[MyAppleMenu] Jul 26, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 26 13:15:00 EDT 2005

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Playing On Your iPod: Text Games
<http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,68290,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Jacob Ogles, Wired News

Since their heyday in the 1980s, text-based adventure games have dwindled to a niche market. Now, some developers think portable devices like the iPod and cell phones might breathe new life into the genre.

*** 'iPods Could Make You Hallucinate'
<http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/londoncuts/articles/19903160>
Mark Prigg, Evening Standard

Listening to an ipod could leave you with psychological problems, an expert warns. He says exposure to music is causing more cases of musical hallucination, where a song "plays" constnatly in the head.

*** Apple Joins Intel At CMU
<http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/business/s_357018.html>
Ron DaParma, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Computer technology giants Intel and Apple are setting up housekeeping together -- as neighbors -- on Carnegie Mellon University's campus in Oakland. Apple plans to open a research facility at CMU's Collaborative Innovation Center, Gov. Ed Rendell announced Monday.

*** Most Macs Missing From Amazon
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/07/25/most-macs-missing-from-amazon/>
Laurie A. Duncan, Unofficial Apple Weblog

A quick check showed that every Mac I clicked on except the Mac mini came up with "Currently unavailable."

*** Motorola Announces That They Aren't Announcing An iTunes Phone -- Yet
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/07/25/motorola-announces-that-they-arent-announcing-an-itunes-phone/>
Laurie A. Duncan, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** GarageBand 2.0.2 Available For Download
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/07/25/garageband/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

*** Microsoft's Map Ap Missing Apple HQ
<http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=1173521>
Leander Kahney, Wired News

*** PortalPlayer Turns Profit
<http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/tech/semis/10234541.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA>
Ronna Abramson, TheStreet.com

The supplier of chips and software for Apple's iPod music player said Monday that it reversed a second-quarter loss from a year ago on sales that more than tripled.

[Review]

*** Railroad Tycoon 3
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=608>
Richard Hallas, Inside Mac Games

I found it far quicker and easier to get into the game than I expected, and I also found it very enjoyable to play.

[Sidetrack]

*** Joel On Hitting The High Notes
Heng-Cheong Leong

Joel Spolsky <http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/HighNotes.html>: The Creative Zen team could spend years refining their ugly iPod knockoffs and never produce as beautiful, satisfying, and elegant a player as the Apple iPod. And they're not going to make a dent in Apple's market share because the magical design talent is just not there. They don't have it.

iPod is full of decisions that are based on style. And style is not something that 100 programmers at Microsoft or 200 industrial designers at the inaptly-named Creative are going to be able to achieve, because they don't have Jonathan Ive, and there aren't a heck of a lot of Jonathan Ives floating around.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Windows' New Vista
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002397450_microvista23.html>
Brier Dudley, Seattle Times

By naming the next version of Windows "Vista," Microsoft may have stepped on the toes of another software company just down the road in Redmond.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Many Internet Users Lagging On Lingo
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/rss/12217458.htm?source=rss&channel=siliconvalley_rss>
Ellen Lee, Knight Ridder

Most internet users know the difference between internet spam and the popular canned ham. But the vast majority don't know the terms "phishing," "podcasting" and "RSS feeds," according to a recently released study.

*** BBC Opens TV Listings For 'Remix'
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4707187.stm>
BBC News

Developers and designers are being encouraged to come up with innovative ways of using TV and radio schedules by taking part in a BBC competition.

*** Hitting The High Notes
<http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/HighNotes.html>
Joel Spolsky, Joel On Software

It's not just a matter of "10 times more productive." It's that the "average productive" developer never hits the high notes that make great software.

*** Goodbye, TrackBack
<http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenblog-archives/000589.html>
DrunkenBlog

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[World]

*** Londoners Grappling With Pervasive New Foes: Fear Ans Suspicion
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/26/international/europe/26mood.html>
Sarah Lyall, New York Times

It's a new geography for a new London.

[Life]

*** Learning Words They Rarely Teach In Medical School: "I'm Sorry"
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/26/science/26essa.html?8hpib>
Richard A. Friedman, New York Times

There is nothing in the Hippocratic Oath that tells doctors what to do when they make a mistake with a patient. Nor is there much on this subject in medical school curriculums or in residency training programs. But there should be.

*** Whose Work Is It, Anyway?
<http://chronicle.com/temp/email.php?id=o8h8vlj2ofj743drphhpuemwdfj30h3t>
Scott Carlson, Chronicle Of Higher Education

The use of 'orphan works' of art and literature, whose creators cannot be identified, puts scholars and artists at odds over changes in copyright law.

*** Tragedy Of The Airport
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2123240/fr/rss/>
Austan Goolsbee, Slate

Why you get stuck for hours at O'Hare.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Battle For Bank Deposits Heats Up In Singapore
<http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/050726/15/3tqg4.html>
Kevin Lim, Dow Jones

The battle for deposits is heating up in SIngapore amid efforts by foreign banks to increase their share of deposits through higher interest rates.

*** Merged Company Is Orange Star
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/63399.asp>
Chow Penn Nee, Today

But Jetstar, Valuair will still operate independently.

*** Three Nights Of Agonising NKF Gets Interim CEO -- But Prof Goh Reveals It Wasn't An Easy Decision
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/63376.asp>
Tan Hui Leng, Today

[Opinion]

*** High Ethical Standards Cannot Be Legislated
<http://www.asia1.com.sg/st/st_20050726_330800.html>
Chen Hwai Liang, Press Secretary to the Prime Minister, Straits Times

*** Singapore Impressions
<http://www.aplus.co.yu/life/singapore-impressions/>
Aplus Moments

In the end, this is one of the "nice to visit but I wouldn't live there" places.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]