[MyAppleMenu] Apr 22, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Apr 22 13:15:00 EDT 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Ring Of Logic To Phone iPod
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0604220080apr22,1,919487.story?coll=chi-business-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true>
Mike Hughlett, Chicago Tribune

Apple is being quiet, but many expect the company to launch its own cellular service, likely before year's end.

*** Judges Take A Few Swipes At Apple's Arguments
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/rss/14397022.htm?source=rss&channel=siliconvalley_rss>
Howard Mintz, San Jose Mercury News

A state appeals court in San Jose on Thursday appeared openly hostile to Apple's attempts to pry information from bloggers that would reveal who may have leaked confidential information on a new company product.

*** Mac OS X Hit By 6 New Zero-Day Bugs
<http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=186700027&subSection=Macintosh+Platform>
Gregg Keizer, TechWeb

Four of the bugs related to how the Mac's OS parses various image file formats -- including BMP, TIFF, and GIF, one to how OS X demcompresses malformed ZIP archives, and "several" affect Apple's Safari browser, said researcher Tom Ferris.

*** Some Mac Resellers Preinstalling Windows XP
<http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=186500443&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News>
Gregg Keizer, TechWeb

A few OEMs are selling standard Macintosh models with Windows XP already loaded via Boot Camp, but Apple says it has no intention of doing the same.

*** UMG Executive Says Gift Cards Fueling Digital Music
<http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?siteid=mktw&guid=%7BD4A2F8D8%2DA4C5%2D4AB6%2DBD7C%2D12FFB86E61AA%7D>
Jessica Hodgson, Dow Jones

*** Apple Inks Consulting Deal With Former Hardware Exec
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1694>
Kasper Jade, AppleInsider

*** Jamie Houssian: Finding The Flow
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/houssian/>
Dustin Driver, Apple

"All of us int he film crew ride. We love the sport and we want to document it in a way that hasn't been done before."

*** Mercedez-Benz USA: High Performance In High Def
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/mbusa/>
Joe Cellini, Apple

Mercedes-Benz USA introduces each new S-Class model with a complementary rollout of compelling high-definition video for dealer events, auto shows, and television. For its latest model, the S550, the company generated and post-produced all of that HD video in-house on a battery of Macs running Xsan and Final Cut Studio.

*** University Of California, Irvine; HIPerWall: New Vistas In Scientific Visualization
<http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/hiperwall/>
Frank Lacombe, Apple

"The decision to adopt the Mac platform was based on many factors that included the form factor and resolution of Apple Cinema Displays, a robust UNIX-based operating system that was tightly integrated with open source components, and the ease of administration and use."

*** Dr. Hercules Of Hackensack
<http://www.apple.com/business/profiles/gallo/>
David Levy, Apple

"Macs and PowerBooks enabled me to grow and sustain a small, personal practice that runs extremely efficiently."

*** Photoshop Coming In Universal Binary
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/04/21/77646_HNphotoshopuniversal_1.html?source=rss>
Martyn Williams, IDG News Service

A version of Adobe's flagship Photoshop software that will run on Mac computers based on either the legacy PowerPC or new Intel platform will be available in the first half of next year, the company's CEO said Friday.

*** Apple Offers Free Computer Recycling Program
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/04/21/recycle/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Apple extended its recycling program on Friday offering consumers a way to dispose their old systems for free.

[Opinion]

*** Ten Reasons Why I Hate My MacBook Pro
<http://isnoop.net/blog/?p=35>
isnoop.net

All that aside, be sure to come back soon for Part II: Ten Reasons Why I Love My MacBook Pro.

*** Native Speaker: There May Be An End-Run For Apple Around Windows After All
<http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20060420.html>
Robert X. Cringely, PBS

I believe that Apple will offer Windows Vista as an option for those big customers who demand it, but I also believe that Apple will offer in OS X 10.5 the ability to run natively Windows XP applications with no copy of XP installedo n the machine at all.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** It's The Links, Stupid
<http://www.economist.com/surveys/displaystory.cfm?story_id=6794172>
The Economist

Blogging is just another word for having conversations.

*** Among The Audience
<http://www.economist.com/surveys/displaystory.cfm?story_id=6794156>
The Economist

The era of mass media is giving way to one of personal and participatory media. That will profoundly change both the media industry and society as a whole.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[World]

*** Happy Days Are Here Again -- Or Are They?
<http://www.economist.com/world/displaystory.cfm?story_id=6823528>
The Economist

Americans are fed up with George Bush's Republicans. But the Democrats look far from invincible.

[Life]

*** Eat Less, Live More
<http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=6823498>
The Economist

How to live longer -- maybe.

*** Philips And Time Inc. Agree To Keep It Simple
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB114558549282632082-nr16_phnVkfEmkiBK_LOM_ccw9k_20060428.html?mod=blogs>
Brian Steinberg, Wall Street Journal

Finding the table of contents in a magazine usually means flipping through ads. Now one advertiser is turning that system on its head.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[GE06]

*** First World Country Must Have First World Government And Opposition: MM Lee
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/204433/1/.html>
Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia

Mr Lee says it is up to the opposition parties to field credible candidates to contest an election and win.

*** Health Minister Says He Takes SDP's Allegations About NKF Saga Seriously
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/204430/1/.html>
Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia

*** Timing Of Lawsuit Against SDP Not Decided By PM Lee Or MM Lee: Mah
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/204429/1/.html>
Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

Instead the timing depends on when the alleged defamatory remarks were made.

*** Candidates Must Bring Along Proposer, seconder And Assentors On Nomination Day
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/204413/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Those who put their names down in support of the candidate must be there to confirm their personal particulars, according to Parliamentary Election rules.

*** PAP Candidate Gan Kim Yong Ready For Contest In Chua Chu Kang
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/204397/1/.html>
Joanne Leow, Channel NewsAsia

*** Political Parties Should refrain From Making Defamatory Remarks: Lim Swee Say
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/204389/1/.html>
Alwiyah Mohd, Channel NewsAsia

"I think we should stay away from defamations because a defamation is a no-win for any party involved."

*** A Rational Choice
<http://www.economist.com/world/asia/displaystory.cfm?story_id=6838543>
The Economist

Will the affluent young deny the bossy ruling party a clean sweep?

*** PM, MM Demand Apology From SDP Over NKF Remarks
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/114121.asp>
Jasmine Yin, Today

Lee Hsien Loong and Lee Kuan Yew are demanding an apology and damages from 14 parties, mostly from the Singapore Democratic Party, for remarks made in the latest issue of SDP's party newspaper, The New Democrat.

*** WP's Simple Message To Singaporeans
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/114118.asp>
Tor Ching Li, Today

Workers' Party chief Low Thia Khiang has a simple message for all Singaporeans: You have a choice. Now, give us a chance.

[Election Talks]

*** Please Read... You Meddling Kids...
<http://mortichro.livejournal.com/6374.html>
Mortichro

So far the government has been recruiting Malay MPs into their league. These MPs are in the game now... they're playing with the big boys now. Yet these Malay MPs are given non important appointments rather than an important appointment like finance or foreign. Why? Becuase we can't be trusted.

*** Can Singapore Continue To Survive?
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/04/can-singapore-continue-to-survive.html>
See Leong Kit, Singapore Election Watch

*** High Cost Of Homes/Cars/Education
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/04/high-cost-of-homescarseducation.html>
Singapore Election Watch

*** MM's TV Dialogue With Young Singaporeans
<http://theden06.blogspot.com/2006/04/april-21-2006-mms-tv-dialogue-with.html>
The Buzz

We ought to be proud of government that thinks long term.

*** Bad Political Move
<http://chemgen.blogspot.com/2006/04/bad-political-move.html>
Chemical Generation Singapore

The MIW's insistence to further showe the SDP is only going to make the latter gain sympathy votes.

*** Age Of Internet And General Election
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2006/04/age-of-internet-and-general-election.html>
My Singapore News

We now have blogs and forums and we can either make ourselves useful to everyone or just waste our time talking aimlessly.

*** Election Disjuncture
<http://dansong.blogspot.com/2006/04/election-disjuncture.html>
Bend To The Wind

I hope that my fellow citizens will vote not for want of the old concert like amiddle-aged remorse harking to his or her lost youth. The good years belong to the past and we must confront the challenges that we have today.

*** Successful Politicians Always Fight The Last Election
<http://szemeng.blogspot.com/2006/04/successful-politicans-always-fight.html>
Sze Meng Soon, Random Thoughts On Public Policies, Governance And Politics

*** SDP: No Need For Wayang, Just Answer Questions On NKF Scandal
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/04/sdp-no-need-for-wayang-just-answer.html>
Chee Soon Juan, Singapore Election Watch

No one can say that the SDP had not brought this matter up before.

*** LHL Hypocrisy
<http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2006/04/lhl-hypocrisy.html>
Singapore Election Watch

"There is no policy too sensitive to question, and no subject so taboo that you cannot even mention it." -- DPM Lee Hsien Loong, Straits Times, 17 Jan 2000.

*** Go Opposition!
<http://jloo.livejournal.com/660173.html>
jloo

Is this what you call a fair race? So what if your party win? It isn't very honourable, using state funds to carry out your propagandic campaigns. It's state funds, not party funds.

[News]

*** Letter Reveals Kuan Yew Agreed To Bridge
<http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/50114>
Ng Ling Fong, Malaysiakini

"If Singapore has earlier agreed to the bridge be built as disclosed in my pervious press conference, and assuming Singapore changed their mind where there were some letters and minutes of meeting post 2003 that Singapore has changed its mind and do not agree the bridge to be built, what should be Malaysia's response? Very simple, we stop the negotiation, isn't it?"

*** Pure Theatre... Nothing To Be Ashamed Of
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/204340/1/.html>
Teo Hwee Nak, Today