[MyAppleMenu] Jul 2, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 2 13:15:00 EDT 2005

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** KCRW Listeners Load Up On Podcasts Via iTunes
<http://www.latimes.com/business/custom/cotown/la-fi-podcast2jul02,1,793671.story?coll=la-headlines-business-enter>
Charles Duhigg, Los Angeles Times

Within a day, downloads from Santa Monica-based KCRW exploded from 3,500 a day to 100,000.

*** RSS Inventor Slams Apple's Podcast Approach
<http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050701_204557.html>
Scott Fulton, Tom's Hardware Guide

Leaders in the RSS community, including the standard's own creator, are taking Apple to task for developing an ill-advised DTD without seeking input and guidance from the community.

*** Apple 'Clear Winner' In Music Downloading
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/07/01/0701automarketscan04.html>
Forbes

*** David Ibgelow: The Tapeless Post-Production Workflow
<http://www.apple.com/pro/film/bigelow/>
Bija Gutoff, Apple

"I can shoot in varicam, edit in Final Cut Pro HD and deliver my files on inexpensive hard drives for transfer straight to film -- without any additional decks or equipment. That is the most efficient digital workflow I know of."

[Opinion]

*** Overload
<http://www.hypeless.net/index.php?p=20>
Hypeless

With film cameras, especially when you develop yourself -- each photograph has purpose, has meaning.

*** Podcasting: The Time Is Now
<http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=31&aid=84734>
Steve Outing, E-Media Tidbits

*** Plugged Leaks
<http://daringfireball.net/2005/07/plugged_leaks>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

[Review]

*** Podcasting Is good. Sometimes.
<http://www.bayoubuzz.com/articles.aspx?aid=4357>
Steve Sabuludowsky, Bayoubuzz.com

*** First 24 Hours With iTunes' Podcast Support
<http://www.oceansidenevada.com/blog/_archives/2005/6/29/984997.html>
Oceanside, Nevada

*** Ears To You: Five Sets Of Earphones/Headphones Compared
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/rantsandraves/2005/20050701.shtml>
Bob "Dr. Mac" Levitus, Mac Observer

[Sidetrack]

*** Light Up The Skies With Your Macintosh
Heng-Cheong Leong

Peter Skarpetis <http://blog.peter.skarpetis.com/archives/2005/07/02/mac-by-led-light/>: I recently took some pictures of my Mac in the dark with the only source of illumination being the blue lights of the hard disks, the red lights of the optical mouse and the green lights of my ADSL modem. I was really surprised by the results.

[Wintel]

*** Another "Microsoft Is On Deathbed" Article Posted
<http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2005/07/01.html#a10518>
Robert Scoble, Scobleizer

*** How Microsofft Will Die
<http://applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/dont_look_now_but_the_coroner_is_measuring_microsoft_for_a_black_suit/>
James R. Stoup, Apple Matters

If Microsoft fails to deliver something approaching decent with Longhorn then they will be in trouble.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Taiwan Court Rules In Favor Of P-To-P Company
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/07/01/HNtaiwanptop_1.html>
dan Nystedt, IDG News Service

*** MIT Develops Laptops For Schoolchildren
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/07/01/HNmitschool_1.html>
Martyn Williams, IDG News Service

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is developing a laptop computer that it plans to sell for $100 each to government agencies that will distribute them to schoolchildren.

*** New Tax For Broadband Customers?
<http://news.com.com/New+tax+for+broadband+customers/2100-1036_3-5772124.html?part=rss&tag=5772124&subj=news>
Anne Broache, CNET News.com

Many broadband customers will pay new universal service taxes akin to those on their telephone bills if Congress bows to suggestions from rural legislators.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[World]

*** Media: The PBS Paradox
<http://www.cq.com/public/media.html>
A.B. Stoddard, CQ

If it's already sinking, why not rock the boat? Do it hard enough and a little water just may drain out.

[Life]

*** Musicians Forced Into Fakery
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/02/arts/music/02pops.html?ex=1277956800&en=7ceaf4b9813db2b6&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Anthony Tommasini, New York Times

Officials at the New York Pops may now be thinking, "Be careful what you wish for."

*** Why Are Pop Singers So Samey And Sexless?
<http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/0000000CAC21.htm>
Barb Jungr, Spiked

Nowhere, it seems, is there a Frank Sinatra -- and please, please don't try to sell me Robbie Williams in this context.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Dubai Jeweller Has A Tough Time In Singapore
<http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/theuae/2005/July/theuae_July36.xml&section=theuae&col=>
DPA

*** 'Shrink Government' To Promote Risk Taking
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/59415.asp>
Today

"It's a difficult problem to solve because people only take risks if they have no choice."

[Opinion]

*** Presidential Elections Is Coming Soon Right?
<http://dickson.sg/?p=14>