[MyAppleMenu] Apr 20, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Apr 20 13:15:01 EDT 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Macs Vs PCs: Debate Between Computers Stirs Up On Campus
<http://www.wtamu.edu/prairie/2006/20060420/s884.shtml>
Beau Waldrop, The Prairie

One of the longest running complaints heard from students continues to be the use of Macintosh computers in the classroom, instead of PCs.

*** PortalPlayer Says Product Not Picked For iPod Use
<http://today.reuters.com/investing/financeArticle.aspx?type=marketsNews&storyID=2006-04-20T010320Z_01_WEN4965_RTRIDST_0_TECH-PORTALPLAYER-URGENT.XML>
Reuters

*** Lack Of A New iPod Model Hits Apple
<http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12394759/>
Richard Waters, Financial Times

A lack of new iPod models in the first quarter of this year and hte impact of its shift to using Intel processors in all of its computer models led to lower sales at Apple in the first quarter than most analysts had expected. However, the company's earnings were stronger than forecasts had suggested thanks to falling component costs, rising software sales and lower expenses than had been expected from the shift to Intel.

*** Second Cupertino Campus
<http://chrissaribay.com/2006/04/second-cupertino-campus.html>
Chris Saribay, Irrelevant Ramblings

I've uploaded a QuickTime version for you all to watch [the Cupertino's City Council meeting].

*** Apple Acknowledges Intel Hiccup; Wanted: Universal Binaries
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/19/apple_q2_2006_earnings/>
Andrew Orlowski, The Register

"Our sales team didn't discourage customers from waiting until the Intel models arrive."

*** Apple Warns Partners Of iPod Imposters
<http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/06/04/19/apple.warns.of.fake.ipods/>
ipodnn

Apple last month began notifying service partners that some companies are illegally manufacturingdigital music players which appear remarkably similar to its own varius iPod models,a dn are attempting to sell them to unsuspecting buyers.

*** Has Apple Purposely Slowed MacBook Pro Graphics?
<http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=186100231&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News>
Gregg Keizer, TechWeb

*** Apple CEO Says Plans New Campus In California
<http://yahoo.reuters.com/stocks/QuoteCompanyNewsArticle.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060419:MTFH78058_2006-04-19_19-13-19_N19248480&symbol=AAPL.O&rpc=44>
Reuters

Apple is planning to build a new, 50-arce campus near its present headquarters in Cupertino, Steve Jobs said. "What's happened at Apple is that our business has basically tripled in the last five or six years."

*** Apple Misses On Revenue, But Earnings Strong
<http://news.com.com/2100-1047_3-6062917.html?part=rss&tag=6062917&subj=news>
Tom Krazit, CNET News.com

Apple's second-quarter revenue increased 34 percent compared with last year, it announced Wednesday, but Wall Street was looking for more.

[Opinion]

*** Compressed Music: To Lose or Not To Lose
<http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18837699%255E11869,00.html>
Stephen Dawson, Herald Sun

*** Apple's Switch-Hit Homer
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/apr2006/tc20060420_719591.htm>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

First-quarter figures suggest that 2006 may be a very big year, thanks to Windows users swapping their hardware.

*** jTrust Us. Apple's Policy
<http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200604/msg00121.html>
Brad J. Cox, Interesting People

More interesting to me is Apple's apparent lack of interest in secure disposal of private data on dead drives, and the lack of easy options for computer users with a hard drive failure.

*** Apple Customer Service Needs Shining
<http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/customer-service/apple-customer-service-needs-shining-167941.php>
Consumerist

"I'll never buy an Apple product again."

[Review]

*** Be The Maestro Of The House, With A Remote
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/20/technology/20pogue.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
David Pogue, New York Times

Will such an elegant and well-engineered wireless sound system make you feel truly rich? Only until the novelty wears off.

*** Apple Remote Desktop 3
<http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/story/0,10801,110664,00.html>
Yuval Kossovsky, Computerworld

ARD 3 brings this application to the level of other commercially available asset management and remote support applications.

*** DEVONagent 2.0: Web Search Application Provides Powerful Tools For Finding Information
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/04/reviews/devonagent2/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Lee Sherman, Macworld

It's simple to use while at the same time providing the kind of industrial-strength search capability once reserved for academia.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft's New Brain
<http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/05/01/8375454/index.htm>
David Kirkpatrick, Fortune

Brutal competition. A stock going nowhere. Microsoft is in crisis, so Bill Gates has unleashed his new hire, software genius Ray Ozzie, to remake the company -- and conquer the web.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Google In China: The Big Disconnect
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/23/magazine/23google.html?ex=1303444800&en=9721027e105631bf&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Clive Thompson, New York Times

What the Chinese really want from the internet. And what companies like Google can, and can't, do about it.

*** Tech Industry Attacks State Anti-RFID Laws
<http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6062985.html?part=rss&tag=6062985&subj=news>
Anne Broache, CNET News.com

[Linux]

*** Is Linux Ready To Challenge MS Vista?
<http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2006/04/19/215448/IsLinuxreadytochallengeMSVista.htm>
Eric Doyle, Computer Weekly

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[World]

*** Confronting The New Misanthropy
<http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/0000000CB021.htm>
Frank Furedi, Spiked

The big question today is not whether humans will survive the twenty-first century, but whether our faith in humanity will survive it.

[Life]

*** The Latest Trend In Titless? We Can't Print It
<http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2006/04/19/the_latest_trend_in_titleswe_cant_print_it/>
James Sullivan, Boston Globe

If Mark Twain once said that every household should have a room to swear in, these days the habit is completely out of the closet.

*** China's New Home Life
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/20/garden/20china.html>
Elaine Louie, New York Times

Guan Yi, a self-taught architect, is one of a group of artists and designers with varying levels of formal training who are changing the definition of the Chinese house one idiosyncratic project at a time.

*** Edible Bouquets: Giving That Special Person A Taste Of Your Feelings
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/foodwine/2002938623_ediblebouquet19.html>
Stephanie Dunnewind, Seattle Times

When flowers don't seem quite right for the occasion, givers can opt for a growing number of bouquets that are both beautiful and edible.

*** This Is My Last Entry: Why I Shut Down My Blog
<http://www.slate.com/id/2140095/>
Sarah Hepola, Slate

Somewhere between the bedsheets and 6 a.m., I realized something: Blogging wasn't helping me write; it was keeping me from it.

[EOF]

*** Are You A Poet And Don't Know It?
<http://www.calendarlive.com/printedition/calendar/cl-et-kidthur20apr20,0,7808318.story?coll=cl-calendar>
Los Angeles Times

We asked kids to finish popular nursery rhymes. Here are some of them.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[GE06]

*** Fare Revision Delay Not An Election Move: Transport Minister
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/204054/1/.html>
May Wong, Channel NewsAsia

Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong says the Public Transport Council's decision to defer its fare revision deadline is not an election move, as suggested by some.

*** Singapore General Election: Nomination Day On April 27, Polling Day On May 6
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/204032/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The Singapore government has announced that Nomination Day for the 2006 General Election will be on April 27 and Polling Day will be on May 6.

*** Singapore Parliament Dissolved, Paving Way For General Election
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/204025/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Singapore President S R Nathan, on the advice of the Prime Minister, has dissolved Parliament. This means the Writ of Election will be issued soon after, paving the way for a Nomination date to be set, and a general election to be called.

*** 'Losers' As Nominated MPs?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/113682.asp>
Lin Yanqin, Today

*** Overseas Voting Rules Gazetted
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/113699.asp>
Today

*** With Durai Charged, How Far Does The Legal Gag Order Extend?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/113678.asp>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

The problem nowarises as it is unlawful to publicly comment on a case while it is still under judgment -- otherwise known as sub judice, in legalese.

*** SDA Sugests Constitutional Change To Allow Nominated Ministers
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/203902/1/.html>
May Wong, Channel NewsAsia

This is so that residents, especially those in Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC, do not have to be afraid that a minister and PAP MPs are not returned to power.

[News]

*** NKF Won't Be Prosecuted Under Foreign Workers Act
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/204051/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

In a statement, MOM says its investigations show there is sufficient evidence to charge the NKF for making false declarations when applying for work permits, but not enough to press criminal charges against specific persons or key officers within the organisation.However, since the NKF has been reconstituted and the cost of answering the charges and paying the fines will have to be borne out of donor funds, the decision was made not to prosecute it.

*** Scrapping Of Bridge Right Move To Avoid Legal Risks
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=192637>
Rozlinda Yahya, Bernama

The government made the right decision in scrapping plans to build a bridge to replace the Johor Causeway, at least from the legal aspect, two experts on international law said Thursday.

*** RP Teaches Singapoe How To Handle Protests
<http://news.inq7.net/nation/index.php?index=1&story_id=73141>
Luige A. del Puerto, Philippine Daily Inquirer

Singapore is seeking the expert advice of the Philippine National Police in crowd control and management. The tiny city-state wanted to learn how to deal with protesters when the International Monetary Fund-World Bank conferences are held in the island in September.

*** Singapore Air Unions Agree To Peg Some Staff Bonuses To Co Performance - Report
<http://www.forbes.com/work/feeds/afx/2006/04/19/afx2682494.html>
AFX

Staff unions at Singapore Airlines and units Singapore Airport Terminals Service (SATS) and SIA Engineering have agreed to peg the bulk of their bonuses to the performance of the group and a smaller amount to individual company performances, the Straits Times newspaper quoted union officials as saying.

*** Kit Siang And Anwar Praise PM
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/4/20/nation/14008159&sec=nation>
The Star

It took courage for Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi to call off the bridge project, said opposition leader Lim Kit Siang. The DAP MP for Ipoh Timur, however, said that the nation had the right to know when and why the government changed its mind about the bridge.

[Opinion]

*** A Bridge Too Far - Not Bridge That's Crooked
<http://bolehtalk.blogspot.com/2006/04/bridge-too-far-not-bridge-thats.html>
BolehTalk

There is more to the intrigue and nonsense that have been unfolding.

*** Yet Another Red Herring
<http://www.malaysia-today.net/loonyMY/2006/04/yet-another-red-herring.htm>
raja Petra Kamarudin, Malaysia Today

I am not opposed to Malaysia having secret military alliances with the US... But why is it we grant the US so much concessions but when it comes to Singapore we are so uncompromising? Or is this thingy with Singapore just a sandiwara (staged) meant to fan the sentiments of the Malay nationalists and unite the Malays under Umno?

*** Will The Japanese Empress Meet The Homeless Woman At The National Library?
<http://puppytoilettraining.blogspot.com/2006/04/288-will-japanese-empress-meet.html>
Toilet Traiing, House Training Puppies

This was the first time I met a SIngaporean homeless lady.

*** Much A-Bridge About Nothing
<http://jamespeare.livejournal.com/147824.html>
Jamespeare

The Malaysia-SIngapore "bridge to replace causeway" issue explained in 30 seconds...

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]