[MyAppleMenu] Jul 10, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jul 10 13:15:00 EDT 2005

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Right iPod Accessories Look, Sound Good
<http://www.boston.com/business/personaltech/articles/2005/07/10/right_ipod_accessories_look_sound_good/>
Emily Shartin, Boston Globe

*** iPod Proves Bigger Isn't Always Better
<http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/entertainment/music/s_351763.html>
Regis Behe, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

In a society where value is linked to size, where bigger is seen as better, at least one pursuit inc ontemporary life keeps shrinking: listening to music.

[Opinion]

*** iTunes Renders Timely Podcasts Worthless
<http://www.learnandteachonline.com/pmach/comments.php?id=174_0_1_0_M>
Amy Bellinger

This caching thing for the audio files, it's a bigger problem than we thought. And for certain kinds of podcasts like mine, it's nothing short of a calamity.

*** The Biggest Hurdle
<http://www.alistairphillips.com/2005/07/09/the-biggest-hurdle/>
alistairphillips.com

I have been spending most of my Saturday afternoon conveting data over to MacOS and I must say that the hardest part has been getting email imported.

[Sidetrack]

*** Interesting Space
Heng-Cheong Leong

Here <http://www.woodster.com/blog/2005/07/09/good-office-layout/> we see an interesting office space full of Macs... although the presence of the fans (the big ones) do seem disturbing.

[Wintel]

*** Boing Boing Gets A Big Shovel, Spreads BS
<http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000841.html>
Ed Bott

The real story is that Microsoft has decided that high-profile adware makers who achieve a minimum threshold of disclosure (including Claria and WhenU) will be able to get an "ignore" rating.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Nobody Does Web Radio Better Than BBC
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-technopolis10jul10,1,4792428.column?coll=la-headlines-technology>
David Colker, Los Angeles Times

Live streams of music, news, entertainment -- plus archives -- are so good they can lure you to areas you might never have thought about.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Tech & Science]

*** Will Any Organ Do?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/10/magazine/10ORGANS.html?>
Gretchen Reynolds, New York Times

The issue, although freighted with monetary and bio-ethical complexities, can be boiled down to one deceptively simple question. Should transplant surgeons be using organs from nearly anyone?

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Singapore Open To A Qantas Merger
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/singapore-open-to-a-qantas-merger/2005/07/10/1120934127010.html>
Angela Macdonald-Smith, Sydney Morning Herald

Singapore's government will encourage Singapore Airlines to pursue links with Qantas, including a possible merger, the Transport Minister, Yeo Cheow Tong, said yesterday.

*** Singapore To Set Up Police MRT Unit To Enhance Security Of Transport System
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/157138/1/.html>
Valarie Tan, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore will be setting up a new police MRT unit that will be operational soon. Besides trains, buses will also install cameras to recrod everything that goes on inside.

*** Singapore Air CEO Calls For Consolidation
<http://www.forbes.com/business/services/feeds/ap/2005/07/09/ap2130367.html>
Associated Press

Singapore Airlines executive Chew Choon Seng said Sunday the global airline industry needs to consolidate as soaring oil prices continue to hit profits.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]