[MyAppleMenu] Feb 22, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Feb 22 13:15:01 EST 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Will Power
<http://www.apple.com/business/profiles/gf/>
Sam McMillan, Apple

"The reasons we asked... to switch to the Mac were the same reasons I had for buying my first Mac over 20 years ago. Ease of use and productivity."

*** Security Hole In Mac OS X Also Affects Apple Mail
<http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/69919>
Heise Online

*** Apple Charges For First iTunes 'Podcast Novel'
<http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2150726/itunes-charges-first-podcast>
Robert Jaques, vnunet.com

*** iRony: SNL Cast Uses Macs, Can't Watch "Lazy Sunday" From NBC.com
<http://www.boingboing.net/2006/02/21/irony_snl_cast_uses_.html>
Xeni Jardin, Boing Boing

*** Significant Safari Exploit Discovered
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?13@483.Oz0qbOkZcFk@.3c4f5c5c>
Geoff Duncan, TidBITS

A potentially critical security flaw has been uncovered in Apple's Safari Web browser, which may enable attackers to execute arbitrary Unix shell scripts on a user's machine simply by following a link on a web site.

*** Apple Teases Launch Of Mysterious, 'Fun' Products
<http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6041563.html?part=rss&tag=6041563&subj=news>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

Apple confirmed on Tuesday that it plans to introduce some "fun new products" next week, but declined to say more about what those products might be.

[Opinion]

*** Mac Attack A Load Of Crap
<http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,70257-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Leander Kahney, Wired News

These Mac "threats" are only news because of their novelty, not the threat level they pose.

*** "Will You Please Autograph My iPod?"
<http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/001492.html>
Harry mcCracken, PC WOrld

I can't imagine that I'm the first fan who ever asked a musician to sign an iPod, but I seem to be -- for the time being, anyhow -- the only one with a Bacharach one.

*** Buy iTunes? I Say, Bye iTunes!
<http://www2.townonline.com/somerville/entertainment/view.bg?articleid=433827>
Al Kooper, Somerville Journal

Alas, in the past two years, Apple began to get greedy.

*** Why I Passed Up The Chance To Work At Apple
<http://www.cameronmoll.com/archives/000809.html>
Cameron Moll, Authentic Boredom

*** How Does iTunes Pick Featured Podcasts?
<http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/>
Mark Glaser, PBS

Until Apple does come clean about its methodology for featuring podcasts and charting them -- and explain it prominently for listeners -- it will remain a cloud of uncertainty, making those picks less than trustworthy.

*** Tale Of A Shifty Shufffle
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2006/02/shiftyshuffle/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

On a recent MacMania cruise I attended I had the opportunity to learn, first hand, about the advisability of using an iPod shuffle as a USB key drive. In short: Not such a hot idea.

[Review]

*** iPhoto Update Alone Makes iLife '06 A Great Buy
<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/iphoto_update_alone_makes_ilife_06_a_great_buy1/>
Andrew Wielandt, Macsimum

*** MacBook Pro Battery Benchmarks
<http://www.powerpage.org/archives/2006/02/macbook_pro_battery_benchmarks.html>
O'Grady's PowerPage

*** iMac Keps Its Power Promise, PC Challenge Issued
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/02/imac_keeps_its.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

[Sidetrack]

*** Rumor Today: It's Mac Mini And iBook's Turn
Heng-Cheong Leong

Or rather, the Mac mini, and the Mac Book. Time to go Intel for the lower-cost Macintoshes, according to the rumors <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002820565_applelaunch22.html> out there.

See you next Tuesday.

*** Just For Fun...
Heng-Cheong Leong

Imagine this: When Steve Jobs comes on stage next Tuesday, and declare a brand new version of iMac with built-in TV tuner, TiVo, Radioshark, an iPod dock, and simply more "fun", at the same price... guess how many recent Intel iMac customers will declare they hate Apple? :-)

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Google Loses Image Search Copyright Case
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/0,39020645,39253737,00.htm>
Declan McCullagh, CNET News.com

A site selling pornography has successfully claimed that Google image search's thumbnails violate its copyright.

*** Why Formats Like RSS 2.0 Work
<http://www.scripting.com/2006/02/22.html#whyFormatsLikeRss20Work>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

These constraints have served us well. They have kept the platform stable, so Microsoft could take two years to adopt it from top to bottom in their Windows operating system, and not have RSS change while they did their work.

*** Drive-Through Technology Made To Order
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-drivethru21feb21,1,2108815.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
Associated Press

Fast-food stores compete to shave seconds off their service time and gain accuracy and simplicity in the ordering process.

*** Google Releases Desktop 3 For Enterprise
<http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-6041848.html?part=rss&tag=6041848&subj=news>
Elinor Mills, CNET News.com

Google on Tuesday released the beta version of its latest desktop search application, Google Desktop 3 for Enterprise, which the company recommends for corporations worried about security risks.

*** Digital Books Start A New Chapter
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_09/b3973111.htm>
Burt Helm, BusinessWeek

Lighter devices, better displays, and the iPod craze could make them best-sellers.

*** Can Yahoo Do Content?
<http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-6041227.html>
Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[World]

*** Wanna Buy A Port?
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/21/AR2006022101177.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns>
Harold Meyerson, Washington Post

Only in the United States is the corporation answerable only to its shareholders -- not to its employees, its host communities, its home nation.

*** The Memo
<http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?060227fa_fact>
Jane Mayer, New Yorker

How an internal effort to ban the abuse and torture of detainees was thwarted.

[Life]

*** Libraries Begin Uncertain New Chapter
<http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,,1714676,00.html>
Chris Alden, The Guardian

With internet companeis becoming more involved in digitising content, what role does the public library have in today's web-driven society?

*** Bird Flu Fears Coop Up London's Famous Ravens
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/21/AR2006022101042.html>
Mary Jordan, Washington Post

The fear of bird flu has done what Luftwaffe bombings, blizzards, assassinations and abdications could not, forcing the Tower of London's ravens to be moved inside in isolation for their own safety and to hedge Britain's bets on the future of the crown.

[Expressions]

*** Birthday
<http://www.aprweb.org/issues/current/lynch.html>
Alessandra Lynch, American Poetry Review

*** The Box
<http://www.fencemag.com/v8n1/text/franco.html>
Gina Franco, Fence

*** Birds of Anguish
<http://www.poetrymagazine.com/archives/2005/Holi_Day56/Current/porat.html>
Translated by Cindy Eisner, Poetry Magazine

*** Night Run
<http://www.slate.com/id/2120095/>
Lynn Emanuel, Slate

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[Ramblings]

*** Instant Coffee, By Choice
Heng-Cheong Leong

Rumor has it <http://www.crikey.com.au/articles/2006/02/22-1608-8649.html> that when you visit Singapore Airline's CEO at his office -- not that I have ever done that -- you only get instant coffee in paper cups. Not even real cups. Customers at economy class on Singapore Airlines have better cups.

[News]

*** Former DPM Rajaratnam Dies Of Heart Failure At Age 90
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/194463/1/.html>
Lee Foong Ming, Channel NewsAsia

*** Former Singapore Deputy Prime Minister S. Rajaratnam Dies At 90
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/22/apworld/20060222180927&sec=apworld>
Associated Press

*** Late Rajaratnam Remembered For His Profound Contribution To Nation: FM Yeo
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/194493/1/.html>
Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia

Hailing Singapore's first foreign minister as a "giant," Foreign Minister George Yeo said his ministry would remember Mr S Rajaratnam's profound contribution to the nation.

*** Singapore Talks On Closer Ties: Downer
<http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,18235985%255E1702,00.html>
News.com.au

Australia wanted to develop closer ties with Singapore despite banning Singapore Airlines from flying the lucrative Sydney-to-Los Angeles route, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said today.

*** Explain Why Singapore Misled: Labor
<http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,18235432%255E1702,00.html>
The Advertiser

The federal government might have misled Singapore into believing its flagship airline would get access to the lucrative Sydney-US route, Labor said today.

*** mTouche Suspended For Letting Users Get Charged For New Year SMSes
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/194312/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

*** PAP To Field Eurasians In Elections Soon
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/102476.asp>
Channel NewsAsia

*** TV Licence Fee Funded Many Programmes
<http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article-southeastasia.asp?parentid=39489>
Tee Hun Ching, Straits Times

In the last financial year, the $111 million collected from TV and radio licence fees funded more than 3,000 hours of public service programmes, Information, Communications and the Arts Minister Lee Boon Yang said.

*** Singapore Disappointed By Australia's Decision On SIA
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/194339/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's Transport Ministry said it was extremely disappointed by the Australian Government's decision on Singapore Airlines. "Singapore has... been more than generous in facilitating the growth of Austrlian carriers to and beyond Singapore. It is disheartening to see that they have taken this and warmth in our bilateral relationship for granted."

[Opinion]

*** We Should Learn From Singapore
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/21/focus/13450290&sec=focus>
Intan Mastura Maulud, The Star

Sure, it is not a perfect system, but I believe we can learn a lot from our southern neighbour.

*** Would MOE Have Racial Quotas For Schools?
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,372904,00.html?>
Teo Teck Seng, Straits Times

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]

*** The Forest Scares The Hell Out Of Me
<http://www.sayhitoyourmom.com/music.htm>
Say Hi To Your Mom
<http://www.sayhitoyourmom.com/sayhi_forest_full.mp3>