[MyAppleMenu] Jul 31, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jul 31 13:15:00 EDT 2005

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** More Universities Make Laptops A Must For Their Freshmen
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-0507300267jul31,1,676980.story?coll=chi-techtopheds-hed>
Catey Sullivan, Chicago Tribune

There was a time when the most expensive classroom-related items for undergraduates were textbooks. That was then.

*** What's On Your iPod?
<http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050731/NEWS/507310342/1031>
Sky Barsch, Rutland Herald

Here in the Green Mountain State, well-known and less-known residents are slowly but surely catching on to the trned in portable music.

*** iPod People Love Accessories
<http://heraldnet.com/stories/05/07/31/100bus_ipod001.cfm>
Amy Rolph, The Herald

The Apple iPod is becoming a lot like the little black dress of digital music players; in order to make it stylish, you have to have the right accessories.

*** Advances Give Voice To Boom In Recorders
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0507300053jul30,1,4655047.story?coll=chi-business-hed>
David Sharos, Chicago Tribune

Thanks to leaps in technology -- and a slick trick for the iPod -- more people are talking up the modern-day version of the microcassette.

*** Apple Recruiting Sony VAIO Engineers To Build The First Intel PowerBook?
<http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000537052498/>
Peter Rojas, Engadget

A reliable source tells us that Apple has been poaching from Sony.

[Opinion]

*** Knit Your Own iPod Socks
<http://www.geekyinfo.com/2005/07/31/knit-your-own-ipod-socks/>
Geeky Info

*** Yes, One More Dead Mac
<http://veraperez.com/archives/876>
Pedro Vera

Even if it is still under warranty, Apple is going out of its way to make it hard for me to get the iMac fixed.

[Sidetrack]

*** I Wish I'll Never Taste The Feeling...
Heng-Cheong Leong

of watching your Powerbook fall to the ground <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2005/07/how_to_burn_a_p.html>, and the screen shattering.

"Oh shit."

*** The Worst Is The Best
Heng-Cheong Leong

You know what, some of the most entertaining and wonderful writing from Roger Ebert come from reviews of really bad movies. Like this one <http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050727/REVIEWS/50713001>. :-)

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Why Bill Gates Wants 3,000 New Patents
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/31/business/yourmoney/31digi.html?ex=1280462400&en=d1d9b6aeb510698b&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Randall Stross, New York Times

"Abolishing software patents would be a very good thing."

*** Why Teen Queens So Rule
<http://observer.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,6903,1539674,00.html>
Thomas de Zengotita, The Observer

In today's media-saturated age we are all the stars of our own little MeWorlds. No one understands this more clearly than young girls, who are mercilessly attuned to every nuance of language and action... from whether to take a phone call to delivering the perfect putdown.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** Think Global, Eat Local
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-localfood31jul31,1,755689.story?coll=la-headlines-magazine>
Jim Robbins, Los Angeles Times

The sustainable food movement that began with Berkeley chef Alice Waters has blossomed in Portland, Ore. Are its proponents just dreaming? Or is a real revolution underway?

*** The Last Of The Indies
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/31/magazine/31JARMUSCH.html?>
Lynn Hirschberg, New York Times

Although he bristles at the title -- his expression hardens, and his face starts to resemble a cloudy day with tunder threatening -- Jim Jarmusch is the last major truly independent film director in America.

*** Under The Covers
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/31/opinion/31brashares.html?ex=1280462400&en=7fe2e8b98962fa65&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Ann Brashares, New York Times

I don't consider myself particularly prudish or scolding. But "Rainbox Party" did startle me a bit. Because it is extreme, yes, but also because it represents a shift in children's publishing.

*** What We Talk About When We Talk About Editing
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/31/opinion/31shipley.html?ex=1280462400&en=1deb68442ba205f9&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
David Shipley, New York Times

What kind of changes do we suggest -- and why? What kind of changes do we insist on -- and why? When do we stay out of the way? And the hardy perennial: do we edit articles to make them adhere to a particular point of ivew?

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[Opinion]

*** How To Burn A Perfectly Good Sunday
<http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2005/07/how_to_burn_a_p.html>
mr brown

Kena mob.

*** Seeing Red
<http://www.toomanythoughts.org/blog/2005/07/seeing-red.html>
TYM Blogs Too

Note to self: Do not wear favorite red T-shirt to town again until National Day parade rehearsals and the parade itself are over.