[MyAppleMenu] Apr 1, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Apr 1 13:15:01 EST 2006

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** The Appeal Of Apple
<http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1744571,00.html>
Bobbie Johnson, The Guardian

It has flirted with disaster but the firm that changed the way we work is 30 today.

*** Apple And Microsoft Oddest Of Odd Couples
<http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06091/678598-96.stm>
David Radin, Pittsburg Post-Gazette

*** Apple, Record Labels Divided Over iTunes Pricing
<http://www.nbc11.com/news/8394260/detail.html>
Associated Press

*** iPod Teaching Coke To Sing?
<http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6056629.html>
Reuters

When the grand old man of consumer brands, Coke, found it had lost a little of its shimmer, it turned to the latest brand sensation -- the iPod -- for inspiration.

*** 30 (Well, 24) Years Of Apple Coverage
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1944468,00.asp>
Sascha Segan, PC Magazine

When PC Magazine ran our first cover story on Apple, IBM was the upstart, Apple IIs dominated the personal-computing landscape, and we focused exclusivel on the IBM PC platform.

*** Apple Tunes In To World Domination
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/apple-tunes-in-to-world-domination/2006/03/31/1143441337885.html>
Alan Kohler, The Age

Apple's iTunes music store seems to be rapidly becoming one of the most powerful retailers in the history of the world.

*** Michael Mattioli: "Building Green" On PBS
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/mattioli/>
Bija Gutoff, Apple

The cost-effective Mac-based editing solution made it feasible for Contreras and Mattioli to conceive, create -- and fund -- the show themselves.

*** iTunes Almost Saves The Music Industry
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=14253>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

*** 30 Years Of Apple: Assessing Apple's Impact
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/03/31/30impact/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Cyrus Farivar, Macworld

Everyone from former employees to industry watchers agrees that Apple has had a profound impact on technology, innovating and influencing not only how we use computers but the what we use them for.

[Opinion]

*** Looking To A Fruitful Future For Apple
<http://comment.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020505,39260602,00.htm>
ZDNet UK

So come on Steve, Apple's 30 and the time is now ripe to take the enterprise seriously. If you do, you might just find yourself pushing at an open door.

*** iHate iTunes
<http://www.tuftsdaily.com/media/storage/paper856/news/2006/03/29/Viewpoints/Ihate.Itunes-1762903.shtml?norewrite200603312305&sourcedomain=www.tuftsdaily.com>
Stephie Coplan, The Tufts Daily

When I downloaded iTunes onto my computer, I sold my soul to Apple.

[Review]

*** Business Accounting Software: MYOB Provides Full-Featured Accounting For Large And Small Businesses, But QuickBooks Lags
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/reviews/accounting/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

*** Wildlife Tycoon: Venture Africa
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/reviews/wildtycoon/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Wildlife Tycoon: Venture Africa is a strategy game that places an emphasis on understanding nature, not destroying things. It's a nice change of pace!

*** Test Drivers
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/03/drivers/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
James galbraith, Macworld

Will older peripherals continue to work on an Intel-based Macintosh like my applications using the Rosetta emulation technology do, or will their drivers require an update?

[Sidetrack]

*** The Greatest And The Earliest
Heng-Cheong Leong

Just as Apple is building some of the world's most advanced personal computers, someone else in Apple is re-building one of the world's earliest computers, using Lego. Introducing, the Difference Engine <http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/apr06/3217>.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Spot The Dinosaur
<http://www.economist.com/business/displaystory.cfm?story_id=6746815>
The Economist

Microsoft's core business is under threat from online software.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Unhappy Endings
<http://news.ft.com/cms/s/faa339ce-bfb8-11da-939f-0000779e2340.html>
Horatio Clare, Financial Times

Imagine you have written a book detailing your parents' relationship: how they met, married, divided and divorced. With their permission you used their notebooks, diaries and letters to track the course of their lives. You wrote down your conclusions and sold them to a publisher. Then your parents read the book for the first time and told you what they thought of it -- and you. How would you feel? I have an idea, becuase I did exactly that. And I was terrified.

*** Not Tonight Darling, I'm Online
<http://news.ft.com/cms/s/c65a4966-bfbb-11da-939f-0000779e2340.html>
Adrian Turpin, Financial Times

Can it be true that a great swathe of the UK population is spending its spare moments surfing for naked flesh and, if so, what effect might that have on the nation's collective psyche? What does it say about our emotional lives?

*** The Writing Problems Of Visual Thinkers
<http://www.longleaf.net/ggrow/WriteVisual/WriteVisual.html>
Gerald Grow

This exploratory paper pleads for better understanding of the thinking processes that produce such writing problems and the development of new ways of teaching writing that directly address visual thinkers.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[Ramblings]

*** The Journey Is The Reward
Heng-Cheong Leong

Results <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl060401_506.html> are not everything. So what we are no. one, if we simply spent some money and buy ourselves a no. 1 spot. The journey is the reward.

[News]

*** Appeal To Rethink Plans On Airport
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Saturday/National/20060401073923/Article/index_html>
New Straits Times

The State Government has sent an appeal letter to the Federal Government to reconsider the decision to drop Senai Airport as a main hub for Malaysia Airlines under its new route rationalisation plan.

*** Lift Upgrading: No More Ad Hoc Nod
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/110363.asp>
Today

So why was one lift upgrading proposal six years ago approved, while another application made one year later was rejected?

[Opinion]

*** The Need For Checks And Balances
<http://leounheort.blogspot.com/2006/03/need-for-checks-and-balances.html>
Words Of The Lionheart

*** Alternative Service To Singapore
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/4/1/focus/13836441&sec=focus>
Azizah Ujang, KTM Bhd, The Star

This rescheduling is unavoidable as KTM Bhd is undertaking a track rehabilitation project between Seremban and Singapore.

*** The PAP Should Lift Whip For All Its MPs To Vote Freely In Parliament
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,381830,00.html?>
Chia Hern Keng, Straits Times

It makes one question whether Parliament is really needed under such circumstances.

*** Nothing Stands In The Way Of SCDF
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,382057,00.html?>
N. Subhas, Singapore Civil Defence Force, Straits Times

SCDF officers attending to emergencies will, if necessary, remove any obstruction that hinders their life-saving mission.

*** Why Singapore Shouldn't Become One-Party State
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,382054,00.html?>
Lena Soh Kwee Kim, Straits Times

*** Govt Should Move To OpenDocument Format
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,382045,00.html?>
Koh Choon Lin, Straits Times