[MyAppleMenu] Mar 13, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Mar 13 13:15:00 EST 2005

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Shuffles? Pink Minis? Get Ready For iPod Nation
<http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1110709277232820.xml>
Chris Torres, Patriot-News

Once spotted occasionally among big city technophiles, the mobile music boxes are popping up all over the midstate -- in coffeehouse crowds, on walking trails, in the back seat of Mom's minivan.

*** Play Your iPods For The Masses
<http://entertainment.news-leader.com/today/20050313-PlayyouriPodsfo.html>
Kyle Munson, Des Monies Register

Clubs are letting people plug-in and entertain the crowd, thanks to audio technology.

*** How The iPod Ran Circles Around The Walkman
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/13/business/worldbusiness/13digi.html>
Rnadall Stross, New York Times

The reach of a company with the optimal mix of assets can extend in all directions -- and right through the front door of its competitors.

[Opinion]

*** Why Does Apple Snub Linux Users?
<http://channels.lockergnome.com/linux/archives/20050312_why_does_apple_snub_linux_users.phtml>
Lockergnome

*** iProblem
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/Icon/iProblem/2005/03/10/1110417596684.html>
Peter Cotton, Sydney Morning Herald

I ask why Apple doesn't introduce the mallet as an iPod accesory, just for people who have experiences like mine.

*** The Pits In CherryOS
<http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenblog-archives/000501.html>
DrunkenBlog

I don't think anyone with critical thinking skills above the level of a toaster wouldn't conclude that it's obvious that CherryOS is PearPC with some wrapper code to allow it to run in a way that it's less obvious that it's PearPC, along with piles of other code from other open source projects.

[Review]

*** From The Makers Of iPod
<http://www.silive.com/living/advance/index.ssf?/base/living/1110723486188710.xml>
Molly Raisch, Staten Island Advance

The world of Mac computers may seem foreign to some, but its features are worth the trip.

*** RadioSHARK Is Like A TiVo For Recording Radio
<http://www.syracuse.com/news/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1110533713210150.xml>
Al Fasoldt, Syracuse Post-Standard

Just about everything worked perfectly when I plugged the radioSHARK into my Apple Macintosh.

*** New Spyware Defense Does Double Duty As A Computer Cleaner
<http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA031305.2R.themacguy0313.125e680b3.html>
Paul Vaughn, San Antonio Express-News

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** The Restoration
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17913-2005Mar8.html>
Wells Tower, Washington Post

His childhood home, a place of so many unhappy memories, was falling into ruin. Could he redeem it?

*** The Sky Is Falling
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2005/03/13/the_sky_is_falling/>
Monica Collins, Boston Globe

TV forecasters can hype even a single snowflake. Isn't that what viewers want?

*** The Woman Behind The Centerfolds
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-grabowski11mar13,1,2848249.story?coll=la-headlines-magazine>
Amy Wallace, Los Angeles Times

For 40 years Marilyn Grabowski has defined what's sexy on the pages of Playboy.

*** The Quality Cure?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/13/magazine/13HEALTH.html>
Roger Lowenstein, New York Times

We should focus on improving the quality of care rather than on reducing our consumption of it.

*** Shades Of Black Humor
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/13/magazine/13BLACK.html?>
Alex Witchel, New York Times

Lewis Black, in middle age, is a regular on "The Daily Show" (well, almost), has written his memoirs (up to age 27) and has stand-up gigs all across the country (that's 250 nights a year on a bus). Success (finally) is so great. (Right.)

[EOF]

*** Bad News -- We Are Way Past Our 'Extinct By' Date
<http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1436408,00.html>
Robin McKie, The Observer

After analysing the eradication of millions of ancient species, scientists have found that a mass extinction is due any moment now.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** The Singapore Clones
<http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7169971/site/newsweek/>
Sonia Kolesnikov-Jessop, Newsweek

Temasek started as a novel experiment in state-run investing, but now its success is inspiring copycats.

*** Singapore's Temasek Emerges As An Asian Powerhouse After Regional Expansion
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific_business/view/137105/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's Temasek Holdings is stamping its mark as an Asian powerhouse investor after a trailblazing multi-billion dollar shopping spree in the region over the past two years, analysts say.

*** They Studied For Exams With Wrong Textbooks
<http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/top/story/0,4136,84440,00.html>
Josephine Chew and Tan Hsien Chong, New Paper

St Anthony's convent O-Level slip-up.

*** Singapore Denies Exceeding Entitlement For Flights To Indonesia
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaillatestnews.asp?fileid=20050312142034&irec=6>
Jakarta Post

Singapore carriers have not exceeded their entitlement for flights to Indonesia, and both countries have gained from their air links, authorities said on Saturday.

[Opinion]

*** The Yin And Yang Of Gambling
<http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7168824/site/newsweek/>
Sonia Kolesnikov-Jessop, Newsweek

With Singaporeans already gambling $3.7 billion a year, you might think the decision is a no-brainer. In fact, the odds are but 50-50, largely for fear of the so-called social costs associated with Las Vegas-style gaming.

MyAppleMenu Shuffle
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]