[MyAppleMenu] Aug 20, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 20 13:15:01 EDT 2005

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** ATI Card Woos Mac And PC Owners
<http://news.com.com/2061-10792_3-5840043.html?part=rss&tag=5840043&subj=news>
Michael Singer, CNET News.com

Seems graphics chip maker is hedging its bets with the new Radeon 9600 Pro card.

*** iTunes Phone Won't Be At V Fest
<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25540>
Tony Dennis, The Inquirer

While certain sectors of the British press had convinced themselves that Motorola would announce its first operator deal with the UK's Virgin Mobile at the V music festival this weekend, a virgin Mobile insider denied it catagorially.

*** Josell Ramos And Chip Eberhart: The Foundation Of House
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/ramoseberhart/>
Dustin Driver, Apple

"Final Cut made me more comfortable with editing. I didn't need a huge technical support group like I would have with other programs."

*** STScl: Making The Universe Shake
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/stsci/>
Apple

How to take a 627-million-pixel image and turn it into a film? The answer to that problem was Shake.

[Opinion]

*** Google And Apple: Are They Media Bullies?
<http://www.fortune.com/fortune/fastforward/0,15704,1096261,00.html?promoid=yahoo>
David Kirkpatrick, Fortune

These tech darings are acting as though they don't understand how the internet has changed journalism -- and our lives. Maybe they should take PR lessons from Microsoft.

*** Podcasting Will Be A Losing Game For Most Big Media
<http://www.micropersuasion.com/2005/08/podcasting_will.html>
Steve Rubel, Micro Persuation

I doubt anyone will pay for podcasts from the MSM when they can get the same content free though other channels.

*** Silence Is Golden
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/08/macminiquiet/index.php?lsrc=editorsblog>
Jennifer Berger, Macworld

It's like a luxury car: I start it up and can't even tell it's running.

*** Mossberg: Full of Complaints About Subscriptions
<http://digitalmusic.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000790055163/>
Brat Hill, Digital Music Weblog

Subscription plans are not all about the To Go element.

*** That Application Support Idea
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7623?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Francois Joseph de Kermadec, O'Reilly Network

I cannot help but wish that applications could, much like in the early Mac OS X days, go back to a more organised file placement system.

[Review]

*** DEVONthink Goes Pro
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?14@301.3sZ5abfl5BW@.3c4f5c5c!discloc=.3c6d190d>
Matt Neuburg, TidBITS

*** What Is ClamXav (And Do Mac Users Really Need Antivirus?)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/08/19/clamav.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Francois Joseph de Kermadec, O'Reilly Network

*** Battle Of The Movie-Making Tools: Why Windows XP Movie Maker 2 Beats Apple's iMovie HD
<http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=377090&rl=1>
Matthew David, informit.com

*** Six Slick iPod Hacks
<http://playlistmag.com/features/2005/08/6ipodhacks/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Mathew Honan, Playlist

Enhancements for pimping out your 'pod.

[Sidetrack]

*** What Happens When Scoble Meets Steve Jobs
Heng-Cheong Leong

Well, nothing much <http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2005/08/19.html#a10906> apparently.

[Wintel]

*** Week In Review: Worm Wallops Windows
<http://news.com.com/Week+in+review+Worm+wallops+Windows/2100-7343_3-5838953.html?part=rss&tag=5838953&subj=news>
steven Musill, CNET News.com

A new worm initially thought to be pretty harmless ended up mutating into a series of worms that could shut down Windows PCs, leading some to believe that a war among hackers was to blame.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** A New Arms Race To Build The World's Mightiest Computer
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/19/technology/19super.html>
John Markoff, New York Times

Beyond the customary rivalry in the field between the United states and Japan, there is a new entrant -- China -- eager to showcase its arrival as an economic powerhouse.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Back To The Future
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml?xml=/travel/2005/08/20/etsing20.xml&sSheet=/travel/2005/08/20/ixtrvhome.html>
Mark Rowe, Telegraph

Even a country as modern as Singapore is determined not to forget those who died there in the Second World War.

*** LTA Offers Bigger Payout, Later Deadline
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/67814.asp>
Today

[Opinion]

*** Why Andrew Kuan Remained In JTC After Appraisal
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/67780.asp>
Kelly Wee, JTC Forporation, Today

If the issue is whether the staff's performance meets the standard expected by the Corporation, it is only fair that the person be given time to improve.

*** PM Lee, Second Year And Beyond
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/67792.asp>
Gillian Koh, Today

Citizens not only becoming more demanding, but also more active in complex global city-state.