[MyAppleMenu] Apr 13, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Apr 13 13:15:01 EDT 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** States Seek Levies On Digital-Media Downloads
<http://news.com.com/2009-1022_3-6059914.html?part=rss&tag=6059914&subj=news>
Declan McCullagh and Annie Broache, CNET News.com

Internet shoppers accustomed to tax-free purchases from Apple's ITunes Music Store soon may be in for an unpleasant surprise.

*** Aperture Update Brings Intel Support, Lower Price
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/04/13/aperture/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

The new version of Aperture dramatically improved RAW image rendering, according to Apple.

*** Apple To Report Strong Quarter - Analyst
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=14356&Page=1&pagePos=6>
Macworld UK

*** iPod Vending Machines Land At Airports, Hotels
<http://www.techweb.com/wire/ebiz/185300867%3bjsessionid=V54B4YOUBA2QMQSNDBNSKH0CJUMEKJVN>
Laurie Sullivan, TechWeb

*** The Sims 2 Goes Universal
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/04/12/sims/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

*** Music Labels Get Nickel And Dimed
<http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/12/news/companies/coinstar/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote>
CNN/Money

Change counting firm Coinstar will accept coins for iTunes gift cards and Virgin Digital eCertificates.

*** Apple To Benefit From Changing PC-Buying Habits
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=14355>
Macworld UK

Consumer-focused technology firms such as Apple seem set to reap a rich harvest as buying habits change.

*** BMW Owners Get iPod As Co-Pilot
<http://news.com.com/2061-10801_3-6060383.html?part=rss&tag=6060383&subj=news>
Leslie Katz, CNET News.com

BMW announced the debut of a new interface for iPod that will enable integration of the music player in the newest generation of beemers.

[Opinion]

*** Do iPods Mean The End Of Tolerance?
<http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2006-04-13/goods_next.php>
Joseph Wilson, Now Magazine

Critics say cable on demand and iPods promote selfishness, but they can make us more creative, too.

*** iLove My Mac
<http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=3601&IssueNum=149>
Natalie Nichols, Los Angeles CityBeat

As a Mac fan, I've often imagined Apple ruling the planet. But would the sacrifice be worth it?

*** MacBook Pro: The First Week
<http://www.speaklikeageek.com/index.php/macbook-pro-the-first-week/>
Speak Like A Geek

The first thing that became obvious once the machine was up and running is that it's smoking fast.

*** I Bought A Mac Mini
<http://www.workingwith.me.uk/blog/review/i_bought_a_mac_mini>
Neil Crosby

What immediately jumped out at me as being great about the system? Well, for a start, it's incredibly quiet.

*** Apple Should Succumb To iPod Porn Temptations
<http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000039&cid=gilbert&sid=atmv9JE0pOIQ>
Mark Gilbert, Bloomberg

iPod porn, desirable or not, may prove an irresistable temptation to a more profit-hungry Apple.

[Review]

*** Marriage Of Windows, Macs Is Bliss
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2006-04-12-boot-camp-parallels_x.htm>
Edward C. Baig, USA Today

Boot Camp works so well it reminds me why I prefer Tiger to XP in the first place.

[Sidetrack]

*** Porn In The iTunes Store? When Pigs Fly
Heng-Cheong Leong

Yes, I know hell has frozen over and pigs flew -- quite a few times at One Infinite Loop over the last few years. But I don't think Apple will start selling porn at the iTunes store anytime soon.

Heck, there are certain words that you cannot even engrave on your iPod.

*** Singing In The Valley Of Information
Heng-Cheong Leong

Google finally has a chinese name <http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=42860>: Gu Ge. Literally, it translates to "Valley Song".

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** ABC's Iger Says Music Mess Influenced Decision To Offer Shows Online
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/rss/14326019.htm?source=rss&channel=siliconvalley_rss>
Associated Press

*** Intel Calls For Laptop Standards
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39262905,00.htm>
Vivian Yeo, ZDNet Asia

Consumers would be better served if laptop makers could agree to hardware sandards for laptop components, according to the chipmaker.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** The Manly Myth
<http://www.newsday.com/ny-etman4699083apr13,0,4099497.story>
Justin Davidson, Newsday

What makes a real man? Hollywood and Harvard answer it different ways.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[GE06]

*** SDP Silent Over Making Way For WP To Contest Nee Soon Central
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/202979/1/.html>
Hasnita A. Majid, Channel NewsAsia

[News]

*** Cancellation Of New Bridge Project: Best Decision For The Time Being
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=191473>
Bernama

Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar said Thursday the government's decision to cancel the construction of the new bridge connecting Johor Baharu and Singapore is the best for the time being.

*** Malaysia-Singapore Ties Not Affected By The Bridge Episode
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=191445>
Bernama

The trade and economic ties between Malaysia and Singapore will continue as usual though Malaysia has scrapped plans to continue with the scenic bridge to replace the causeway. International Trade and Industry Minister Datuk Seri Rafidah Aziz said she is confident of this going by the fact the relations between both sides remained intact despite a number of outstanding bilateral issues.

*** Singapore Accedes To The Kyoto Protocol
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=191431>
Bernama

*** Bridge Issue Steals The Headlines In Singapore Newspapers
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=191413>
Bernama

*** Bridge Project Dies Unborn
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/112577.asp>
Vinita Ramani, Today

Singapore's Foreign Minister George Yeo told reporters that he was informed of the Malaysian decision at about 1pm yesterday. "This has nothing to do with victory or defeat. Whatever we work on should be to our mutual benefit. And we negotiated on the full bridge on the basis of mutual benefit for both sides. And I am quite sure we will be able to find other areas where we can cooperate to our mutual benefit."

*** The 'No Go' Bridge; PM: We Took Into Account The People's Sentiments
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Thursday/Frontpage/20060413072119/Article/index_html>
Hamidah Atan and Deborah Loh, New Straits Times

"The government's decision was made after taking into account the voices and sentiments of the Malaysian people, especially on the supply of sand and airspace." It is understood that the cabinet was briefted on legal opinions on the agreement to build the original Causeway. The view was that either way -- straight or "scenic" bridge -- the consent of both countries was needed before the Causeway could be demolished to make way for the new bridge.

*** Contractor Won't Build Bridge, But Will Finish CIQ Complex
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/4/13/nation/13947810&sec=nation>
The Star

Following the decision to cancel the bridge project, Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi asked Gerbang Perdana Sdn Bhd, the conractor of the "scenic bridge", to stop all preparatory works on the project and to concentrate on completing the new Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) complex. This would include building roads connecting the complex to the Causeway.

*** Scenic Bridge Saga; Ghani: We Accept The Decision
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Thursday/Frontpage/20060413075714/Article/index_html>
New Straits Times

Johor "accepts entirely" the government's decision to scrap the bridge project to replace the Causeway. Menteri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman said the government had the prerogative to decide ont he fate of hte bridge as it was a federal project.

*** Hopes Of Many Dashed
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/4/13/nation/13948255&sec=nation>
The Star

The scrapping of the much-touted "scenic" bridge has shattered the hopes of many Malaysians. They said the effort, time and money spent on the proposed bridge had all been wasted.

*** Scenic Bridge Saga: Negotiations Will Stop
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Thursday/Frontpage/20060413075552/Article/index_html>
Shamini Darshni, New Straits Times

"Whatever negotiations we have on the bridge will stop. Whether negotiations on other matters will stop, that's a different matter... We will continue working on our relationship with [Singapore] in other areas."

*** IDA Fines mTouche, Issues Warnings To Telcos
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/112585.asp>
Lin Yanqin, Today

The Infocom Development Authority (IDA) issued a stern warning to the three mobile operators to resolve billing disputes relating to third-party mobile-content providers, or they "will not hesitate to impose further regulatory measures."

*** New Cab Firms Fined Again For Call Service
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,384855,00.html?>
Karamjit Kaur, Straits Times

Trans-Cab, Smart fined 4th fine for not meeting LTA service standards in audit.

*** Some Singaporean Parents Sending Special Needs Children To American School
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/202873/1/.html>
Joanne Leow, Channel NewsAsia

It is estimated that half of the over 150 Singaporean children are in the Singapore American School to take advantage of its Special Services Programme which helps them with speech and language learning by using classroom guidance and individual counselling.

*** Singapore Woos Top Scientists With New Labs, Money
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/rss/14327044.htm?source=rss&channel=siliconvalley_rss>
Associated Press

Singapore's siren song is growing increasingly more irresistible for scientists, especially stem cell researchers who feel stifled by the U.S. government's restrictions on their field.

[Opinion]

*** The Scenic Bridge No More
<http://thewormiepage.blogspot.com/2006/04/scenic-bridge-no-more.html>
A Worm's Perspectives...

This episode hopefully has taught the leaders that we must react with our minds and not our hearts.

*** Will Singapore's Ban On Political Blogs Work?
<http://internetinasia.typepad.com/blog/2006/04/will_singapores.html>
The Internet In Asia

*** Very Costly Mistakes
<http://malaysiawatch.blogspot.com/2006/04/very-costly-mistakes.html>
H J Angus, Malaysia Watch

Both projects have cost the nation dearly and have made us look like international fools in the process.

*** Scenic Bridge No More
<http://cbooboo.blogspot.com/2006/04/scenic-bridge-no-more.html>
Charlie - The Golden Retriever

Good bye and good riddance to the so-called "scenic bridge" to replace "our half" of the Causeway.

*** Scenic Bridge Saga: This Was The Only Option Open To The Government
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Thursday/Frontpage/20060413075805/Article/index_html>
Brendan Pereira, New Straits Times

No matter what spin is put on this episode, one fact is indisuptable: Both countries have left the table as losers.

*** Why All Singapoerans Know Is 'Can Or Not'
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/112567.asp>
Mohd Rosle Ahmad, Today

The can-or-not attitude -- instead of the can-do attitude -- is the rule for a majority of us, whether or not the restrictions are real or perceived.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]