[MyAppleMenu] May 19, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 19 13:15:00 EDT 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Apple, A Success At Stores, Bets Big On Fifth Avenue
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/19/technology/19apple.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Steve Lohr, New York Times

Necessity and inspiration led Apple to toss out the conventional textbook on computer stores and to ignore the rules of location, design, staffing and services provided.

*** MacBok To Bolster Apple's June Quarter
<http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/06/05/18/macbook.good.for.apple/>
ipodnn

Apple's newly launched MacBook Pro line is expected to boost its June quarter sales, according to one analyst who calls the product an "iPod companion."

*** Apple's Retail Strategy Reinforces Brand
<http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8HMHV380.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db>
May Wong, Associated Press

*** At Museums: Invasion Of The Podcasts
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/19/arts/design/19pod.html?ex=1305691200&en=0cb105d292b9d4cc&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Randy Kennedy, New York Times

Museum podcasts -- both do-it-yourself versions and those created by the museums themselves -- have taken off, changing the lok and feel of audio tours.

*** Fans Start Queuing Outside Manhattan Store
<http://cultofmac.com/?p=336>
Cult Of Mac

*** Apple Sues iPod Rival Over Patents
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/18/business/ipod.php>
Bloomberg

Apple is suing Creative, raising the stakes in the legal dispute over competing devices. Apple claims Creative Labs, the U.S. division of Creative Technology, infinges four patents in its hand-held digital players. The suit was filed in a Wisconsin District Court on May 15, the same day Creative filed a lawsuit and a trade complaint against Apple.

*** Inside Apple's New Fifth Ave. Store
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/05/18/store/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
David Schloss, Macworld

"In the city that never sleeps, neither does this store. We don't want a visitor [to New York City] to miss a chance to come to the Apple Store, [and] this store will be open from today forever."

*** Microsoft Announces Vista Minimum Requirements
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/05/18/vista/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Elizabeth Montalbano, IDG News Service

The hardware specifications outlined by Microsoft are consistent with Apple's Intel-based Macs. A Mac with upgraded RAM also falls in line with Microsoft's specifications for a windows Vista Premium Ready PC.

[Opinion]

*** For Apple, Good Things In Store
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2006/tc20060519_557955.htm>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

A New York flagship store proves that the iPod maker's retail operation has been a success -- and may boost sales all by itself.

*** MacBook In-Store Impressions
<http://www.happyapps.com/blog/2006/05/macbook-in-store-impressions/>
MacHappy

The MacBook is fast! Everything was just silky smooth.

*** One Feature To Expect In Leopard
<http://dustin.waterfallsw.com/2006/05/one-feature-to-expect-in-leopard.html>
Dustin MacDonald

Resolution independence.

*** One Of Those Days
<http://depleteduranium.blogspot.com/2006/05/one-of-those-days.html>
Depleted Uranium

After not using a Mac for 15 years, this is like moving from a democracy to Singapore -- things are cleaner and neater but there's a lot you can't do.

*** What Price MacBook Beauty?
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/05/blackmacbook/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

Yes, I paid the $150 "there's a sucker born every minute" matte-black plastic tax. Why? Really, it was emotion.

*** Five Architectural Flaws In Windows Solved In Mac OS X
<http://www.roughlydrafted.com/Oct05.5Flaws.html>
RoughlyDrafted

*** My New Mac
<http://www.scripting.com/2006/05/18.html#myNewMac>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

I brought it [back] to the Apple store and they were able to install the memory. The tech said, "You really hae to force it there." Happy again.

[Review]

*** Apple MacBook
<http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbook.ars/1>
Clint Ecker, Ars Technica

I find it very hard to come up with a list of negatives about the MacBook.

*** Apple iPod Hi-Fi
<http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=188100230&subSection=>
Michael Brandenburg, InformationWeek

The sound quality alone could not sell me on the iPod Hi-Fi.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Google's Goal: A Worldwide Web Of Books
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/17/AR2006051702016.html>
Leslie Walker, Washington Post

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** The New Disaster Movie
<http://www.villagevoice.com/film/0620,hoberman,73229,20.html>
J. Hoberman, Village Voice

How the events of September 11 renewed Hollywood's appetite for destruction.

*** Goodbye Already: The Art Of The Television Finale
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/19/arts/television/19fina.html?ex=1305691200&en=ad689e77572c6155&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Alessandra Stanley, New York Times

All shows come to an end, but not every end is worth a showing.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** The Da Vinci Code Opens In Singapore Amid Controversy
<http://movies.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_1164958.php/The_Da_Vinci_Code_opens_in_Singapore_amid_controversy>
DPA

The Da Vinci Code opened in predominantly Buddhist Singapore on Thursday despite attempts by Christian groups to ban the controversial movie.

*** Citibank Ups Ante In Personal Loans Market
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,393950,00.html?>
Lorna Tan, Straits Times

The bank announced yesterday that it will deliver $2,000 to $15,000 in cash to its existing Ready Credit customers within three hours of a request. And new customers are guaranteed one-hour approval for applications and cash withdrawals.

[Opinion]

*** Small Singapore
<http://xenoboysg.blogspot.com/2006/05/small-singapore.html>
A Xeno Boy In Sg

We build and re-build Singapore, physically and mentally, with the urgency ingrained in us that there is a lack of space.

*** The Beauty Of Being Small
<http://ganchau.blogspot.com/2006/05/beauty-of-being-small.html>
The Oriental Express

I am not a politician or a statistician, but I would like to think that Singapore has one of the best transport system in the world.

*** An Uncommon Act
<http://denikeve.blogspot.com/2006/05/uncommon-act.html>
Kevin Goh, Ignorance Is Bliss

*** Musical Talent Crushed
<http://commentarysingapore.blogspot.com/2006/05/musical-talent-crushed.html>
Mr Wang Bakes Good Karma

Year after year after year, as schools like RJC and NJC and VJC continue to manufacture, by the hundreds, perfectly straight-A students who have memorised their way to great success in standardised exam formats. While the really rare, special ones -- like Ike See -- will continue to be overlooked, and will continue to languish.

*** The Preferred Reward: Restore The CPF Cut
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/119267.asp>
Kamala Dewi, Today

*** MDA's Ruling On Pay-TV Is Puzzling
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,394005,00.html?>