Porn Star Play Shakes Up Singapore <http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070406/ennew_afp/entertainmenttheatresingaporesex_070406051500>
by Rachel Lim, AFP
Theatre-goers in Singapore have given positive reviews to a play about a local-born porn star who had sex with dozens of men, in a sign that the conservative city-state may be lossening up.

**** Free Access Zone Plan For Iskandar Development Region Dropped <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Thursday/NewsBreak/20070405184311/Article/index_html>
by Bernama
Johor Menteri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman said that the government, through the immigration department, will instead introduce a smart card to facilitate the immigration process between the two countries.

**** Competition Body Backs Moves To Remove Fee Guidelines <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:803b78d6ee2c1110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Kelvin Wong, Straits Times
It says recommended charges stifle market forces and reduce choices for consumers.

**** Competition Act Should Exclude Medical Services <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:3c6a4252612c1110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Faye Chiam Pui Hoon, Straits Times
It is arguably in the public interest to exempt health care from the Competition Act. At the very least, the commission should give industry-specific regulators like the SMA with their industry knowledge and expertise, the mandate to handle issues such as the guidelines on doctors' fees.

**** Ministers' Salary Increase: Can It Be Delayed Until There Is More Public Consultation? <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:1d081608c22c1110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by Hussin Mutalib, Straits Times
It may be difficult for many to believe that the talent pool is so small and that the able are so money-minded that the best way to get them to come forward is to give them more money.

**** The Stayers Keep Getting Raped <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2007/04/stayers-keep-getting-raped.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
With each passing year, the Singapore government just keeps finding new ways to undermine my sense of rootedness to this country. Why stay? &mdash; if indeed one day I will end up feeling like a stranger in my own home.