[MyAppleMenu] Dec 20, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Dec 20 13:15:00 EST 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[Top Stories]

*** Apple's Computers Languish Next To iPod
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002124770_btapple20.html>
Wendy Tanaka, Knigth Ridder Newspaper

Is Apple playing the same old song, teasing investors yet again with a sizzling product that in the end will provide it with only a temporary boost?

[News]

*** iTunes Malaysia? 'No Annoucement Yet'
<http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2004/12/20/technology/9698423&sec=technology>
Chris Chong, Malaysia Star

The official line from Apple Malaysia, whenver the subject is brought up, is that there's nothing to announce, although it does not deny that that discussions are being held.

*** iPod Fans Get Into The Picture
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,66077,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Leander Kahney, Wired News

Not only are iPod users making their own ads for Apple, they're turning themselves into ads for Apple. iPod My Phto is a new web-based service that transforms any digital photo into a signature iPod silhouette-style ad.

*** Apple Takes Regent Street Office Space
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=10459>
Macworld UK

*** For Listeners With No Time, The Radio Show That Records Itself
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1410081,00.html>
Dan Sabbagh, The Times

Melvyn Bragg's heavyweight Radio 4 discussion programme In Our Time is hardly the obvious choice for the iPod generation. But last monght, the programme was downloaded 70,000 times on to listeners' computers and MP3 music players, in a new type of broadcasting that is set to become widespread soon.

*** Tangling With Technology? It's An Art
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-ca-tech19dec19,1,1706169.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
Scott Timberg, Los Angeles Times

Even skeptics are making peace with advancements that affect their fields and enhance the ways in which they express themselves.

[Opinion]

*** Lying To Get The Sale
<http://www.backupbrain.com/2004_12_19_archive.html#a004319>
Dori Smith, Backup Brain

Any time a salesdweeb starts off with something that's a clearly a lie, I stop listening.

[Review]

*** Altec Lansing inMotion iM3 Portable Audio System
<http://www.thetechlounge.com/review.php?directory=altec_lansing_im3>
TheTechLounge

For the shelf-space conservative iPod fanatic, an iM3 would make a great audio addition.

*** Miscellaneous Mac Tidbits
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/2004/12/19.html#a43>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

When I use my Powerbook in dark spaces like conference sessions, I find that even the dimmest backlight setting is too bright.

*** Mac Office
<http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id%3B1115506450%3Bfp%3B2%3Bfpid%3B37>
Joshua Gliddon, PC World

Office 2004 has some worth-while improvements but it's not compelling.

[Sidetrack]

*** A Lot Of Explaining To Do...
Heng-Cheong Leong

Dave Winer <http://archive.scripting.com/2004/12/20#When:12:22:31AM>: At some point Microsoft is going to re-staff the IE team in response to Firefox. When they do it, how will they explain the seven years during which they invested nothing in the user experience of the browser?

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** The Friendster Of Photo Sites
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/12/20/flickr/index_np.html>
Katharine Mieszkowski, Salon

On the photo-sharing site Flickr, instant and unlikely communities spring up around a wild universe of images, from cats and grocery day to giving birth.

*** Google's Two Revolutions
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6733225/site/newsweek/>
Steven Levy, Newsweek

The goal is to have everything at your fingertips, instantly available to anyone who wants to see it.

*** Rice University Computer Scientists Find A Flaw In Google's New Desktop Search Program
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/20/technology/20flaw.html?oref=login&ex=1261198800&#38;en=545b3e6c644c94a0&#38;ei=5088&#38;partner=rssnyt>
John Markoff, New York Times

THe glitch is what computer scientists call a composition flaw -- a security weakness that emerges when separate components interact.

*** Small Company Has Big Peer-To-Peer Dreams
<http://www.newsday.com/news/local/state/ny-bc-ny--profile-wurldmedi1219dec19,0,560182.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork>
Michael Hill, Associated Press

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[World]

*** War On The Cheap
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/20/opinion/20herbert.html?oref=login&ex=1261285200&>
Bob Herbert, New York Times

The people who were so anxious to launch the war in Iraq are a lot less enthusiastic about properly supporting the troops who are actually fighting, suffering and dying in it.

[Life]

*** Invisible Bias
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2004/12/19/invisible_bias/>
Chris Berdik, Boston Globe

A group of psychologists claim a test can measure prejudices we harbor without even knowing it. Their cirtics say they are politiczing psychology.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** SnowBall Party Should Not Be Gays Only
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/topstories/story/0,5562,291517,00.html?>
Straits Times

Lee Hsien Loong: "We allowed ti and we made it quite clear that it had to be a party which was not targeted at gays alone... As the party turned out, our sense of it was that it was beyond what we were prepared to accept. So we said no."