[MyAppleMenu] Feb 1, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Feb 1 13:15:01 EST 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** An Insider's Take On Steve Jobs
<http://yahoo.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2006/tc20060130_588611.htm>
Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek

Former Apple borad member Edgar Woolard Jr. talks about the man, his vision, and how he'll likely contribute at Disney.

*** Publishers And Politicians Want A Word In Your Ear
<http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,,1699441,00.html>
Cosima Marriner, The Guardian

Almost in a matter of months podcasting has become the "next big thing" in media, seized on by traditional publishers and broadcasters searching for new ways to attract and retain audiences in the digital age.

*** Wireless Cos. Launch Second iTunes Phone
<http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/business/13758654.htm>
Peter Svensson, Associated Press

The new phone, the SLVR L7, has the same storage limitation for iTunes files and uses the same slow USB technology to connect to the computer.

*** Apple Reduces Price On 20-Inch iMac G5
<http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/01/31/20.inch.imac.g5.price.drop/>
MacNN

[Opinion]

*** Windows Or Linux On iMac Or MacBook Pro
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/01/windows_or_linu.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

Personally, I'd rather skip dual-boot and move straight to direct execution of non-OS X apps in user space.

*** Close But No Cigar: Wharton B-School's DRM Analysis
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=2504>
David Berlind, ZDNet

History (especially technology history) has proven time and time again that when vendors end up in control of a market, the privilege gets abused.

*** Apple's Control Of Information Is A Disservice To Journalism
<http://www.prweek.com/us/thisissue/article/538413/column-apples-control-information-disservice-journalism>
Dan Gillmor, PR Week

By trying (and largely succeeding) to control every iota of information, Apple ultimately does itself no favors.

*** An 'Apple' A Day Keeps The Computer Guy Away
<http://www2.townonline.com/weymouth/opinion/view.bg?articleid=419107>
Bill Brids, Town Online

After a week of watching the evening news deliver the message that my Windows computer was again vulnerable due to some security hole, and at this writing unable to be patched, I slumped into a fetal position and pondered: "Why didn't I buy an Apple?"

*** Jam
<http://markbernstein.org/Jan0601/Jam.html>
Mark Bernstein

*** It's Not Easy Being Steve
<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/op_ed_its_not_easy_being_steve/>
Frank Petrie, Macsimum

[Review]

*** Apple Music Program Gets Even Better With Revision
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2006/01/30/BUG4FGUO0K1.DTL&type=tech>
Benny Evangelista, San Francisco Chronicle

GarageBand 3 rovides a nearly complete package of tools that average podcasters would need to create, and jazz up, their productions.

*** Tweaking iTunes
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2006/01/31/itunes-tweaks.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=Tweaking+iTunes>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

It's time to explore similar tweaks and tips for making iTunes more to your taste.

*** iLife '06: Why Can't The PC Do This?
<http://www.connectedhomemag.com/HomeOffice/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=49259>
Paul Thurrott, Connected Home Magazine

Quite simply, there's nothing on the Windows side of the fence that approaches the quality of iLife '06.

*** New Software Really Sweet: Upgrades To iWork Hit Keynote
<http://business.bostonherald.com/reviews/view.bg?articleid=123554>
Eric Convey, Boston Herald

*** GarageBand 3: Drang-And-Drop Music-Creation Application Takes On Podcasting
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/01/reviews/gband3/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

[Sidetrack]

*** Make Your Bets Now
Heng-Cheong Leong

Is it going to be iBook (unlikely), MacBook, or iMacBook?

*** Where's My Cut?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Dear AT&T <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060131-6089.html>,

I'm providing your customer with free content here at MyAppleMenu. In fact, I believe that it is because of the free content provided by my web site and many other web sites like mine that motivated a lot of your customers to pay you good money to connect to the so-called internet cloud.

As such, I think it is right for you to pass on some of these revenue my way. Otherwise, this web site, and many other web sites like this, will be forced to not provide quality services to your customers.

Thank you.

:-)

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Why Crooks Love A Second-Hand PC
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking/why-crooks-love-a-secondhand-pc/2006/01/31/1138590481142.html>
Reuters

People who sell their old computers put themselves at risk of being defrauded or having their identities stolen because many terminals are not properly wiped of data, according to a study released today.

*** Citizen Journalism Slow To Catch Fire
<http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B433B272B-CBEC-415C-8CDC-9D20F0454E4C%7D&siteid=google>
Bambi Francisco, MarketWatch

*** In Wake Of China Incident, Microsoft Amends Policies On Blog Shutdowns
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/rss/13757873.htm?source=rss&channel=siliconvalley_rss>
Associated Press

Microsoft said Tuesday that it will endeavor to make blogs available to users elsewhere even if Microsoft decides it is legally obliged to block them in a particular country.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Effort To Save Maine Salmon Is Losing Ground
<http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2006/01/31/effort_to_save_maine_salmon_is_losing_ground/>
Beth Daley, Boston Globe

Five years after the federal government declared Atlantic salmon endangered in Maine, the fish continue to vanish despite a rescue effort that so far has cost taxpayers at least $20 million, and scientists are fearful that they are witnessing an extinction unfold.

*** Under A Big Umbrella, But What Else Do They Share?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/01/international/01letter.html>
Alan Cowell, New York Times

Every so often, the British like to ask themselves what it is that makes them British. And just as often, they seem to conclude that if you need to ask, you cannot really know.

*** The Romance Of Business Travel And Other Myths
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/31/business/31weird.html?_r=1&8hpib&oref=slogin>
Francine Parnes, New York Times

Who needs industry statistics about airplane orders and hotel occupancy rates when the beleaguered business people who are sitting in the planes and sleeping in the hotels are testing another kind of boundary: the limits of humiliation, weirdness, fear and revulsion?

[Expressions]

*** No Flights Until Morning
<http://www.slate.com/id/2120096/>
David Tucker, Slate

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** JB Bridge Project Must Go Ahead, Says Abdullah
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/1/31/nation/13255897&sec=nation>
The Star

"They know we are going to build the bridge, the question is what type of bridge, whether a crooked or straight one. So, they should not be confused over our move."

*** HDB Puts Up Five-Room And Executive Flats For Rent
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,368310,00.html?>
Daryl Loo, Straits Times

[Opinion]

*** Not Right To Hang If Judges' Decision Split
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/98474.asp>
Lim Boon Hee, Today

*** CCAs: Stretched Resources Used Prudently To Enrich Character
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/98466.asp>
Aloysius Goh, Raffles Institution, Today

Soccer is alive in RI. We have created several other avenues for the development of soccer through PE lessons, inter-house and inter-class tournaments.

*** Burgess Chews On Singapore
<http://thetyee.ca/Life/2006/01/26/BurgessChewsSingapore/>
Steve Burgess, The Tyee

Singapore has an electoral system of sorts, but one that is almost as thoroughly rigged as any Communist ballot charade.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]