[MyAppleMenu] Feb 10, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Feb 10 13:15:01 EST 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Coming Next To Mac: Linux And Windows?
<http://www.computerworld.com/developmenttopics/development/story/0,10801,108532,00.html?source=x604>
Eric Lai, Computerworld

Momentum is building, albeit unevenly, to bring alternate operating systems to the Intel-based Macintosh computers that Apple recently released.

*** Imeem Finds A Creative Solution: Innovative Cross-Platform Development
<http://developer.apple.com/business/macmarket/imeem.html>
Apple

*** The MacMini Portable
<http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/09/the-macmini-portable/>
Evan Blass, Engadget

Some ideas are so brilliantly simple, we're surprised no one has thought of them before.

*** AT&T Warns Apple, Others, Of Patent Infringement
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1923219,00.asp>
Bary Alyssa Johnson and Mark Hachman, PC Magazine

AT&T has begun to name names in its hunt to license its MPEG video compression patents.

[Opinion]

*** Podfading
<http://www.evilgeniuschronicles.org/wordpress/2006/02/09/podfading/>
Dave Slusher, Evil Genius Chronicles

I see them as experiments that were cheap to try and were worth a shot and from which people learned things.

*** No, No, Nano: The Afterglow
<http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/technology_internetcritic/2006/02/well_uh_gee_and.html>
Steve Johnson, Chicago Tribune

Oh, hello again. I didn't see you there. I was just sitting here, basking in the afterglow of yesterday's firestorm over my simple declaration that my wife and I had a hard time getting an Apple product up and running with anywhere near the simplicity that lore would have them possess.

*** Is PortalPlayer Showing Apple's Hand?
<http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/tech/gamesandgadgets/10267611.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA>
Troy Wolverton, TheStreet.com

Ready for your wireless iPod?

*** Your Favorite Notebooks
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/09/AR2006020900890.html>
James A. Martin, PC World

Apple's portable earns high marks for both substance and style.

*** The Hub Of All Apple Stores
<http://www.bostonist.com/archives/2006/02/09/the_hub_of_all_apple_stores.php>
jon Petitt, Bostonist

*** Nuts To You
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macmania/2006/02/cruisenuts/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

The other passengers aboard the good ship Oosterdam look at our MacMania crew like they're nuts.

[Review]

*** Supplanting .Mac With OS X Server (Calendaring)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/02/supplanting_mac_with_os_x_serv.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=Supplanting+.Mac+with+OS+X+Server+(Calendaring)>
Tom Bridge, O'Reilly Network

*** Apple iPod Socks
<http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_iPod_Socks/4514-6519_7-31217994.html?part=cnet&subj=Apple+iPod+Socks>
CNET

*** Remove The Pro From QuickTime Player
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macosxhints/2006/02/qtplayernopro/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

Thankfully, it's ridiculously eas to give the "Pro" icon the boot.

[Sidetrack]

*** Why Do We See Tons Of iPod Advertisements, But Barely Anything About Macintosh?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Guy Kawasaki might provide a clue or two...

He said <http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2006/02/the_art_of_rain.html>: These days an iPod is bought: people walk into the Apple store intending to buy it. By contrast... a Macintosh is still sold: the hardworking Apple store employee has to convince people that a Maicntosh is fast, safe, easy-to-use, and runs the software that they need. For selling to work, you need face-to-face, personalized, and intense contact. Advertising can't do this...

*** Lately, Is Steve Jobs Too Busy With That Other Company?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Evan Williams <http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,370144,00.html?>: Sometime while using an Apple product, I wonder who snuck this detail past Steve?

[Wintel]

*** Open-Source iTunes Rival Launches
<http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-6037582.html?part=rss&tag=6037582&subj=news>
John Borland, CNET News.com

A San Francisco start-up released an early test version of its open-source Songbird music software Wednesday, with which its ultimately hopes to undermine the dominance of Apple's iTunes.

*** Microsoft Revamps MSN TO Focus More On Content
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/rss/13832987.htm?source=rss&channel=siliconvalley_rss>
Associatd Press

Microsoft's plans to rebrand its free e-mail, instant messenger and web search products under the name "Live" could be interpreted as a sign that MSN -- the unit that previously housed those products -- is a sinking ship.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Performance Anxiety
<http://www.ocweekly.com/component/content2/view/performance-anxiety_2006-02-09/>
Steve Lowery, OC Weekly

What's great sex when everybody's having great sex?

*** For Your Type, Keep Typing
<http://www.calendarlive.com/dating/cl-wk-cover9feb09,0,5279441.story?coll=la-homepage-calendar-widget>
Susan Carpenter, Los Angeles Times

Vegetarians, pet fanciers, truckers, Buddhists and goths -- to name a few -- are looking for love in all the specialized places, as niche dating websites multiply.

*** Can You Fear Me Now?
<http://www.slate.com/id/2135754/nav/tap1/>
Bryan Curtis, Slate

The cell phone goes frm annoying to evil.

*** When Good Comedians Go Bad
<http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2006/02/10/comedy/index_np.html>
Stephanie Zacharek, Salon

Remember when Steve Martin, Albert Brooks and Woody Allen were funny? What on earth happened to our favorite funnymen?

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[Ramblings]

*** Confusion
Heng-Cheong Leong

I see someone <http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,370144,00.html?> has confused between the MediaCorp's Mobile TV and the proposed bus CCTV system.

Not all things with the name "Television" in there is used to sell advertisement. Others are used to invade your privacy.

[News]

*** Singapore Won't Allow Publication Of Prophet Cartoons
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000080&sid=awUn5d6syn0I&refer=asia>
Bloomberg

Singapore won't allow the publication of a controversial sequence of cartoons depicting the prophet Muhammad, Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said late Thursday, condemning the caricatures as insensitive.

*** 6 Town Councils Set To Announce Upgrading Plans
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,370202,00.html?>
Tan Hui Yee, Straits Times

*** AirAsia Captain Welcomes New Partner In His Thai Unit
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/10Feb2006_biz40.php>
Umesh Pandey, Bangkok Post

Tony Fernandes, the group chief executive officer of AirAsia, said he was happy to work with Temasek after its takeover of Shin Corp, citing its professionalism.

*** Asians Love The Roll Of The Dice
<http://dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1012206&CatID=9>
Reuters

[Opinion]

*** Taxation: Learning From Singapore
<http://www.gorkhapatra.org.np/pageloader.php?file=2006/02/10/editorial/editorial1>
Amrit P. Shrestha, Gorkhapatra Sansthan

*** No Credit Given For Not Collecting Enough On Flag Day
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,370320,00.html?>
Wan Ying Yi, Straits Times

*** Watch Out For Fallout From Temasek's Move
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,370324,00.html?>
Quek Soo Beng, Straits Times

*** Ministry Of Manpower Non-Reply
<http://singabloodypore.blogspot.com/2006/02/ministry-of-manpower-non-reply.html>
Singabloodypore

Somehow MOM insists that the Singapore rate of unemployment benefitted more from a 'record increase in jobs' -- without showing that these jobs actually went to Singaporeans more than they went to foreign workers.