[MyAppleMenu] Apr 10, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Apr 10 13:15:01 EDT 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[Opinion]

*** Dare I Say This Aloud? Boot Camp is A Gimmick
<http://news.com.com/2010-1041_3-6059118.html?part=rss&tag=6059118&subj=news>
Charles Cooper, CNET News.com

When Windows users get a gander of the Mac, how many will remain loyal to Ctrl-Alt-Delete?

*** Running The Tablet PC OS On An iMac
<http://www.tabletpcblogs.com/blogs/lorenheiny/archive/2006/04/09/8279.aspx>
Inkineer

*** There's Nothing Superior About Apple Hardware
<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30870>
Doug Mohney, The Inquirier

A better looking case and ditching all the legacy ports makes for more elegant design, but superior performance isn't a part of that mix -- unless you're comparing it to Apple's last-generation hardware.

*** Boot Camp
<http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2006/4/8/3524>
John Siracusa, Ars Technica

I want Leopard to include virtualization too, but [Apple's Boot Camp announcement] doesn't support that outcome. It doesn't preclude it either, of course. it's completely neutral.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** This Boring Headline Is Written For Google
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/09/weekinreview/09lohr.html?ei=5088&en=fd2082be97aa034d&ex=1302235200&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1144598958-wOrsHajD4NEopghI1SUjdw>
Steve Lohr, New York Times

Journalists over the years have assumed they were writing their headlines and articles for two audiences -- fickle readers and nitpicking editors. Today, there is a third important arbiter of their work: the software programs that scour the web, analyzing and ranking online news article on behalf of internet search engines like Google, Yahoo and MSN.

*** IBM Bakes Security Into Processors
<http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-6059276.html?part=rss&tag=6059276&subj=news>
Joris Evers, CNET News.com

Researchers at IBM have come up with a way to hard wire encryption technology into a microprocessor, promising a more secure way to store data.

*** For A Few Tech Stars, Time For A Second Act
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/09/business/mutfund/09optim.html>
James Pethokoukis, New York Times

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[World]

*** The Iran Plans
<http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060417fa_fact>
Seymour M. Hersh, New Yorker

Would President Bush go to war to stop Tehran from getting the bomb?

[Life]

*** When Will We Stop Saying 'First Woman To _____'?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/09/weekinreview/09abramson.html>
Jill Abramson, New York Times

There will now be a female solo anchor. But there are stil few women successfully leading the cornerstone institutions of our society. Maybe Katie Couric will become one of them. But unlike Walter Cronkite, I don't envy her.

*** Where Have All The Strivers Gone?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/09/books/review/09finder.html>
Joseph Finder, New York Times

Imagine if literary novelists stopped writing about love and sex. We'd notice, wouldn't we? Yet that's exactly what happened to ambition, which used to be one of their great subjects.

*** Eat This Book
<http://www.latimes.com/features/magazine/west/la-tm-neil15apr09,1,669467.story?coll=la-headlines-west>
Dan Neil, Los Angeles Times

It's a pity street fights don't end with spelling bees or the consummation of a hot date doesn't depend on proper conjugation. Studies in literature are their own reward. However, fries are usually free.

*** Pro-Life Nation
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/09/magazine/09abortion.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Jack Hitt, New York Times

There are other countries int he world that, like El Salvador, completely ban abortion. El Salvador, however, has not only a total ban on abortion but also an active law-enforcement apparatus -- the police, investigators, medical spies, forensic vagina inspectors and a special division of the prosecutor's office responsible for Crimes Against Minors and Women, a unit charged with capturing, trying and incarcerating an unusual kind of criminal. Like the woman I was waiting to meet.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[GE06]

*** Line-Up: Opposition Bides Time To Unveil
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/111949.asp>
Leong Wee Keat, Today

[News]

*** Lee Ao Starts Uproar In Singapore On Television Show
<http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/04/09/1556093.htm>
China Post

Singaporeans are people of "poor seed," Lee pointed out. That meant an inferior race.

*** Singapore's GDP Expands At Annual 1.2% Pace In First Quarter
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000080&sid=aaJiMvroIsaE&refer=asia>
Bloomberg

Singapore's expanding economy is fueling jobs growth and wage increases, boosting consumer spending, economists said.

*** Singapore New Nighlife Hub
<http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=140499&Sn=WORL&IssueID=29021>
Gulf Daily News

Exchanging its nany gloves for dancing boots, the city's freer image is already paying off as leading overseas dance clubs move in to Singapore's expanding scene.

*** 'Sugar Ban' Notice Not Up, Singaporeans Unaware Of Ruling
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/4/10/nation/13918037&sec=nation>
Farik Zolkepli, The Star

Asked about the matter, state Customs director Sarmin Md Hussin said the department would put up the signage before April 21, when those who bring sugar out of the country would be fined.

*** Singapore's Reluctance To Accept MyKad Puzzling
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Monday/National/20060410080623/Article/index_html>
Hamidah Atan, New Straits Times

The National Registration Department is puzzled over Singapore's reluctance to accept the MyKad as a travel document when its use in Brunei had proven successful.

[Opinion]

*** Stupid Face
<http://bumiku.blogspot.com/2006/04/stupid-face.html>
And So Froth

Becuase you think Singaporeans are idiots who fear the dark, who are totally led by their media, who cannot adapt and take precautions,a nd who cannot see Malaysia is beautiful despite its flaws. So Zam, look in the mirror and shut up already.

*** NS And Other Things
<http://zut13.livejournal.com/35104.html>
zut13

Shame on you our community leaders for not standing up for our rights. For not challenging the gahmen policy in racial allocation in NS... How dare [PAP] criticize the manifesto of a party for wanting to abolish racial quotas in HDB when the most important racial quota shoul dbe at work where we actually interact with our colleagues.

*** General Election: Engaging Issues
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2006/04/general-election-engaging-issues.html>
My Singapore News

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu