[MyAppleMenu] Apr 22, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Apr 22 13:15:01 EDT 2005

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Apple Store Ships Mac OS X Tiger For Early Delivery
<http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/04/22/apple.ships.tiger/>
MacNN

Apple has begun shipping Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

*** Man Mugged, Beaten By teens For iPod In Central Park
<http://www.wnbc.com/news/4405586/detail.html>
Associated Press

*** Apple Releases Java Update For Mac OS X v10.3.9
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/04/21/java/index.php>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

The update addresses an issue Apple described in a tech note published to its Support Web site earlier this week.

*** Video Pros Place Apple In Top Three For Spending
<http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/04/21/video.pros.on.apple/>
MacNN

Video professionals cite Apple as third most likely recipient of increased spending this year, trailing Sony and Avid slightly.

*** The Missing Sync For Hiptop Released
<http://www.macminute.com/2005/04/21/hiptop/>
MacMinute

*** Jobs Rebuts Eco-Group Claims At Annual Meeting
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/04/21/shareholders/index.php?lsrc=mwrss-0405>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

"They have good taste in picking the iPod, but that doesn't make their false statements true."

[Opinion]

*** Think Desire
<http://fluidimagination.typepad.com/muchtoomuch/2005/04/think_desire.html>
Much2Much

Why hasn't Apple changed the way we experience the web?

*** Apple Tech Support, I Love You
<http://blog.hardmac.com/archives/apple-tech-support-i-love-you>
HardMac's Blog

What follows is a compilation of experiences I had with the Apple support teams in France.

*** Skittish Adobe Buys Macromedia
<http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid={5f029dbf-8cca-4d48-9a3c-7e002192d1b0}&siteid=mktw&dist=SignInArchive&archive=true&param=archive&garden=&minisite=>
John C. Dvorak, MarketWatch

Acquisition in keeping with history of fear.

*** Tiger Math
<http://www.internet-nexus.com/2005_04_17_archive.htm#111411405573992275>
Paul Thurrott, Internet Nexus

Has anyone bothered to look at Apple's "200+ new features" claim? I mean, what exactly constitues a "feature"? In Apple's world, just about anything.

*** In Defense Of Music Phones
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/04/wo/wo_042105hellweg.asp?trk=top>
Eric Hellweg, MIT Technology Review

Given consumer willingness to accept seemingly deal-breaking tradeoffs to add features to their cell phones, I think it's unwise to bet against the eventual rise of music-enabled cell phones. And given people's preference to carry as few devices as possible, I think that growth will be at the expense of the iPod.

*** In Defense Of The iPod
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/04/wo/wo_052105roush.asp?trk=top>
Wade Roush, MIT Technology Review

There's still a portion of the iPod circle that's outside the cell phone circle, and if that segment is as big as I think it is, Apple won't see a major slowdown in sales.

*** It's All In The Presentation
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/04/nab3/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

I saw Apple's Phil Jackson give the SoundTrack demo during the Final Cut Studio announcement last Sunday, and it was amazing.

*** Usability Research
<http://blog.dannyngan.com/?p=283>
Poo-Poo Platter

I went down to Microsoft's RedWest campus during my lunch break today to participate in some usability testing for one of their Mac products.

*** Thinking Beyond The iPod
<http://www.telecomweb.com/news/1114111009.htm>
TelecomWeb

Phone-based music has tremendous potential but it doesn't necessarily lie in having Cingular become iTunes. It lies in discovering the unique ways in which mobile connectivity adds real value to people's love of music.

[Review]

*** GooBall
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=575>
Mark Satterthwaite, Inside Mac Games

This is a game I've been addicted to for a long while now, a situation its flaw haven't even dampened.

*** iTunes Radio And You
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2005/04/radioandyou/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Chirstopher Breen, Playlist

*** Hands On With The 17-Inch PowerBook
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/04/21/powerbookhandson/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Apple is continuing to innovate an dput useful updates in its PowerBook line.

*** Griffin EarJams
<http://www.neilturner.me.uk/2005/Apr/21/griffin_earjams_review.html>
Neil's World

On the one hand they actually make the iPod earbuds useful to me by ensuring that they actually stay in my ears, but the sound quality suffers as a result.

*** iPod Shuffle
<http://www.bobtheking.com/2005/04/ipod-shuffle-review_21.php>
Jeramey Jannene, BobtheKing

[Sidetrack]

*** Another Microsefs Influence?
Heng-Cheong Leong

New word from the Hallway <http://tvt.blogspot.com/2005/04/new-word-music-surfing.html>: Music Surfing on iTunes Music Store.

*** Microsoft PowerMac G5
Heng-Cheong Leong

Slap a sticker (or two) on the Power Mac G5, and we have a Microsoft PC <http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8096/Xbox-360-Development-Kit-Spotted/>. Great for developing games for the next version of Xbox.

[Wintel]

*** Going Long On Longhorn
<http://news.com.com/Going+long+on+Longhorn/2010-1071_3-5680345.html?part=rss&tag=5680345&subj=news>
Charles Cooper, CNET News.com

Mac owners -- your truly among them -- will no doublt chuckle at the audacity of some of the coming claims. Rest assured there will be no paucity of hyperbole in the remaining year-and-a-half run-up to the operating system's debut. It's going to be that way because every segment of the PC food chain is desperate for a megahit out of Microsoft.

*** Singapore's Creative Reports Earnings Dip
<http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/ap/2005/04/22/ap1967750.html>
Associated Press

"The strategy is to drive market share. This was our second consecutive quarter of selling 2 million MP3 players, an achievement that further position us as an industry leader in the explosive MP3 market."

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** All The News That's Fit To Wiki
<http://www.wired.com/news/ebiz/0,1272,67286,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Joanna Glasner, Wired News

Nearly six months into an experiment to apply the collaborative, information-gathering model known as a Wiki to the deadline-driven field of breaking news, operators of Wikinews are finding their mission rife with frustration and challenges.

*** China Is Closing The Tech Gap?
<http://news.com.com/China+closing+the+tech+gap/2100-7337_3-5680355.html?part=rss&tag=5680355&subj=news>
Ed Frauenheim, CNET News.com

China is rapidly becoming a major force in developing new technology, posing a significant economic threat to the United Staes.

*** Yahoo Releases E-Mail Of Deceased Marine
<http://news.com.com/Yahoo+releases+e-mail+of+deceased+marine/2100-1038_3-5680025.html?part=rss&tag=5680025&subj=news>
Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com

Complying with a court order, Yahoo agreed to give the family of a U.S. Marine killed in Iraq access to the soldier's e-mail.

*** Can Your Family Go A Week Without Computers?
<http://news.com.com/Can+your+family+go+a+week+without+computers/2100-1025_3-5680142.html?part=rss&tag=5680142&subj=news>
Alorie Gilbert, CNET News.com

Think your kids spend too much time online? The organizers of the first annual National PC-Turnoff Week hope families will soon learn to kick the habit.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[World]

*** U.S. To Earth: Drop Dead
<http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0516/050420_news_fairs.php>
Knute Berger, Seattle Weekly

'Nature's wisdom' is on display at a world's fair in Japan. But Bush's America is not keen on nature, wants to run the world, and hates fairs.

[Life]

*** Book Smart
<http://www.villagevoice.com/books/0516,fpress,63148,10.html>
Joy Press, Village Voice

Could cyberspace be the novel's best friend? Litblogs take off -- and grow up.

*** On Broadway, Ads Now Get To Play Cameo Roles
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/22/business/media/22adco.html?hp&ex=1114228800&en=615a87f9c81def15&ei=5094&partner=homepage>
Stuart Elliott, New York Times

Product placement and endorsement deals have long been staples in television shows, movies and radio programs and even, more recently, on video games. Now, advertisers, casting about for new ways to attract increasingly distracted consumers, have turned their attention to the theater world.

*** Automated Storyteller
<http://www.cbc.ca/arts/books/automated.html>
Andre Mayer, CBC

There is an acknowledged double standard in how we view a prolific genre writer and a fruitful literary author.

*** Rediscovering Brasserie Balzar
<http://www.megnut.com/2005/04/rediscovering-brasserie-balzar>
Meg Hourihan, Megnut

I loved our waiter. I loved our dinner. I loved Balzar once again.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Singapore Accuses Japan Of Straining Asian Ties
<http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?storyID=8263663&type=worldNews>
Jason Szep, Reuters

In an unusually blunt statement, Singapore's foreign affairs ministry said Japan should not have approved the privately published textbooks, which have prompted protests across China.

*** Lone Voice In Last-Ditch Appeal To Reverse Decision
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/46565.asp>
Val Chua, Today

"We will not know whether we made the right or wrong decision until, perhaps 10, 20 years later. By that time, the situation in Singapore would have deteriorated beyond recognition."

*** Hong Kong Has Asia's Best E-Business Environment
<http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=88603>
AFP

Hong Kong has overtaken Singapore as Asia's most electronically-savvy economy. Hong Kong vaulted over Singapore, which fell to 11th place, "thanks to innovative development of E-business services, a positive legal and policy environment and advances in mobile services."

*** Death Knell For Third NUS Campus?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/46506.asp>
Derrick A Paulo, Today

Prohibitive costs may scuttle Buona Vista facility plans.

[Opinion]

*** Premier CEO Escapes Jail Term
<http://www.cynics.info/journal/2005/04/premier_ceo_escapes_jail_term.php>
cynics.info

*** I Am Not Impressed
<http://www.michigan-experience.com/?p=20>
Michigan Experience

I visited the National University of Singapore today... and well, I think the title speaks for itself.

[Entertainment]

*** Toxic Plants Of Singapore
<http://www.jroller.com/page/roxanne/20050421#toxic_plants_of_singapore_with1>
Men Of Clay