[MyAppleMenu] Dec 28, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Dec 28 13:15:00 EST 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** iPod Spawns Micro-Economy
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,11792345%5E15302%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html>
James Doran, The Australian

The range of businesses adapting to this single product is so varied that the iPod could be said to have created its own micro-economy.

*** Apple To Blossom As Tech Recovers
<http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11793328%255E15317,00.html>
Richard Waters, News.com.au

The success of the iPod is likely to leave Apple as the only tech company with revenues of over US$10 billion and a growth rate of over 20 per cent.

*** Apple Releases Security Update 2004-12-27
<http://www.macnn.com/news/27411>
MacNN

[Opinion]

*** It'll Be A Happy New Year If Apple Lives Up To Predictions
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/tech/weekly/2967482>
Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle

Having scoured the rumor sites and probed the minds of Mac-savvy friends, I believe it's time for Dr. Mac's WWAD (What Will Apple Do) 2005.

[Review]

*** iPod Anywhere
<http://www.pcworld.com/digitalworld/article/0,aid,118184,00.asp>
James A Martin, PC World

With these accessories, you and your iPod can make beautiful music together just about anywhere.

*** It's An iPod! -- Now What?
<http://www.audiogogo.com/content/view/58/57/>
AudioGoGo

What kindo f care and feeding does your new best digital pal need?

[Sidetrack]

*** Tired Of Waiting...
Heng-Cheong Leong

I'm tired of waiting. The iPhoto book printing service never did arrived in Singapore, and I doubt the iTunes Music Store will ever materialise here either. So, I'm throwing this out, instead, to the Scobleizer <http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/>: when will Microsoft bring its Media Center PC to Singapore?

:-)

P.S: Sheal Israel <http://seems2shel.typepad.com/itseemstome/2004/12/getting_nasty_w.html>: Scoble is an evangelist for Microsoft and is totally enthused about its technology. What is news is that Scoble, at times, is among Microsoft's toughest critics... He's the most honest company evangelist youwill find, anywhere.

*** Hands to S.E. and S. Asia
Heng-Cheong Leong

Send your prayers and your power of urge via Flickr <http://www.flickr.com/groups/82224471@N00/>.

*** More Ways To Help
Heng-Cheong Leong

Singapore Red Cross <http://www.redcross.org.sg/press_bayofbengal_appeal.htm>.

More organisations and resources are listed in this blog <http://www.redcross.org.sg/press_bayofbengal_appeal.htm>..

*** Rumor Today: Taiwan's Asustek Wins Order For Apple's iPod Mini Player (With Flash)
Heng-Cheong Leong

AFX News Limited <http://www.forbes.com/technology/feeds/general/2004/12/27/generalafx_2004_12_27_AEF_0161-1007-ORD.PRD.ERN.TWN.USA.ASI.PAC.CMP..html?partner=yahoo&referrer=>: "With the flash memory-based device, Apple is apparently seeking to make further forays into the Asian Pacific market, Economic Daily News said.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[Top Stories]

*** Man And The Machines
<http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/January-February-2005/feature_sokis_janfeb05.html>
Benjamin Soskis, Legal Affairs

It's time to start thinking about how we might grant legal rights to computers.

[News]

*** Go Ahead, Just Try To Disappear
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-gps27dec27,1,7147933.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
David Colker, Los Angeles Times

Global positioning technology on mobile phones and other devices can track errant workers, teens or even pets. The price is privacy.

[Internet]

*** China's First IPv6 Network Enters Operation
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/12/26/HNchinaipv6_1.html>
Sumner Lemon, IDG News Service

China's first network based on IPv6 formally entered operation on Saturday.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[World]

*** Dozens Of Words For Snow, None For Pollution
<http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2005/01/12_402.html>
Marla Cone, Mother Jones

The Arctic has been transformed into the planet's chemical trash can, the final destination for toxic waste that originates thousands of miles away.

*** Iraq 2004 Looks Like Vietnam 1966
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2111432/fr/rss/>
Philip Carter and Owen West, Slate

Adjusting body counts for medical and military changes.

[Life]

*** In Europe, Reality TV Turns Grimmer
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/27/business/media/27reality.html?8hpib>
Doreen Carvajal, International Herald Tribune

It is Channel 4 in London that has pushed reality television -- or "factual programming" as it is politely called in Britain -- to new extremes, even for a country that has become a furiously humming factory for new reality ideas.

*** Mother Tongue
<http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=6608&category=&issue=496&author=81&AuthKey=e4ac12a903985fab7d6d7ede4bc1a134>
Richard Jenkyns, Prospect

What does the fashion for books about the state of hte ENglish language tell us? People care about their language because it forms part of their identity, and part of the resistance to changes in English is a resistance to chnage itself. But correct usage is not an elite affectation; it is a badge of competence.

*** Name That Decade
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2111435/fr/rss/>
Timothy Noah, Slate

Can we please agree on what era it is we're living in?

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Production Declines In Singapore
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/12/27/bloomberg/sxsing.html>
Stephanie Phang, Bloomberg

*** Cut Waste In System, Not Corners
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/singapore/story/0,5562,292762,00.html?>
Salma Khalik, Straits Times

With the cost of health care going up every year, the Ministry of Health has turned its sights to tackling the inefficiencies of the system.