[MyAppleMenu] Feb 13, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Feb 13 13:15:01 EST 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** New Grant System Excludes Mac Users
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/12/AR2006021200942.html>
Rick Weiss, Washington Post

What if the federal government were about to give away more than $400 billion in grants, but only people whose computers ran on Microsoft software could apply?

*** Cupid Now Comes In Pocket Size
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2037889,00.html>
Adam Sherwin, The Times

Modern lovers are giving their partner an iPod pre-loaded with their favourite romantic songs.

[Sidetrack]

*** A Headphone With Two Sources
Heng-Cheong Leong

How difficult, you think, would be for headphone manufacturers to create a headphone that can take audio from two sources? With more people listening to their iPods during work, any sound made by the computer will be totally ignored. This can be a blessing, but it can also be a "problem", especially if you are software programmer creating the next GarageBand.

Or maybe we are saying that the software programmer creating the next GarageBand shouldn't really be listening to his iPod and ignorin the audio quality of GarageBand?

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Can Amazon Catch Apple?
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11179702/site/newsweek/>
Brad Stone, Newsweek

Even though Amazon just cleared a record $1 billion in quarterly sales, Wall Street is now more interested in the only e-commerce feature Bezos doesn't have -- the delivery of music and movies digitally, a la Apple's widly successful iTunes.

*** Only Big Companies' PCs Will Play High-Def DVDs
<http://www.boingboing.net/2006/02/12/only_big_companies_p.html>
Cory Doctorow, Boing Boing

*** In Barcelona, The Future Of Wireless
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2006/tc20060213_995854.htm>
Andy Reinhardt, BusinessWeek

This year's 3GSM mobile phone show will focus on last data links, music and TV services, and emerging markets, not to mention cutthroat rivalries.

*** Meet The Google Guys
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1158956,00.html>
Adi Ignatius, Time

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** You Hate Me, You Really Hate Me
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/12/books/review/12sittenfield.html>
Curtis Sittenfeld, New York Times

When I began visiting book clubs after my first novel was published, I found that my experiences were not the estrogen-suffused love fests I'd envisioned.

*** A Bed Of Roses
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/09/AR2006020901477.html>
Stephanie Booth, Washington Post

He was a combat soldier in Iraq. She was a divorced mom in California. They flirted, fell in love, committed... and then they met in the flesh.

*** The Same Sex Scene: A Serosorting Story
<http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/02/12/CMGTQGOA021.DTL>
Christopher Heredia, San Francisco Chronicle

Dating within HIV positive or negative population has reduced the HIV infection rate in San Francisco. It also allows for an intimacy previously missing.

*** What's So Hot About 50?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/12/magazine/12wwln_lede.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Daphne Merkin, New York Times

Sex and the boomer is not booming.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[Ramblings]

*** Yum Sheng! ... Ptooi!
Heng-Cheong Leong

Why, oh why, must the beer commercials on television this past Chinese New Year season be so extremely bad?

[News]

*** Singapore To Encourage Tamil Learning
<http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/5967_1624486,001600060001.htm>
DPA

*** Singapore, Malaysia Sign Double Taxation Pact
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=79281>
DPA

*** Singaporeans Lose 22,000 Mobile Phones A Year
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,370930,00.html?>
Dawn Lim and Ben Nadarajan, Tracy Sua, Straits Times

[Opinion]

*** Half-bridge Taking All For Ride
<http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/46845>
Malaysiakini

A 'half-bridge' that leads to nowhere which costs RM2 billion -- is anyone in the government thinking?

*** Good Bridges Make Good Neighbours
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Monday/Columns/20060213074200/Article/index_html>
Lim Kok Wing, New Straits Times

Singapore's worries about its trade being affected by the economic emergence of Johor after the replacement of the Causeway are unfounded.

*** Chinese Majority Must Speak Up Too
<http://www.asianewsnet.net/level3_template2.php?l3sec=11&news_id=52343&key_word=>
Mafoot Simon, Straits Times

There is clearly a need for the clan associations to break out from their old shell of being the custodians of Chinese culture and heritage, to be involved in a greater, and not less important, new role of being "megawatt connectors" betweent he Chinese majority and other minorities.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]