[MyAppleMenu] Jul 29, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jul 29 13:15:00 EDT 2005

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** No iPod Tax For Canada
<http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5809117.html>
John Borland, CNET News.com

The Candian Supreme Court won't hear a case involving extra fees for iPods and other MP3 players in that country, ending a dispute over a so-called iPod tax, but rekindling debate over the legality of file swapping.

*** Apple Seeks Retail Space In China
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1208>
Katie Marsal, AppleInsider

The South China Morning Post reported that Apple is looking to open three outlets in heart of Hong Kong.

*** Apple Making Its Way Onto Enterprise Radar
<http://www.macnewsworld.com/rsstory/44935.html>
Jay Lyman, MacNewsWorld

*** Learning Lessons From The Mac
<http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=37481>
Walaika K. Haskins, NewsFactor

The major difference between Apple and Microsoft is the type of consumer that each company perceives its users to be.

*** Russound Multiroom Audio System Now iPod Friendly
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/07/28/russound-multiroom-audio-system-now-ipod-friendly/>
Laurie A. Duncan, Unofficial Apple Weblog

[Opinion]

*** I've Held Off On iPhoto 5.0.4 -- Have You?
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/wlg/7452>
Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network

I didn't really see the need to download a 41MB file to correct a problem that didn't affect me.

*** Apple's Power-User Grab
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/07/27/31OPcurve_1.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

When Apple starts pushing out Intel desktops and notebooks for commercial markets, it has to continue its tradition of designing for its insatiable power users, especially those who have workstation needs and desktop budgets.

*** Choosing Words Carefully
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/28/technology/poguesposts/28POGUES-POSTS.html?ex=1280203200&en=fae0da56ceb7cf7f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
David Pogue, New York Times

If the column's opening paragraph left anyone with the impression that I believe Apple is somehow coasting on existing technologies, let me set the record stragith. Innovation is Apple's heart and soul.

[Wintel]

*** Ballmer Tries To Restore Luster Of Microsoft's Stock
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/28/technology/28cnd-soft.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1122613598-xQTsyxeK88ksUfVh/GobNw>
John Markoff, New York Times

Ballmer said he had had trouble selling the long-term value of Microsoft stock even to the company's own employees.

*** Windows Vista Release Slips To Q4 2006
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/07/28/HNvistaslips_1.html>
Elizabeth Montalbano, IDG News Service

Microsoft exec says the final version will become available in 'holiday' timeframe next year.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** The War Of The Wires
<http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=4232442>
The Economist

Established telecoms companies are fighting an increasingly bitter battle against innovative attackers.

*** Are Scientists Playing God With Frankentrout?
<http://news.com.com/Are+scientists+playing+God+with+Frankentrout/2100-7337_3-5808900.html?part=rss&tag=5808900&subj=news>
Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com

Consumers want bigger fish, so researchers at the USDA's Agricultural Research Service have figured out a way to breed trout that are bigger and ocnsidered more attractive than the regular variety.

*** Instant Outlining Revisited
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2005/07/27.html>
Jon Udell, InfoWorld

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Tech & Science]

*** Why Are Power Lines So Deadly?
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2123556/fr/rss/>
Daniel Engber, Slate

Aren't they insulated?

[Life]

*** The Church Of Latter-Day Singles
<http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/cover/2005/cover0729.html>
Huan Hsu, Washington City Paper

Every time Janna Taylor goes to church, she sees babies, wedding rings, and pregnant women -- all reminders of what she's missing.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Singapore Airlines Not Interested In Qantas Merger, Chief Says
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000081&sid=a1Qan5NWVDgA&refer=australia>
Bloomberg

*** Singapore Boosts Incentive Travel
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/29Jul2005_biz72.php>
Sujintana Hemtasilpa, Bangkok Post

Singapore is reinventing its facilities for the Mice (meeting, incentive, convetion and exhibition) market in order to increase the proportion of the lucrative segment beyond the current 25% of total visitors.

*** Job Fair In Changi Prison Tears Down Walls
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/64039.asp>
Today

Here's a job fair with a difference: It will be held in Changi Prison and the job-seekers will be soon-to-be-released offenders.

[Opinion]

*** The Perpetuation Of Race
<http://coupdegras.zenguerrilla.org/?p=15>
Coup De Grace

Why celebrate diversity only through multiculturalism -- and then limit it to four races?

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]