[MyAppleMenu] Apr 30, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Apr 30 13:15:00 EDT 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Wired In The Workplace
<http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060430/GPG04/604300628/1250/GPGlife>
Stephanie Armour, USA Today

More employees are using portable music players while at work. Users say it helps filter out distractions, but some co-workers aren't singing the same tune.

[Opinion]

*** Change
<http://blakeseely.com/blog/archives/2006/04/27/change/>
Blakeseely.com

Starting this Monday, I will be joining the Aperture team at Apple.

*** iPod Generation
<http://bowlinghottie.blogspot.com/2006/04/ipod-generation.html>
Eva del Vecchio-Porter, Bowling Alley Hottie

Everyone knows that no one is going to strike up a converstation and try to take advantage of the crazy woman in the back of the train giggling while trying desperately not to look you directly in the eye.

*** A Mac Girl In A PC World
<http://www.mccookgazette.com/story/1150527.html>
Ronda Graff, McCook daily Gazette

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** The Utter Futility Of Geekness
<http://www.scripting.com/2006/04/30.html#theUtterFutilityOfGeekness>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

I do know that Dan Bricklin posed something like a law to explain the phenomenon, as best as a geek possibly can. Software that rewards you for doing something one percent of the time will get used and software that punishes you for doing it only 99 percent of the time will not get used.

*** Two Steps Backward
<http://www.buzzmachine.com/index.php/2006/04/29/two-steps-backward/>
BuzzMachine

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Village Writes Its Epitaph: Victim Of A Graying Japan
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/30/world/asia/30japan.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Norimitsu Onishi, New York Times

As rural Japan becomes increasingly depopulated, many villages and hamlets, along with their traditions and histories, risk vanishing.

*** The Science Of Me
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-2143535,00.html>
Tim Rayment and Ariel Leve, The Times

Scientists say they can map out your medical destiny: what diseases you'll get and how you'll die. But would knowing the future improve your life?

*** A Romantic Date In Paris
<http://observer.guardian.co.uk/travel/story/0,,1764336,00.html>
Tom Robbins, The Observer

A budget is no barrier to love.

*** The Next Generation
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/30/opinion/30sun4.html?ex=1304049600&en=6b9671d64446fc18&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Verlyn Klinkenborg, New York Times

I often try to explain why my wife and I live where we do. But it really comes down to living as close to wildness as we can. I realize that now. What makes it easier is that so many wild creatures don't mind living near us -- so near that we hardly think of them as wild any more.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[GE06]

*** SDA Candidate Steve Chia Says Govt Not Transparent On NKF, Reserves
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/205683/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

"If TT Durai did not sue SPH, let me ask you, will our PAP ministers still be praising the NKF, Mr TT Durai and urging people to continue donating to the old NKF? If TT Durai did not sue SPH, would they, our world class ministers, know all the wrongdoings in NKF?"

*** SDA's Chiam See Tong Rebuts NCMP Suggestion
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/205768/1/.html>
Rita Zahara, Channel NewsAsia

*** Four More SDP Members May Apologise To Singapore Leaders Over Defamation Suits
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/205783/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Lawyer M. Ravi told Channel NewsAsia he is no longer acting for four members of the SDP's Central Executive Committee.

*** Apology By WP's James Gomez Does Not Properly Address Issue: George Yeo
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/205736/1/.html>
Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia

"James Gomez was accusing not only a department, he was accusing an innocent public official of a very serous misdeed. If there were o closed circuit television cameras, that civil servant would have been in trouble and his whole family would have suffered for it, so that he could paly a political game? Please give us a proper reply."

*** Govt Must Account To Voters, Says Low
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,389294,00.html?>
Nicholas Fang, Straits Times

Workers' Party chief Low Thia Khiang last night questioned why so much money was now being spent to upgrade lifts in HDB flats and make public transport more disabled-friendly. If these facilities had been better designed at the start, thefunds now being spent could have been saved, he said, asking who should be held accountable for the waste.

*** WP's Gomez Admits He Did Not Submit Form To Elections Dept
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/205664/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

[Election Talk]

*** Don't Be A Lemming
<http://bigheadache.blogspot.com/2006/04/dont-be-lemming.html>
Benjamin Chiang, I've Got A Massive Headache

How do you live a real life instead of being a machine bred to grow a nation's economy?

*** CCK SDA Rally Report
<http://www.djourne.net/sgelection06/index.php/2006/04/30/cck-sda-rally-report/>
Sg Election '06

*** Is The Government Easing Up On Old Media?
<http://singaporemedia.blogspot.com/2006/04/is-government-easing-up-on-old-media.html>
Cherian George, Singapore: New Media, Politics & The Law

My own impressionistic assessment is that there has been a subtle but significant easing up on the media, allowing journalists more room than in previous elections to do their job with some professionalism.

*** First General Election Rally
<http://professor76.blogspot.com/2006/04/first-general-election-rally.html>
Reflections

Passion, it's not something I see very often in Singapore. But witnessed lots of passion in a political rally and I want to go for another one before voting starts this Saturday.

*** A Brief COmment On This Blogger's Post That Turned Into A Ramble, As Usual
<http://inky-quirks.livejournal.com/40576.html>
Inky_quirks

Many worry about being blacklisted, about not being given upgrades or benefits among others.

*** Toughening Politicians For The Future
<http://quzy.blogspot.com/2006/04/enpol-toughening-politicians-for.html>
Quiescente Queste

For the long-term survival of the PAP, it should perhaps consider the very solution it prescribed for Singapore's unemployment problem -- increased competitivity.

[News]

*** 'Re-negotiate Bridge Issue'
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Sunday/National/20060430074945/Article/index_html>
New Straits Times