[MyAppleMenu] Aug 17, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 17 13:15:00 EDT 2005

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Apple, Sony Among Those Named In New DRM Lawsuit
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1235>
Kasper Jade, AppleInsider

Five of the top companies in the online music industry are being sued by an individual who claims that the digital rights management software used by the internet's most popular musikc download services violates a seven-year-old technology patent.

*** Apple Security Update 2005-007 Breaks 64-Bit Native Applications
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/08/17/apple-security-update-2005-007-breaks-64-bit-native-applications/>
Laurie A. Duncan, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** The iPod: A Love Story Between Man, Machine
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/16/AR2005081601887.html>
JOse Antonio Vargas, Washington Post

The thing about the iPod is, it's what you bring to it.

*** A Soundtrack For Study
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1550202,00.html>
Shola Adenekan, The Guardian

Academics across the Atlantic have developed an appetite for new technology and are now embracing podcasting.

*** Inside Apple's iPod Patent Problems
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/08/16/ipodpatent/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Longtime industry analyst, Roger Kay said that even if Microsoft were to win a patent challenge from Apple, the chances of it having any significant effect on Apple's future business are slim.

*** Apple Won't See Pricing Issues Faced By Dell, Gateway
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/08/16/apple-dell-gateway-0816markets10.html>
Ed Lin, Forbes

Piper Jaffray said Apple isn't hurting from the same issues faced by Dell and gateway because component pricing is factored into Apple's guidance and Apple has "essentially maintained" average selling prices.

*** iBook Sale Erupts In Chaos, Stampede
<http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031784465530>
Richmond Times-Dispatch

Chaos erupted this morning at the Richmond Internetional Raceway as thousands of people stampeded through the gates in a rush to buy used iBook laptop computers for $50 each.

[Opinion]

*** I Want My iTunes Subscription Service!
<http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2005/08/i_want_my_itune.html>
Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek

Who better than Apple to figure out the existing challenges, and get the subscription model right, too?

*** Macs Are Safer Than Windows: Questioning The Numbers
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7606?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Neil Lee, O'Reilly Network

This report is still very positive for Macs, but the numbers quoted are very surprising.

[Review]

*** Ripping Audiobooks
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1849056,00.asp>
Kirk McElhearn, PC Magazine

iTunes is one of the best programs for ripping audiobooks.

*** Web Apps With Tiger: Getting Started
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/08/16/apache.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Kevin Hemenway, O'Reilly Network

Instead of learning more about Apache, we're going to treat it as the serving framework it really should be.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** An Xbox On Your Pillow
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB112423975566115116-clFDBM_c7kxXnP4XgFCeGqdFJrc_20060817,00.html?mod=rss_free>
Peter Sanders, Wall Street Journal

Boutique hotels start to add cutting-edge game gear.

*** PC Or Not PC?
<http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/08/15/BUGF9E6R4R1.DTL&type=tech%22>
Dan Fost, San Francisco Chronicle

As mroe classrooms incorporate computers, some observers worry that all the screen time is interfering with real learning.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Life]

*** When It Comes To Sald, Caesar Rules
<http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2005/08/17/when_it_comes_to_salad_caesar_rules/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Food+stories>
Andrea Pyenson, Boston Globe

The combination of crisp romaine lettuce leaves, lots of garlic, a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan, and a rich, creamy dressing -- ingredients that go into the classic Caesar -- have not changed much in the 80 years since the salad was created.

*** Faith And The Fish
<http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2005/08/faith_and_the_f.html>
mr brown

Next time I take Faith along to the aquarium, I am bringing reinforcements.

*** He Would've Wanted Everyone To Eat
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/10/dining/10fune.html>
Abe Opincar, New York Times

Funeral meals have always meant to assuage grief and to honor the dead and their beliefs about the hereafter. But feeding the grieving also has a fundamental aim. "They've been depleted by caregiving and bereavement. Grieving people must eat."

*** Lobster's Little Cousin, And Its Envy
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/17/dining/17lang.html?8hpib>
R.W. Apple Jr., New York Times

It is always the langoustines that make my head spin. Ah, langoustines!

*** In The Hospital, A Degrading Shift From Person To Patient
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/16/health/16dignity.html?ex=1281844800&en=8be8bf59fce04204&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss>
Benedict Carey, New York Times

The deeper psychological transformation from citizen to patient that occurs in almost any medical setting can be jarring, and anthropologists say it begins immediately at admission.

[EOF]

*** Evangelical Scientists Refute Gravity WIth New 'Intelligent Falling' Theory
<http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4133&n=2>
The Onion

"Things fall not because they are acted upon by some gravitational force, but because a higher intelligence, 'God' if you will, is pushing them down."

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Kuan Hit By Second Blow
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/67172.asp>
Derrick A Paulo, Today

First, his election hopes were floored -- now he faces legal woes.

*** At Forty, Singapore Craves More Of The Same
<http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=29909>
Kalinga Seneviratne, IPS

The dilemma facing the PAP is how to relax the political system without loosing its grip on power over the island and its people.

[Opinion]

*** A Price Too High To Pay?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/67164.asp>
Siew Kum Hong, Today

In trying to ensure that Singaporeans do not inadvertently elect a president who is not up to the job, our leaders may have -- equally inadvertently -- ensured that the elected presidency will forever remain a misnomer.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]