[MyAppleMenu] Jul 21, 2003

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 21 21:05:00 EDT 2003

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, Jul 21, 2003

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Euro iPhoto Print Ordering Cheer (Johnny Evans, Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=6625>
Kodak is preparing to launch its online photo-development service Ofoto in the UK and Europe, indicating that iPhoto's print-ordering feature may finally be made available to non-US users.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Apple Lowers Prices On Some Edu. Store Items (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news/20278>

Apple, Google Win Top Awards At AO Innovation Summit (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2003/07/21/ao>
Apple won the Top Innovation Award for its iTunes Music Store at AlwaysOn 2003: The Innovation Summit.

REALbasic Update To Support Linux (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/07/21/realbasic/>
REAL Software Inc. has announced plans to support Linux with its release of REALbasic 5.5, the forthcoming upgrade to its development environment that's already available for Mac and Windows.

Quark Offers Look At Mac OS X Future (Nick Ciarelli, Microsoft Watch)
<http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,0,1199020,00.asp?kc=MWAV103039TX1K0000565>
In its first major appearance since the debut of a Mac OS X-native version of QuarkXPress, the DTP powerhouse said it's "dedicated to Apple" despite its development Windows efforts.

Omni Sees Macintosh Future In Microsoft's Back Yard (Seattle Times)
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001186040_btinterface21.html>
"This is the beginning of what I see as the golden age of software."

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Is The Future Of The Mac Web In Jeopardy? (TheMacMind)
<http://www.themacmind.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=282&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0&POSTNUKESID=6a8044fbde9ce601a85ef4cdef2e16c5>
I don't want to see any of the Mac web go away but it is destined to happen.  We're all supporting a niche platform, but now advertising revenue isn't covering all the costs.

Can An MP3 Glutton Savor A Tune? (Rogier Van Bakel, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/17/technology/circuits/17tune.html?ex=1059451200&en=bb841ef33b36adb4&ei=5006&partner=ALTAVISTA>
With so much worthwhile music pouring into my computer and from there into my iPod, none of it seems quite as long-lasting or momentous as the old tunes.

Why I Want A Pentium Mac (David Coursey, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2914316,00.html>
This Windows option would appeal to people who play games and others who are concerned that som epiece of software they need won't be available on Mac.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne (Shawn McGaff, MacTeens)
<http://www.macteens.org/reviews_more.php?id=103_0_8_0_M>
The single player can be a bit lacking and difficult, but most people will want to buy this for the great multiplayer action.

NetNewsWire (Dan Shafer, itopik)
<http://www.itopik.com/newsreaders/reviews/nnw/>
I love NNW. It is one of the five most useful applications in my online life and ranks right up there with the Web browser in utility and value.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
DHS Had Little Choice But To Sign Microsoft Deal, Despite Security Flaws (Dan Verton, Computerworld)
<http://www.computerworld.com/governmenttopics/government/story/0,10801,83240,00.html>
"The real alternative was to go open-source. But for 22 agencies, an overwhelming majority of which use nothing but Microsoft operating system, to convert to another platform in an efficient and cost-effective manner would have been hard to accomplish."

Intel Turns 35: Now What? (David L. Margulius, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/07/18/28FEintel_1.html>
Faced with softening demand for faster microprocessors, the company is revising its playbook.

More Wintel News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : Top Stories
----------------------------------
Apple Co-Founder Creates Electronic ID Tags (John Markoff, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/21/technology/21ZEUS.html>
Wheels of Zeus and its chief executive, Steve Wozniak, developed WozNet, which is a technology that can tell people the position of anything that carries its locator tag.

Technological McCarthyism (Robert Buderi, MIT Technology Review)
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/buderi0703.asp>
U.S. science and technology, and indeed economic growth, have always benefited from a continual influx of talented foreigners who embrace democratic ideals and opportunities and therefore stay in the country -- where they make wonderful contributions. Increasingly, these talented people have many other options in Europe and Asia.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow : News & Opinions
--------------------------------------
In Gyms, Few Are Smiling For The Camera (Jeannine Stein, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-he-bodywork21jul21,1,4955523.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
Cell phones that also take pictures raise concerns about privacy in L.A.'s health clubs.

Is MIT A Security Risk? (Sally Atwood, MIT Technology Review)
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/atwood0703.asp>
International students may head for more welcoming countries as U.S. strategies to deter terrorism ramp up at educational institutions such as MIT.

Coming Soon To A Laptop Near You (Economist)
<http://www.economist.com/science/tq/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1841020>
After years of patient development, light-emitting diodes made from plastics rather than semiconductors are poised to take on the venerable liquid-crystal display.

Deep Links Are Legal In Germany. Official (Drew Cullen, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/31838.html>
Deep-linking has won the legal thumbs-up in Germany.

MyAppleMenu Reader : World
--------------------------
France And Us (Richard Brookhiser, American Heritage)
<http://www.americanheritage.com/AMHER/2003/04/france.shtml>
The French helped us win our Revolution. A few years later we were at war with Napoleon's navy. The two countries have been falling in and out of love eve rsince. Why?

MyAppleMenu Reader : Life
-------------------------
After Blair Fiasco, Times Considers Ombudded Journalism (Howard Kurtz, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20528-2003Jul20.html>
The icy opposition to hiring an ombudsman at the New York Times appears to be melting.

What's In A Name? In This Case, Fancy Sandwiches (Sarah Lyall, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/21/international/europe/21LOND.html>
"Trading on one's family name is not derogatory anymore, at least not in my view."

There's No Tiptoeing Past Shoe Policy (Susan Stellin, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/20/travel/sundaytravel/20shoes.html>
Until recently, the Transportation Security Administration has been tight-lipped about its apparent shoe fetish, but on July 10, the agency finally clarified its policy.

MyAppleMenu Reader : Expressions
--------------------------------
View From A Headlock (Jonathan Lethem, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?030728fi_fiction>
"Let me see it for a minute." Let me see it: you saw a basketball or a pack of baseball cards or a plastic water gun by taking it into your hands, and what happened after that was in doubt. Ownership depended mostly on not letting anyone see anything. If you let a kid see a bottle of Yoo-hoo for a minute, he'd drink what was left of it.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Not Time To Uncock The Champagne Yet (Raju Chellam, Business Times)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/bizit/story/0,4574,88299,00.html?>
In Singapore, corporate IT budgets are tightening as more companies look at ways to cut costs. But this may change next year.

The Singapore Screen Fantasy (Kim-Kyna Tan, Today)
<http://www.todayonline.com/index_home.htm>
Money is everything when you want to play catch-up in the global film-making arena.

Mixed Bag For Cable TV Shows (Samuel Lee, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,4386,200657,00.html?>
A slowdown in new subscriptions did little to affect viewership, which actually went up because of the Iraq war in March and Sars a month later.

More Singapore News at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>

More
----
Internet News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/internet/>
Linux News <http://www.myapplemenu.com/linux/>

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright &copy; 1996-2003 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.