[MyAppleMenu] Mar 30, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Mar 30 13:15:01 EST 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Apple Computer Rejects Apple Corps Complaint
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=14239>
Macworld UK

"Data transmission is within our field of use, that's what the 1991 deal says and it is inescapable."

*** Lawyers: Apple Admits Flaw With iPod Volume Fix
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/03/30/ipodlawyers/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

The move acknowledges a product flaw, according to lawyers who filed a class-action lawsuit against Apple in January.

*** New Flaw Crashes Safari, Finder
<http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/03/29/new.flaw.crashes.safari/>
MacNN

*** New Employees Get Tour By iPod
<http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=488972006>
Jude Sheerin, Scotsman

An NHS body has become the first in the UK to use iPods to train staff, it announced yesterday.

*** Apple Is Sliding Toward The Bargain Bin
<http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/tech/gamesandgadgets/10276162.html>
Troy Wolverton, TheStreet.com

Have the shares fallen so low that the former can't-miss tech stock is ripe again for the picking?

*** Congressman Lauds Apple iPod Volume Control Software Update As 'Important First Step'
<http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/congressman_lauds_apple_ipod_volume_control_software_update/>
MacDailyNews

*** Final Cut Pro Studio v5.1 Universal Binary Released
<http://www.tuaw.com/2006/03/29/final-cut-pro-studio-v5-1-is-universal/>
Damien Barrett, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** Apple Turns iPod Volume To Max
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=14227>
Karen Haslam, Macworld UK

Apple has posted a software update for the iPod nano and fifth generation iPod that makes it possible for owners of those iPods to set a limit on the volume levels.

*** The Genesis Of Apple
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/features/appleconfidential20/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Owen W. Linzmayer, Macworld

How the computer company got its start 30 years ago.

[Opinion]

*** Bernard Lang Reports On The Proposed French DRM Law
<http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=997>
Freedom To Tinker

*** Paris And iPod: Who's Crazy?
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/03/29/business/ptdigit30.php>
International Herald Tribune

Are the French crazy to think that they can legislate "interoperability" in digital music? Or are they just ahead of the rest of the world?

*** Thank You Apple On Behalf Of My Children's Ears
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/03/thank_you_apple_on_behalf_of_m.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=Thank+You+Apple+on+behalf+of+My+Childrens+Ears>
Erica Sadun, O'Reilly Network

*** Apple Vs. Apple Is An Old Song
<http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B66B2748D%2D34D1%2D4714%2DB10D%2D9FF71E9AFC11%7D&siteid=mktw>
John C. Dvorak, MarketWatch

Apple's mistake was knuckling under to Apple Corps in the first two cases.

[Review]

*** Testing The 2.16GHz MacBook Pro
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/03/216macbook/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
James Galbraith, Macworld

*** MarsEdit 1.1: Weblog Editing Tool Great For Publishing Outside The Browser
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/reviews/marsedit11/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Lisa Schmeiser, Macworld

It's best suited for experienced bloggers looking for ways to tweak their publishing process.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Web 2.0
<http://www.slate.com/id/2138951/>
Paul Boutin, Slate

The new internet "boom" doesn't live up to its name.

*** Google Leaves Others Behind
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2006/03/29/BUG2RHVGV61.DTL&type=tech>
Verne Kopytoff, San Francisco Chronicle

Yahoo, Microsoft can't keep up with the search leader.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Hail Caesar
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/28/AR2006032800311.html>
Candy Sagon, Washington Post

America cannot get enough of the Caesar salad.

*** Four Hot Meals, And Hold The Dazzle, Please
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/29/dining/29feed.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Alex Witchel, New York Times

At any restaurant, who comes first, the chef or the customer? Is it unreasonable, at least sometimes, to want to eat dinner instead of worshipping at the altar of the resident genius?

*** Celebrity Death Watch
<http://www.newyorkmag.com/news/imperialcity/16493/>
Kurt Andersen, New York Magazine

Could the country's insane fame fixation maybe, finally -- fingers crossed -- be coming to an end? One hopeful sign: Paris Hilton.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[GE06]

*** NUS Forum Its PAP Against Opposition
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,381534,00.html?>
Leslie Koh and Sim Chi Yin, Straits Times

*** Compare Apples With Apples: WP's Low
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/109902.asp>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

If my rival can do it, then so can I, indicated opposition MP Low Thia Khiang in response to reports that AP's Eric Low had promised to help Hougang residents privatise their HUDC estates.

[News]

*** Singapore Wants To Play Bigger Role In Islamic Banking
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/3/30/apworld/20060330114001&sec=apworld>
Associated Press

*** Email Gaffe Highlights Temasek's Image Sensitivites
<http://www.itnews.com.au/newsstory.aspx?CIaNID=31279>
Sara Webb, Reuters

Temasek Holdings accidentally revealed more than it intended this week when it emailed an internal document to journalists that set out how Temasek officials should reply to tough questions from the press.

*** Temasek Document Discusses StanChart Intentions
<http://www.financeasia.com/article.aspx?CIaNID=31237>
Steve Irvine, Finance Asia

A revealing Temasek document with 59 questions and answers outlines its position on the acquisition of the Khoo family stake in Standard Chartered and related issues about the government-owned agency.

*** Troubles With The Law Won't Stop Singaproe Rebel Director
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/3/30/asia/13811978&sec=asia>
AFP

Film-maker Martyn See said police must have been trying to send him a message when they seized his camera last August: Don't make another political film. He did anyway.

*** Cutting Throuh The Hill To Orchard
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/109861.asp>
Lin Yanqin, Today

With the $34 million Fort Canning Tunnel, drivers can bypass traffic lights to get from Marina Centre to the Orchard area.

[Opinion]

*** Why PAP Should Level The Playing Field
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,381496,00.html?>
Leon Tham Ngiap Liang, Straits Times

For the sake of our sense of nationhood, and for the sake of our economy, my wish is that the PAP will help to level the playing field over time. Only then will Singapore be a truly mature society.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]

*** Sending Love From An Island (Xiao Doa Ji Qing)
<http://www.projmusic.com/oursongs.htm?>
Project Music
<http://www.projmusic.com/songs/xiao%20dao%20ji%20qing.mp3>

*** The Definition Of Happiness (Xing Fu De Ding Yi)
<http://www.projmusic.com/songs/Xing%20Fu%20De%20Ding%20Yi.mp3>