[MyAppleMenu] Apr 7, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Apr 7 13:15:01 EDT 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** .Mac Syncing Down
<http://www.macuser.com/internet/mac_syncing_down.php>
Derik DeLong, MacUser

*** Bot Camp's Developer Dilemma
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060406.gttwdeveloper06/BNStory/Technology/home>
Omar El Akkad, Globe And Mail

Apple's move to support the use of Windows XP on its Mac computers leaves developers with a tough decision: Ramp up development of Mac-compatible software or give up on it altogether.

*** Cocky Carriers Dismiss Apple As 'Niche'
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/06/over_the_air_downloads_apple/>
Gavin Clarke, The Register

Wireless carriers have hinted at plans to challenge Apple's iTunes and iPod market lead by bundling music from their download services with videos and ringtones for cell phones.

*** Parallels Offers OS X Virtualization
<http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/04/06/parallels.workstation.21/>
MacNN

[Opinion]

*** Top Reasons To Run Windows On A Mac... Or Not!
<http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/001809.html>
Harry McCracken, PC World

*** Apple Vs. Me
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=170>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

This case is not about me, it's not about Apple, and it's not about the technology industry. It's about the First Amendment.

*** BootCamp Is Nice, But I Want Virtualization!
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/4/6/3489>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

*** Macs Running Windows Won't Shift Balance
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/14278449.htm>
Mike Langberg, San Jose Mercury News

*** Windows: The New Classic
<http://daringfireball.net/2006/04/windows_the_new_classic>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

This is a move of supreme confidence -- Apple relishes the comparison between Mac OS X and Windows XP, and Microsoft has shown enough of Vista via its widely-available beta seeds that Apple quite obviously isn't afrid of that comparison, either.

*** BootCamp: Apple's Insanely Bad Idea
<http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/bootcamp-apples-insanely-bad-idea/>
Chris Seibold, Apple Matters

Apple is trading a little short-term gain for a long-term negative.

*** Gaming With Boot Camp: This Changes Everything
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/gameroom/2006/04/bootcampgames/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

People who keep an eye on the Mac game market are worried about this turn of events, and from my perspective, rightfully so.

[Wintel]

*** Large Loss Cuts Shares At Creative
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/04/06/bloomberg/sxcreative.php>
Andrea Tan, Bloomberg News

Shares of Creative, which has been losing in a battle with Apple's iPod, fell the most in nine months after the company reported its largest operating loss in at least five years.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Death To User-Generated Content
<http://www.powazek.com/2006/04/000576.html>
Powazek

Can I make a suggestion? Let's all stop using the phrase "user-generated content." I'm serious. It's a dispicable, terrible term. Let's deconstruct it.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** The Joys Of Rising From The Cultural Dead: Are HBO Shows Best Experienced On DVD?
<http://www.slate.com/id/2139457/>
Sam Anderson, Slate

HBO's recent evolution from a place where you could watch Strange Brew 12 times a day into a gushing fountainhead of televisual high art has made my life complicated.

*** The Dirty Word In 43 Down: A New York Times Crossword Gaffe
<http://www.slate.com/id/2139453/>
Jesse Sheildlower, Slate

So, how did "scumbag" make it into the puzzle? Simple: No one realized it could be offensive. Evidence suggests that many people, especially younger speakers, are unaware of the sexual meaning.

*** Dancers As Living Archives
<http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?id=vmrhcmx63dz5mwb8t9zl8r2ch50w7tt2>
Martha Ullman West, Chronicle Of Higher Education

Dancers are the living archives of dance history. Long after they leave the stage, in their minds and muscles they hold the memory of form, rhythm, mood, and intent, constituting an irreplaceable resource for performances, historians, and frequently the choreographers themselves.

*** The Last Picture Show
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/07/opinion/07ephron.html?ex=1302062400&en=f2eecc9a9f63eaf7&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Nora Ephron, New York Times

Afterward, on my way out of the theater, I asked if I could speak to the manager. She turned out to be on maternity leave. I asked if I could speak to the assistant manager. There was no assistant manager on dutyr. So I ended up with my old friend, the ticker taker. I told her that the last reel of the movie we had just seen was out of sync and that they might want to fix it before the next show began. She promised me they would.

*** When You're Late For The Overture
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/07/arts/music/07late.html?ex=1302062400&en=2c26a277e792cdb2&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Daniel J. Wakin, New York Times

Late-comer policies are surprisingly varied, and considerable thought is given to them.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[GE06]

*** New Faces Comment On Podcasts And New Blood
<http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=42287>
Straits Times

PAP candidates avoid questions about podcast ban during elections.

[News]

*** Goldman, Citigroup Predict Shift In Singapore's Currency Policy
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000080&sid=aRrIir6OACiQ&refer=asia>
Bloomberg

Goldman Sachs and Citigroup expect Singapore's central bank next week to say it will allow its currency to strengthen faster to fend off inflation as expansion of theeconomy accelerates.

*** Singapore's Central Bank To Keep Tight Monetary Policy
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/4/6/apworld/20060406141054&sec=apworld>
Associated Press

*** English Medium Main Attraction For Parents
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/4/7/nation/13599459&sec=nation>
The Star

The medium of instruction in Singapore schools is the main reason why many Malaysian parents willingly pay more to send their children across the Causeway to study.

*** Tight Security Plan For Flyer
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/4/7/asia/13891550&sec=asia>
Straits Times

Expect security at Singapore's giant observation wheel -- The Singapore Flyer -- to be as tight as passenger screening at Changi Airport.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]